Interview Tomorrow, Please Help!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOnut

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am interviewing tomorrow for EM/IM and I was wondering if you guys could give me some good examples of what types of questions I should be prepared for. I'm interviewing at St. Barnabas Hospital, a good osteopathic program in the South Bronx. I'm a little nervous.....I'm a virgin :scared:

Any advice you guys can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

DOnut

Members don't see this ad.

interview this early? damn

Members don't see this ad :)
This may come a little late for you, but here's a list of questions (no particular order) that Ken Iserson lists in his book as ones for which you should be prepared. It's still early, and you can think about them for future interviews. Good luck!

1. Do you have any questions?

2. Tell me about yourself:

3. What do you do in your spare time?

4. If you could be any cell in the human body, which would you choose to be, and why?

5. If your house was burning, what three objects would you take?

6. What are your strengths and weaknesses?

7. Why should we take you in preference to the other candidates?

8. What would be the toughest (most enjoyable, least enjoyable) aspects of this specialty?

9. With what people do you have trouble working?

10. With what patients do you have trouble dealing?

11. Who are your heroes?

12. What is your energy level like?

13. What were the major deficiencies in your medical school training?

14. How do you explain (Problems with your record)

15. Have you always done the best work of which you are capable?

16. How well do you function under pressure?

17. What are your plans for a family? [illegal question]

18. Tell me about the patient from whom you learned the most.

19. What error have you made in patient care?

20. With what subject or rotation did you have the most difficulty?

21. Why did you want to go into this specialty?

22. I don't think you'd be right for this program/specialty. [be prepared to tell them why they are wrong]

23. Why did you apply to this program?

24. Teach me something in five minutes.

25. If a patient just stabbed your best friend..?

26. Where do you see yourself in five/ten years?

27. How do you see the delivery of health care evolving in the twenty-first century?

28. What problems do you think the specialty faces over the next five, ten years?

29. What do you think of what is happening in the… (Economy? Mideast? Congress?)

30. Where else have you interviewed?

31. What if you don't match?

32. Can you think of anything else you would like to add?

33. If we offered you a position today would you accept?

What kind of people are your friends?

In which situations are you most efficient and effective?

To which organizations do you belong?

If you could no longer be a physician, what career would you choose?

How do you make important decisions?

How do you normally handle conflict?

What will be the toughest aspect of this specialty for you?

How well do you function under pressure?

Thanks for the replys!! It really wasn't bad. The list of questions that the last person posted is pretty on point. The only question that stumped me for half a second was, "if you could dramatically change anything in your past, what would it be and why."

They also showed a Chest X-ray and an EKG, then asked how I would systematically approach each. It was fine!!

Well, 1st one down and I feel pretty good!!!

Also for anyone interested in St. Barnabas, they are getting three new ultrasound machines for the ED. I don't know the specifics, but Dr. Spevack said that they will be coming very soon.

DOnut said:
Thanks for the replys!! It really wasn't bad. The list of questions that the last person posted is pretty on point. The only question that stumped me for half a second was, "if you could dramatically change anything in your past, what would it be and why."

They also showed a Chest X-ray and an EKG, then asked how I would systematically approach each. It was fine!!

Also for anyone interested in St. Barnabas, they are getting three new ultrasound machines for the ED. I don't know the specifics, but Dr. Spevack said that they will be coming very soon.

Congrats on the great interview.... i was thinking, why dont we make this an "interview question" thread? i know there was a website that did this when i was in medschool but i think it would be a great ide if people would post up some of their interesting interview questions or questions that stumped them

DOnut said:

yeah, i agree this what great to hear. i got an interview offer from St. Barnabas for the EM program, just haven't settled on what date yet. good to hear these questions.

Hi Donut,

1) Why EM/IM?
2) What makes you unique compared to other applicants?
3) Strengths and weaknesses?
4) Why that specific program?
5) What do you think makes you a good fit for the program?
6)Where do you see yourself after residency and what are your long term goals?

Let me know if you're applying to our EM/IM program here in Chicago, maybe i can give you some more pointers - please e-mail me if you have any questions regarding our program. If you'll be at Orlando, do stop by our booth.

Good luck and congrats on the interview,
Ahmed

Ahmed Nadeem DO
PGY-2 MWU-CCOM EM Program

Thanks for the questions nadeem,

Sorry for the delay in my post. I'm up in Buffalo doing an EM elcetive right now. Anyway, yes I am also applying to the Chicago program as well. Any additional (inside scoop ;) ) you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!!

DOnut