Interview tips for the student interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

remo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any non-trads have tips for doing the student interviews? I don't have a problem with the faculty or MD interviews but the student ones seem a little weird. The student interviewers I have had seem either a little unprepared or untrained in how to interview. I'm also at least 10 years older then the ave med student. Should I treat these interviews differently than the faculty interviews? I have heard that the student interview is more about finding out whether you will fit in with the class rather than the specifics of your app.

Members don't see this ad.

Any non-trads have tips for doing the student interviews? I don't have a problem with the faculty or MD interviews but the student ones seem a little weird. The student interviewers I have had seem either a little unprepared or untrained in how to interview. I'm also at least 10 years older then the ave med student. Should I treat these interviews differently than the faculty interviews? I have heard that the student interview is more about finding out whether you will fit in with the class rather than the specifics of your app.

Yeah, I've had a really hard time with the student interviews, personally. The three places I've had them at have been the three most difficult interviews. Then again, they are also the three places I've been accepted at, so I probably didn't mess them up too much. I think you just need to be friendly and not come off as arrogant, strange, or unrealistic about yourself or your goals; and ask them lots of questions and show that you're REALLY interested in the school. The difference between a student interview and a regular interview is that they have a much better understanding of what you're going through and what might be going through your mind. I think the application process is way different now compared to what our faculty interviewers went through, so they just do not appreciate where you're coming from.

They're mainly conversational kinds of interviews, so pretend like you've just randomly met this kid and found out s/he goes to a med school that you're very interested in attending yourself. (Hopefully this isn't too much of a stretch. ;) ) What would you want to know? I asked about student life, how well do older students fit in, why they chose their school, that kind of thing. They invariably will tell you that the students are pretty tight, they love their nontrads, and the main reason why they chose the school was because of the people. :p If they don't say that, run like h*** away from that school.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Be confident. You deserve to be there and show it.
2. Give a firm handshake to everyone in the room.
3. When being asked a question, look the person who is asking in the eye. This shows that you are paying attention to them.
4. When given an answer look at everyone in the room, not just the person asking the question. Give everyone the respect and attention they have earned being the position they are in.
5. You do not have to answer a question right away. If you need a few seconds to think about your answer this is alright.
6. Review your applications
7. Look at the school's website and get as much information about the school as you can.
8. when asked if you have any questions, your only answer is YES.
9. When the interview is finished, once again, shake everyone's hands with confidence.
10. Send thank you notes and know that you did a good job.

The best advice I can give you is to be yourself. Student interviewers (I would hope) tend to view applicants more as potential colleagues (unlike faculty, student interviewewrs probably don't care what the GPA or MCAT are once they are here....but care very much if the applicant is rude, under-prepared, or show little interest in/know nothing about our school). Make sure you are willing to talk about all of the information on your AMCAS form as this will form the basis of most of the conversation. I've seen one or two applicants write about all this great research experience they have - only to be unable to discuss it at the interview. Not good. In addition, be prepared to say why you applied to this medical school; saying "friendly students" or "nice anatomy lab" is far too general. Try to be specific, and do your homework on the school.

It was not too long ago that student interviewers were medical schools applicants and so most really do understand how hard it is to gain admission.

Well, I hope that helps! Relax, be yourself, keep it real, and have fun.