Interviewer: How many acceptances or interviews have you had?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fuzzywuz

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there an underlying reason for asking that question?

I just answer truthfully, but I am mindful of being objective and professional about it.

In fact, I was never asked to name any other schools so far..

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, I think they're just curious. When people ask me about this process, they're always interested in which schools I applied to. Granted, it may have SOME bearing on your chances (depending on the opinions of the interviewer), but overall, I really think they just want to ask to see if anything really sticks out (like applying to 1 school or 30+ schools).

At a few interviews, they've asked me "How many," and one interviewer asked me specifically which schools I applied to. I just tell them honestly but don't reveal more information than what they're actually asking for. If they only want to know the number, I don't rattle off the names.

I've been asked which schools I applied to by most of my interviewers. Never had anyone ask about acceptances. I've also fielded the hypothetical "if you got into school X and our school which would you go to" questions several times as well.

In the beginning the questions kind of unnerved me. But after awhile I just stopped trying to give coy vague answers. Now I just answer the question point blank. I tell them which schools I've applied to and that my mind is not made up about any school. It cuts that topic short and hasn't seemed to hurt my interviews.

I think those kinds of questions are really silly.

Members don't see this ad :)
"I have had several interviews which I feel is advantageous because it allows me to evaluate each school on a concrete basis instead of what I have heard."
Mmm, preparation