Dentist vs Travel Nurse

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredentist420

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I got recently accepted into dental school but I've been looking into this travel nurse thing. It would only be 1 more year of schooling rather than 4 years, and a lot less expensive and difficult. The salary of a travel nurse is anywhere from 80k to 200k from what I've read. So the pay doesn't really seem much different from a dentist's. Can someone please chime in?

Members don't see this ad.

If you like gig work, travel nurses and locum tenens/travel dentists sound great. I'm sure if you like the hustling life, you can be very successful.

Have you talked to and networked with anyone who has done this? Post pandemic, many hospitals like hiring contract workers to address shortages. Of course this means you start to affect patient care if you just staff your ward with just Temps. It is a horrible trend.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
There's quite a difference in nursing and dentistry. And like Mr. Smiles states - it's gig work and temporary. Yes there's money to be made but assignments vary and relocating every 3-6 months would get old. If you're young (or once kids are grown and flown), the appeal is there to travel and try different types of nursing in various settings. Some of my friends did this when we graduated nursing school, but eventually life happens - marriage, kids, aging parents, and the desire to be grounded in one place. Not to mention building a rapport with patients, colleagues, community, etc.... which result in more stability in one's life and better patient outcomes overall.

I see the $$ in temp/travel nursing being a trend for a while because of the shortages but it won't last forever.

Have you done shadowing in dentistry and nursing?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you the same person who asked about applying for HPSP and drug testing at MEPS?

If you aren't sure you want to be a dentist, maybe do a little soul searching, but quickly as a deposit is due soon, right? You worked hard in undergrad and took all the steps to apply to dental school.....what's your hesitation?

OP, it seems like you really have no idea what you want to do?

Like @Spahrtan has said, you did all this work to get accepted, you shadowed the required amount, you said yes to spending thousands of dollars to apply and interview and now there's the hesitation? It isn't adding up. I know there can be some doubt, but if you've made it to this point already, then the school feels confident you can get through their curriculum.

Nurses have less autonomy than dentists, and your salary will be capped, unlike a dentist. You might work crummy hours and travel a lot which is exhausting in it's own way. Eventually if you want to settle down you might have to take a pay cut to be where you want to. In the end, yes nursing probably is less difficult but it has other parts that might be more difficult than dentistry. You really should shadow a nurse before jumping ship from an opportunity given to you.

Reactions: 2 users
Not sure now to quote my response to your reply on my thread but definitely see what I wrote. If you have an acceptance to Dental School just go to it. You don't want to regret it in the future.

Reactions: 1 user
There are people who are begging to be accepted and then there are... 😶

Look, dentistry is a rough career. If you're not sure about this, don't do it. Even some of those who WANTED to do this drop out mid way. Before you rack up the debt, get out.

My friend is a travel nurse. He started his pre-reqs when I started dental school. 7 years later, I am finishing residency and he has been making 6 figures a yr.

so yes, the path is shorter and he makes more money for now. It's definitely a grind, and he works very hard. but his schooling was a lot shorter, a lot cheaper.

if you aren't sure what to do, consider getting a deferral for d school acceptance

My friend is a travel nurse. He started his pre-reqs when I started dental school. 7 years later, I am finishing residency and he has been making 6 figures a yr.

so yes, the path is shorter and he makes more money for now. It's definitely a grind, and he works very hard. but his schooling was a lot shorter, a lot cheaper.

if you aren't sure what to do, consider getting a deferral for d school acceptance
But would you say that the grind to dental school would be worth it because you'll make more than him eventually?

Nursing and dentistry are so incredibly different careers they are not even comparable. That’s like asking if you should become a pilot or a dentist because they make similar amounts. Choose what type of work you want to do, and do that.

Idc what anyone on this thread claims, 99% of dentists will out earn travel nurses in their careers. Travel nursing hit a boom and is declining. It is NOT the norm for nurses to make >100k.

Reactions: 2 users
Nursing and dentistry are so incredibly different careers they are not even comparable. That’s like asking if you should become a pilot or a dentist because they make similar amounts. Choose what type of work you want to do, and do that.

Idc what anyone on this thread claims, 99% of dentists will out earn travel nurses in their careers. Travel nursing hit a boom and is declining. It is NOT the norm for nurses to make >100k.
totally - OP needs to figure out more what he/she wants to be doing in the long run

What made you want to do dentistry in the first place? Like everyone else has said it’s wildly different than nursing. The average travel nurse in my state makes a little under $100k, so what’s the probability of making close to $200k? What is pushing you to be interested in being a nurse? If it’s simply money and time frame go for it, you don’t seem to really care for it you’ll enjoy the work. How many years does it take to become the small percent that makes the most as a travel nurse. I don’t know anything about being a travel nurse, but I imagine those that get the best contracts have a decent amount of experience. How long do you think you could be a travel nurse for, before 1. Your life changes and 2. Before there isn’t much demand for them.

You don’t seem set on dental school. I couldn’t imagine spending that much in tuition for something I’m not certain I want to do. I know someone else said just do dentistry since you’ve been lucky enough to be accepted, I think that’s a horrible
Idea if you are already considering jumping ship.