interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Susan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm waiting for interviews at 5 schools one of which is my first choice, NYCOM. Of course it would be great if I interviewed there first, got accepted and avoided the expenses of going out to other schools - not to mention deposits. Would it be appropriate to write a letter to admissions stating that they are my first choice and that if accepted I would pull other applications? Is there a way to do this that is not offensive? Anyone ever tried this one?

------------------
S

Members don't see this ad.

I understand what you are saying...I am just not sure how the Ad Coms would view it...Be careful......

Hi, Susan. I'm also optimistically awaiting some sort of correspondence from NYCOM. One of my friends from school has already interviewed there earlier this month, so I'm becoming a little impatient (his stats are lower than mine but he's near 30 years old--he's a non-traditional applicant which I understand DO schools favor). Perhaps you (and I) should look into whether or not NYCOM has an Early Decision Program. Applying through that route is a good way of indicating your sincere interest. However, if you're definitely certain that NYCOM's your #1 choice, maybe sending them a Fax would be acceptable? Maybe a letter wouldn't be frowned upon either since that Admissions Committee should definitely understand several applicants' queries about why the heck they're taking so long.
smile.gif
I wish you well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at a school and was asked by the interviewer what it would take to get me to go to their school. I said that I had some other interviews, but their school was my number one choice. I told them that I had already had it in my mind that I wanted to go here and all they have to do is offer me an acceptance. Four days after the interview, I got a call saying that I was accepted. I do not feel that expressing your sincere desire to attend their school is a bad thing. Of course I was at the interview, but what could it hurt. I was able to cancel the other 4 interviews that I had line up after this one.

Good luck, I wish you well!

thanks for your input. I spoke with the Kaplan pre-med advisor who thought that reaction to this would vary with the school. A ohone call might be more effective than a letter which could be stuck in your file and not noticed. She said it's debatalbe. She also said that it's good to save that kind of info for the interview. Most important was the fact that schools get these letters often and unless it's backed up with specific detailed info about why you want this school it won't mean much.
Vegata- have you heard from NYCOM yet? I don't think they have an early decision-- did n't see it in the catalog.

No, dear... I still haven't heard a peep from NYCOM (or any of the other schools that I've applied to for that matter--I took the August MCAT which is causing the delay). I do know that NYCOM has begun interviewing several people, though. I don't know by what criteria they were selected. To my understanding, Osteopathic Med. schools review the application files completely (which takes time in itself) and NYCOM's admissions committee didn't begin inviting students until very late because there was a new building on the Old Westbury campus that was being constructed. In my opinion, many applicants should receive late interview dates from NYCOM. I wish you well, hun. Keep me up to date on any new information that you get about NYCOM.
smile.gif

Take it from someone who's applied to and interviewed at NYCOM: THEY'RE SLOW. They take an incredibly long time just to get back to you, so don't worry about it. From my understanding NYCOM begins interviewing applicants as early as October and finishes up in April.

NYCOM does not have an early decision program.

Tim of New York City.

Thanks Tim
What were you impressions of NYCOM at the interview? How long did you have to write the essays?
Wish you well