Interview w/ Dentist. Questions to Ask?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Longcatislong

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So a friend of the family is a dentist, doesn't own his own practice but is an associate for a small general practitioner. I have an opportunity to sit down, one-on-one with him and ask questions regarding dental school, his practice, etc.

What sorts of questions would you ask? (aside from the obvious ones like 1) why dentistry?, 2) best/worst parts of your job...)

Members don't see this ad.

So a friend of the family is a dentist, doesn't own his own practice but is an associate for a small general practitioner. I have an opportunity to sit down, one-on-one with him and ask questions regarding dental school, his practice, etc.

What sorts of questions would you ask? (aside from the obvious ones like 1) why dentistry?, 2) best/worst parts of your job...)

- do you ever see yourself owning your own practice?
- are you having difficulties paying off your undergrad+dental school loans?
- would you do it all over again?
- on average, how many hours per week do you work?
- would you ever specialize? (if yes) in what area and why?
- did you do a 1-year GP residency after dental school?... discus this a little more to see why he did/didn't do it
- would you recommend dentistry to others, such as myself? (if no) find out why
- What was your favorit science class in first 2 years of dental school? most hated class?

Okay, im running out of questions haha