Quantcast

interview worries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beard

I Hate Cavities
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
is there anyone out there who was originally a pre-med student which changed to dentistry? do dental schools hold it against you for applying to medical school before dental?
i took the MCAT twice during 2004 and applied to medical school. i have recently decided to try dentistry. i took the DAT and scored well enough to get an interview.
can someone give me advice on what i can tell the committee if they ask me why all of a sudden i changed my mind?
thanks,
beard

eddiescott

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
beard said:
is there anyone out there who was originally a pre-med student which changed to dentistry? do dental schools hold it against you for applying to medical school before dental?
i took the MCAT twice during 2004 and applied to medical school. i have recently decided to try dentistry. i took the DAT and scored well enough to get an interview.
can someone give me advice on what i can tell the committee if they ask me why all of a sudden i changed my mind?
thanks,
beard

They wont like it b/c it obviously looks like you have no clue what you want to do and they are second best.

I think it will hurt you.

Kiluminati

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just make up miracle-esque story about dentistry that had happened to you recently and tell them that's why you switched. They'll buy it.

TucsonDDS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
tell them the truth. I had previously applied to Med school (except it was 6 years ago or so) and I told the interviewers that after I worked in the field for a while I realized I didn't want to be a doctor any more. Did you not get into Med school or did you withdraw your application. If you withdrew or didn't apply in the first place just tell them that you didn't want to be a doctor after you had more exposure to the field and the exposure that you have had in dentistry has changed your life.

jk5177

Just Kidding
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good question, and good posts. The joy of SDN in the morning wee hours before my path micro class. Gotta go. Can't read all your beautiful posts anymore.

beard

I Hate Cavities
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
TucsonDDS said:
tell them the truth. I had previously applied to Med school (except it was 6 years ago or so) and I told the interviewers that after I worked in the field for a while I realized I didn't want to be a doctor any more. Did you not get into Med school or did you withdraw your application. If you withdrew or didn't apply in the first place just tell them that you didn't want to be a doctor after you had more exposure to the field and the exposure that you have had in dentistry has changed your life.

i actually turned in my primary application to the medical school in 2004 but never turned in the secondary application because i then began hearing and learning great things about dentistry. i have just the other day applied to dental school and waiting for an interview. i am also just starting to shadow a local dentist.
they should not hold this against anyone. its not my fault that i am a late bloomer.

thanks for the info.,
beard

Sprgrover

Pulped out Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
beard said:
i actually turned in my primary application to the medical school in 2004 but never turned in the secondary application because i then began hearing and learning great things about dentistry. i have just the other day applied to dental school and waiting for an interview. i am also just starting to shadow a local dentist.
they should not hold this against anyone. its not my fault that i am a late bloomer.

thanks for the info.,
beard

I am sure this will come up in your interviews. Just be honest and give a firm and concise answer that doesn't raise any questions about your commitment and desire to become a dentist. Keep us posted on how things progress for you!

TucsonDDS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
beard said:

thanks for the info.,
beard

That is pretty much what I did except I didn't really figure out I didn't want to be a doctor until sitting in an actual interview and I was asked what I would do if I didn't get in. I thought about it for a while and said "you know, I don't really want to be a doctor" Needless to say, I didn't get accepted. When I went home I cancelled a couple of other interviews that I had scheduled. It took me 6 more years before I realized what I wanted to do in life and I start in the fall.

Sprgrover

Pulped out Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
TucsonDDS said:
...I thought about it for a while and said "you know, I don't really want to be a doctor" Needless to say, I didn't get accepted...

That's hilarious - and so brutally honest too! Congratulations on starting dental school in the fall!

jk5177

Just Kidding
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
TucsonDDS said:
That is pretty much what I did except I didn't really figure out I didn't want to be a doctor until sitting in an actual interview and I was asked what I would do if I didn't get in. I thought about it for a while and said "you know, I don't really want to be a doctor" Needless to say, I didn't get accepted. When I went home I cancelled a couple of other interviews that I had scheduled. It took me 6 more years before I realized what I wanted to do in life and I start in the fall.

Hey TucsonDDS:

Thanks for your open honesty. I also appied for medical schools two years ago, but realized that it was more out of pride than practicality and interest. Dental school is it for me.
I'm curious how come it took you six more years before you realized what it is you wanted to do? The two fields do have some similarities, so couldn't you have figured it out sooner? No offense intended.

DrTacoElf

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was originally medical and the dental schools loved it because I had VERY good reason for changing after not being accepted into medical school (after 5 interview rejections to medical). It made my interview process quite easy actually -- because it was ALWAYS a central topic of discussion and as such it resulted in 5/5 acceptances to dental school :D.

jk5177

Just Kidding
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
DrTacoElf:

So what do you tell them regarding the reason why you switched?

DrTacoElf

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
jk5177 said:
DrTacoElf:

So what do you tell them regarding the reason why you switched?

Here is what I said in a nutshell. When I applied to medical school it was all about the academic challenge and scientific interest. I volunteered in free clinics and the ER, but never really shadowed a MD 1:1 (like i did with several dentists and an endo). I had no real idea what their jobs were actually like after the schooling was over (which by the way is what really counts). Here is what I determined that I value in a career in my downtime after graduation while I was working as a research tech in a biomedical engineering lab.

1) Hands on profession
2) Able to run own business alone -- no partnerships
3) Large variety of cases which you can treat
4) Recurrent patient interaction
5) Less insurance/Malpractice involvement is better -- I am here to do my job first and foremost

The medical field can not satisfy all of those points. Surgery is very hands on but you are never working alone for yourself -- you are either hospital staff or in a group of surgeons. Also as a surgeon you almost never see patients more than 2X. As a GP of medicine, you see patients many times, but you are very hands off. However, as as a General Dentist you are very hands on, see many patients recurrently AND you can choose exactly what cases you want to do and what you can't handle out you refer - variety/choice is extremely important to me and dentistry offers this what more can you ask for? :)

Members don't see this ad :)

TucsonDDS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
jk5177 said:
Hey TucsonDDS:

Thanks for your open honesty. I also appied for medical schools two years ago, but realized that it was more out of pride than practicality and interest. Dental school is it for me.
I'm curious how come it took you six more years before you realized what it is you wanted to do? The two fields do have some similarities, so couldn't you have figured it out sooner? No offense intended.

I am currently an RN (as I was when I applied to med school) and I actually enjoy the field for the most part. I had never really thought about dentistry until I took care of a retired dentist and he sparked my interest in the field. After I looked into it some more I decided to persue it as a career. Nursing has been a great profession and over those past 6 years I got married to a wonderful woman and had a couple of kids so that took up a lot of my time. When I applied to med school I was with a different beast of a woman (but she was hot) who wanted me to be a doctor. We finally broke up just before I had my med interviews and that was a big part of my decision.

APPLEBITE

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
TucsonDDS said:
I am currently an RN (as I was when I applied to med school) and I actually enjoy the field for the most part. I had never really thought about dentistry until I took care of a retired dentist and he sparked my interest in the field. After I looked into it some more I decided to persue it as a career. Nursing has been a great profession and over those past 6 years I got married to a wonderful woman and had a couple of kids so that took up a lot of my time. When I applied to med school I was with a different beast of a woman (but she was hot) who wanted me to be a doctor. We finally broke up just before I had my med interviews and that was a big part of my decision.

OMG WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP> You took care of a dentist that sparked your interest in dentistry ???

So this guy was laying there dying or being sick and he still tried to recruit you into the dental field. your a liar and a freak. thats crazy.

I AM SORRY BUT I DONT BELIEVE A THING YOU SAY.

You dont need to go from being a male nurse to a dentist.

WEIRD. :laugh:

jk5177

Just Kidding
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
However... let's not be so harsh on TucsonDDS, I think he would do extremely well at the future New York Univeristy School of Nursing and Dental Medicine. You see NYU do have a significant reason for merging the two schools. (Now, what I just wrote was a load of crap, if you believe me then... that makes me a good liar and a bad joker).

I do think that it is nice to see posts and then have people disagree or call on other's to explain.

TucsonDDS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
APPLEBITE said:
OMG WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP> You took care of a dentist that sparked your interest in dentistry ???

So this guy was laying there dying or being sick and he still tried to recruit you into the dental field. your a liar and a freak. thats crazy.

I AM SORRY BUT I DONT BELIEVE A THING YOU SAY.

You dont need to go from being a male nurse to a dentist.

WEIRD. :laugh:

OK, so why don't you tell me how I became interested in dentistry..

APPLEBITE

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
TucsonDDS said:
OK, so why don't you tell me how I became interested in dentistry..

Well, thats good that this made you interested in dentistry. I think you made the right decision. I am just not buying it. I think $$$$ made you interested.

I would think of a better story myself.

But you try this one and tell us if it works. I hope it does for your sake. :laugh:

APPLEBITE

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
jk5177 said:
However... let's not be so harsh on TucsonDDS, I think he would do extremely well at the future New York Univeristy School of Nursing and Dental Medicine. You see NYU do have a significant reason for merging the two schools. (Now, what I just wrote was a load of crap, if you believe me then... that makes me a good liar and a bad joker).

I do think that it is nice to see posts and then have people disagree or call on other's to explain.

JK JK JK JK JK

you the man !!!!

TucsonDDS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
APPLEBITE said:
Well, thats good that this made you interested in dentistry. I think you made the right decision. I am just not buying it. I think $$$$ made you interested.

I would think of a better story myself.

But you try this one and tell us if it works. I hope it does for your sake. :laugh:

Actually, finacially going back to school doesn't make all that much sense for me. 2004 I made 97K working a total of 2200 hours with none of the stress of running a business. Tonight I am sitting here writing this making a little over 78/hr so the "$$$$" viewpoint of yours doesn't really work out, it will take me at least 10 years to break even no counting the 4 or 5 years of being able to contribute to my retirement. Now don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be willing to lose 4 years of salary, go 200K in dept for school and take a pay cut, that just wouldn't make any sense.
There are many aspects of dentistry that I am very attracted to; the ability to have my own practice and be my own boss, having the ability to take time off and spend time with my family, having an extended scope of practice over what I already have and being able to spend time with my patients throughtout the years. Money is great but if I break even in the long run and have the joy that the career will bring me I will be a very happy man. The dentist that I took care of in the hospital didn't try to "recruit" me to dentistry but through the couple of weeks that we talked he definitely openned my eyes to a career that I had never thought of before.

And by the way, during my interview for Buffalo, I discussed all of this with Dr Bobek and Dr Davis (my 2 interviewers) and I was accepted a week later so I guess it worked out ok. You can try to degrade whoever you want to on this forum if it makes you feel better, but in reality it just makes you look like a jackass.

Daheinah

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Congrats on your acceptance! :thumbup:
Applebite- why the attitude? I have noticed in other threads that you constantly degrade on others without really providing any worthwhile advice or suggestions.
Again Tucson, congrats on your acceptance and best of luck.

APPLEBITE

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
:laugh:
TucsonDDS said:
Actually, finacially going back to school doesn't make all that much sense for me. 2004 I made 97K working a total of 2200 hours with none of the stress of running a business. Tonight I am sitting here writing this making a little over 78/hr so the "$$$$" viewpoint of yours doesn't really work out, it will take me at least 10 years to break even no counting the 4 or 5 years of being able to contribute to my retirement. Now don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be willing to lose 4 years of salary, go 200K in dept for school and take a pay cut, that just wouldn't make any sense.
There are many aspects of dentistry that I am very attracted to; the ability to have my own practice and be my own boss, having the ability to take time off and spend time with my family, having an extended scope of practice over what I already have and being able to spend time with my patients throughtout the years. Money is great but if I break even in the long run and have the joy that the career will bring me I will be a very happy man. The dentist that I took care of in the hospital didn't try to "recruit" me to dentistry but through the couple of weeks that we talked he definitely openned my eyes to a career that I had never thought of before.

And by the way, during my interview for Buffalo, I discussed all of this with Dr Bobek and Dr Davis (my 2 interviewers) and I was accepted a week later so I guess it worked out ok. You can try to degrade whoever you want to on this forum if it makes you feel better, but in reality it just makes you look like a jackass.

Actually you have already discredited yourself by stating that you 'made 97k'

Whatever loser.

I am a jackass and you are a LIAR.

I dont believe a thing you write.

LIAR LIAR LIAR.

OH HEY SDN, my name is ____ and I made 97k and I took care of a dying dentist (which by the way only cared about recruiting me as a dentist and was cool with the fact that he was dying) and I am now sooooooooooooo interested in dentistry that I gave it all up,,,,blah blah blah.

GETALIFE.

APPLEBITE

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Daheinah said:
Applebite- why the attitude? I have noticed in other threads that you constantly degrade on others without really providing any worthwhile advice or suggestions.

Thanks for noticing me.

And thanks for the rudeness.

Thats all these forums are full of.

Also, that nice you got such great grades. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)

TucsonDDS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
APPLEBITE said:
:laugh:

Actually you have already discredited yourself by stating that you 'made 97k'

Whatever loser.

I am a jackass and you are a LIAR.

I dont believe a thing you write.

LIAR LIAR LIAR.

OH HEY SDN, my name is ____ and I made 97k and I took care of a dying dentist (which by the way only cared about recruiting me as a dentist and was cool with the fact that he was dying) and I am now sooooooooooooo interested in dentistry that I gave it all up,,,,blah blah blah.

GETALIFE.

Exactly how have I discredited myself, you asked my motivations and I told you what they were. Also do you not think that patients and nurses talk about anything else other than there imminent death. believe me, patients love to talk about their families, their professions, world war 2 and just about everything else. Very rarely do they just lay in bed thinking about dying. You need to grow up and you are starting to sound a little bitter here.

TucsonDDS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Daheinah said:

Thanks Daheinah, so are you going to oregon or vegas??

APPLEBITE

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
TucsonDDS said:
Exactly how have I discredited myself, you asked my motivations and I told you what they were. Also do you not think that patients and nurses talk about anything else other than there imminent death. believe me, patients love to talk about their families, their professions, world war 2 and just about everything else. Very rarely do they just lay in bed thinking about dying. You need to grow up and you are starting to sound a little bitter here.

OK ONE MORE TIME,,,

You decided that you wanted to be a dentist because a DYING DENTIST TOLD YOU HOW GOOD HIS PROFESSION IS>???

hmmmmm :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

beard

I Hate Cavities
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
thanks TucsonDDS
very interesting and informative situation you went through. congratulations on acceptance. i am still waiting for an inteview but i will definitely think about your attitudes and responses.
Really, waiting for a response from the dental school is worse than studying for the DAT. i am just anxious b/c i just turned in my scores last wednesday.
thanks,
beard

TucsonDDS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
APPLEBITE said:
OK ONE MORE TIME,,,

You decided that you wanted to be a dentist because a DYING DENTIST TOLD YOU HOW GOOD HIS PROFESSION IS>???

hmmmmm :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Whatever. By the way, why do you want to be a dentist? Because your mommy told you you should be one?

TucsonDDS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
beard said:
thanks TucsonDDS
very interesting and informative situation you went through. congratulations on acceptance. i am still waiting for an inteview but i will definitely think about your attitudes and responses.
Really, waiting for a response from the dental school is worse than studying for the DAT. i am just anxious b/c i just turned in my scores last wednesday.
thanks,
beard

I agree, waiting sucks. I got 3 rejections in the last 3 days now and even they are a relief, at least I knew I definitely wouldn't be attending those schools. Even with the acceptance that I have i am still waiting to hear from other schools and it SUCKS. Good luck, how did your dat go??

beard

I Hate Cavities
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
GPA - 3.87

DAT
Bio - 22
G chem - 19
Org chem - 18
PAT - 17
RC - 17
math - 13
Academic Ave - 18
Total Sci - 20

math is another reason why i am nervous about my interview. if i do get an interview i will get grilled for medical school application and an incredible math score.

eddiescott

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
beard said:
GPA - 3.87

DAT
Bio - 22
G chem - 19
Org chem - 18
PAT - 17
RC - 17
math - 13
Academic Ave - 18
Total Sci - 20

math is another reason why i am nervous about my interview. if i do get an interview i will get grilled for medical school application and an incredible math score.

Youll be fine. Just explain to them that you are CALCULATOR DEPENDENT///......

TucsonDDS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
beard said:
GPA - 3.87

DAT
Bio - 22
G chem - 19
Org chem - 18
PAT - 17
RC - 17
math - 13
Academic Ave - 18
Total Sci - 20

I think that your gpa should open a lot of doors. I know for a fact that my GPA was just a wee bit lower (3.1 thereabouts) and I was only interviewed because of my DATS. you are just the opposite. When those interviews come just be honest and be yourself and you should do great. It is really easy to sell yourself when you are honest as to why you are there. But now if your main concern about being a Dentist is trying to find a sports car that you can fit your clubs in, I probably wouldn't bring that up. Good luck.

beard

I Hate Cavities
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
thanks TucsonDDS and good luck w/ the first semmester coming up.
beard

Daheinah

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks Daheinah, so are you going to oregon or vegas??
I haven't really chosen yet. It depends on where my fiance gets into physical therapy school (forest grove or UNLV). Either way, I really do like both schools so I'm pretty excited.
Again, congrats on your achievement and best of luck to you in dental school! :thumbup:

Applebite- All you want is to be noticed?? I thought people got over that when they passed 2 years old. You are applying to a professional school- grow up. :rolleyes:

Daheinah

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Beard- with that GPA and science DAT, I would think you would be accepted just about anywhere. I have heard that many schools don't even look at the QR section. Honestly, you have an excellent GPA, excellent DAT scores so I wouldn't worry.
Best of luck and tell us how it goes! :luck: