Interview With Research Professor, Need Advice!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Confused 20

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have an interview with a research professor at the University of Connecticut Health Center tomorrow and I am very frightened. If everything goes well I will assist her in a research assignment the she is currently involved in. Can anybody give me advice on how to dress and act? What type of questions do you think that she will ask? Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I would dress business casual - if you're a guy, wear nice pants and a button up shirt, tie optional (although it's probably better to be safe than sorry). If you're a girl, a skirt or nice pants and a nice blouse is fine. She'll probably ask you what about her work interests you, so I would read some of her more recent published research articles, and anything about her research that's available on her website (if she has one, it will probably be on the UConn webpage). She may ask you about any relevant coursework you've done. I'd bring a resume if you have one that you haven't already given to her, just in case she asks. It probably won't be very stressful though, so don't worry!

The single most important thing you need to do is ask about his/her's research!

Do your homework and show interest in whatever it is.
Its the best compliment you can give a researcher.

Act interested in her research, and mention if you're familiar with any of the techniques that she will expect you to do (like PCR, cloning, etc). I wouldn't be too freaked out, because lots of researchers want assistants to do the stuff that the grad students don't want to do, so you're in a pretty good position to get the job anyway.