Interviewed at PCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rbt118

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello everyone,
For everyone that interviewed at PCOM in january... Have you heard a response or think you know when we will hear a response. My interview was on January 24, so i know i am jumping the gun, but i'm just trying to get some insight on admission notifications from the school.
For all those who are going to PCOM for an interview, it was an excellent experience and everyone is very kind/laid back there.

Members don't see this ad.

I heard the committee met the day before my interview (1/19) and they meet once a month. The interviewers told us we'd hear by the end of Feb. so I assume they'll meet again in the middle of Feb.
The interview was laid-back, but they've gotta come up with a way to break it up so you don't sit there for 3 hours doing nothing. CCOM split the group up with one interviewing and the other taking tour/Fin. aid stuff.
Good luck and let me know when you hear!

I interviewed at PCOM today, and you're right, it was a very laid-back friendly place. They told us we'd hear by the end of the month, so perhaps your decisions will be at the same time. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Another PCOM question: does anyone know how much of their class they have admitted thus far? I haven't heard from them (my application was complete in November, which I realize is a bit late) and I would *realllllly* love to interview there (there is now a possibility of my significant other being in Philly for the next 3 years).

I plan on writing a letter of interest, but I'd just like to guage what my chances are at this point. Thanks in advance for any insight.

As of this past Wednesday, admissions told me that the class is about 40% full, so you should still have a good shot. My interview isn't until Feb 14th so I was really concerned about the same thing

Hi,
I interviewed there yesterday and the lovely Dr. Bullock said the next time the committee was meeting is February 15th and that we should hear ~2 weeks after that. It was a great visit and it is my first choice, do any of you know how I can ahold of a match list for PCOM?

-future DO...and proud of it... :love:

Hey - I'm sure you'll hear good things soon! I interviewed at PCOM on Jan 5th, and got an acceptance letter on the 22nd (longest 17 days of my life). Good luck to everyone waiting on the Feb. decisions!

Taus said:
As of this past Wednesday, admissions told me that the class is about 40% full, so you should still have a good shot. My interview isn't until Feb 14th so I was really concerned about the same thing

You're so lucky you're interviewing the day before the adcom meeting so you should have a really short wait! I interviewed the day after the last one so I am in the midst of the longest possible wait. :mad:

I interviewed at PCOM in December. Had an acceptance letter in my hand 3 days later. I live 90 minutes away and am a PA resident so that probably made a difference. I ended up deciding on KCOM instead.

Taus said:

Thank you so much for this information!

Yet another question: anyone have advice on how I address my letter of interest (do I address it to the Dean of Admissions, or...?)

Thanks a lot.

In regards to this school, does anyone know statistics of acceptance of in-state and out-of state students? I believe this information is posted on US News and I'm hoping someone has a subscription (probably something I should have gotten a long time ago). This has been posted before, but the numbers didn't make sense because the replier reported a larger number of out of state applicants. I would assume the largest pool of applicants would be from PA. thank you for your time everyone.
Already complete with my interview and I "think" it went extremely well. Just trying to ease my mind for this horrible waiting process.

Rbt118 said:
In regards to this school, does anyone know statistics of acceptance of in-state and out-of state students? I believe this information is posted on US News and I'm hoping someone has a subscription (probably something I should have gotten a long time ago). This has been posted before, but the numbers didn't make sense because the replier reported a larger number of out of state applicants. I would assume the largest pool of applicants would be from PA. thank you for your time everyone.
Already complete with my interview and I "think" it went extremely well. Just trying to ease my mind for this horrible waiting process.

You're referring to raptor's numbers, right? I just saw an updated US News med school guide at the bookstore and the numbers are similar. PCOM has the largest number of applicants of any of the DO schools, so it's not very likely that close to half of the applicants would come from PA. I made sure to calculate the in-state acceptance rate and it was around 80% for those that were granted an interview.

Rbt118 said:

Applied Interviewed Accepted Enrolled
Total: 3,396 684 409 263
In-state: 399 268 197 147
Out-of-state: 2,997 416 212 116
Women: 1,722 366 258 152
Minorities: 1,152 103 78 37
International: 11 7 5

This from the last available year. I like that the class is mostly women (I am single)

I just checked USNEWS.com and those are the latest numbers. If you are from PA or DE or go to undergrad in PA or DE you have a damn good shot of getting in. I say Deleware b/c they actively recruit and show preference to people from deleware since in lacks an Osteopathic school. This statement came directly from the Dean of Admissions. I say what about all the other states w/o osteopathic schools. It is not like they are all state schools or something where it might be much cheaper. If Penn State had offered real in-state tuition fees like Texas schools do I probably would have gone there. Yes I would have foregone (sp) OMM to save 100K...

raptor5 said:
I just checked USNEWS.com and those are the latest numbers. If you are from PA or DE or go to undergrad in PA or DE you have a damn good shot of getting in. I say Deleware b/c they actively recruit and show preference to people from deleware since in lacks an Osteopathic school. This statement came directly from the Dean of Admissions. I say what about all the other states w/o osteopathic schools. It is not like they are all state schools or something where it might be much cheaper. If Penn State had offered real in-state tuition fees like Texas schools do I probably would have gone there. Yes I would have foregone (sp) OMM to save 100K...

And did you know that Jefferson is the "unofficial" state school of Delaware? The Dean of Admissions told us that they give preference to DE residents. Philly residents don't even get preference for Jefferson, but DE residents do???

I sifted through old threads and the PCOM site but couldn't find any information on PCOM's curriculum. Can anyone give some insight as to what first year classes? Are clinical exposure opportunities available before 3rd year? Is there any PBL?

Thanks!

PCOM and Jeff are the Osteo and Allopathic options for the Delaware students whom are applying via the DIMER program. Both have a certain number of seats reserved for De students.

pem8erly said:
I sifted through old threads and the PCOM site but couldn't find any information on PCOM's curriculum. Can anyone give some insight as to what first year classes? Are clinical exposure opportunities available before 3rd year? Is there any PBL?

Thanks!

The curriculum is an integrative one. The school year is divided into 3 trimesters - the first two are your basci sciences and the third term starts the systems based med that continues through the second yr. You have two fullyr courses OMM and PCS (patient care skills) along with the first term SPOM - Structural Principles of Osteopathic Medicine (ana, rad, dev, rad), second term Cell & Tissue (biochem, genetics, immuno, micro, pharm, path, mol bio), third term Cardio Vas Med/ Renal Pulm / Emer Med. We have standardized pt. during PCS where we are eval for our clinical skills along with OMM practicals where we hone in our osteopathic manipulation skills. There is no alt learning modules (PBLs, etc), only lecture hall type classes. However, they do incorporate case studies during both the SPOM and C&T courses to develop our diff. diagnostic skills.

I hope that I answered your question w/o sounding overwhelming. I am truly enjoying my 1st year at PCOM and I would not want to be any where else.

Best wishes in all your endeavors, :clap:
Malliem
PCOM Class of 2008

So, the admissions comittee met on the 15th. I called and asked if they could tell me my status (accepted/rejected) by telephone so I can circumvent a trip down to west virginia in a few days. The lady I initially talked to was very nice and said that she would give the message to the head admissions lady and I should here back from her later in the afternoon. 4:00 rolls around and I call back. The same person says, "she is in a meeting". Sounds kind of fishy to me because seriously, who is in a meeting thirty minutes before the office closes. I hope these people aren't yanking me around and don't want to give out bad news peronally (god forbid...). God this process sucks d**k.
Anyway, the meeting was yesterday everyone and if you want and get a hold of that lady (deborah), it seems as though you might have a chance getting the results.

Rbt118 said:
So, the admissions comittee met on the 15th. I called and asked if they could tell me my status (accepted/rejected) by telephone so I can circumvent a trip down to west virginia in a few days. The lady I initially talked to was very nice and said that she would give the message to the head admissions lady and I should here back from her later in the afternoon. 4:00 rolls around and I call back. The same person says, "she is in a meeting". Sounds kind of fishy to me because seriously, who is in a meeting thirty minutes before the office closes. I hope these people aren't yanking me around and don't want to give out bad news peronally (god forbid...). God this process sucks d**k.
Anyway, the meeting was yesterday everyone and if you want and get a hold of that lady (deborah), it seems as though you might have a chance getting the results.

She called me at about 5:00! So you're probably eating your words as we speak :D