Interview Updates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Global Disrobal

Along for the ride
Moderator Emeritus
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry about the long lay off gang... I've been on the interview trail.

So, how about we start dropping a couple of lines about places we've interviewed at? Shall I get the ball rolling, or are there objections?

By the way, what the heck is the deal with the recent posts? When you come across ignorant people, simply ignore their posts as they thrive on the attention they get!

Anyhow, best of luck to everyone!

GD

PS Kiki and AZDOC how goes everything?

Members don't see this ad.

welcome back, GD!

would love to hear your stories from the interview trail. i hope all is going well for you.

I'll start because I would love to hear from everyone else. I found that the most valuable information I got on my interview was from the other applicants, talking about their home programs or programs that they did externships at, etc.

I went to Beth Israel Deaconess in Boston. It's a small program, 5 residents now, possibly adding a sixth. I liked them a lot. There was a get together with the residents the night before which was really nice and there was a really good turnout. And you could tell that the residents genuinely get along because you could watch everyone hang out. It sounds like a very academic program with a lot of teaching, both didactic and practical. Everyone just seemed happy. The only con was that I heard that the hospital has been in financial troubles but that they're bouncing back. I'd be happy to provide any more information if anyone wants it, I'm just not sure how much you want to read.

My advice after one interview: 1) comfortable shoes 2) if there's a resident get together, try your best to be there because it makes the next day more comfortable--you've already met the residents and some of the other applicants. 3) be ready with questions. This program was almost more interested in our questions than in asking us any.

Good luck!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with RFS on the suggestions. The night before the interview has proven invaluable at each place so far. Not only is it a chance to break the ice, but alot of good tidbits can be picked up as well. The shoes and comfort measures are pretty self explanatory.

I did hit some common questions on the various interview sites, such as:

"Are you not worried about the fact the the number of males is declining so rapidly in the field?"

"What are your thoughts on the 'male' issue in OB-Gyn and where do you think its headed?'

"tell me something about yourself that is not on the ERAS material"

"Why this institution as supposed to our competitor (so and so hospital)?"

"How did you decide on OB-Gyn as a choice?"

"Are you applying to other specilaties?"

Anyway, I hope this helps...

Good Luck

I have been on three thus far.

My interviews have all been pretty low stress, and I have been made to feel pretty comfortable. No crazy questions like some of my classmates applying have had like, how do you feel about the war in iraq. the dinner the night before has been really helpful to get comfortable with the residents. One place i went though, the residents sat and talked with each other and we were all at a huge table that sat 20, so you could only really talk to the person on either side of you.