• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Interviewer: How many acceptances or interviews have you had?

fuzzywuz

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2006
  1. Pre-Medical
Is there an underlying reason for asking that question?

I just answer truthfully, but I am mindful of being objective and professional about it.

In fact, I was never asked to name any other schools so far..

Chemist0157

SDN Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2007
  1. Attending Physician
Honestly, I think they're just curious. When people ask me about this process, they're always interested in which schools I applied to. Granted, it may have SOME bearing on your chances (depending on the opinions of the interviewer), but overall, I really think they just want to ask to see if anything really sticks out (like applying to 1 school or 30+ schools).

At a few interviews, they've asked me "How many," and one interviewer asked me specifically which schools I applied to. I just tell them honestly but don't reveal more information than what they're actually asking for. If they only want to know the number, I don't rattle off the names.

NTF

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2008
  1. Attending Physician
I've been asked which schools I applied to by most of my interviewers. Never had anyone ask about acceptances. I've also fielded the hypothetical "if you got into school X and our school which would you go to" questions several times as well.

In the beginning the questions kind of unnerved me. But after awhile I just stopped trying to give coy vague answers. Now I just answer the question point blank. I tell them which schools I've applied to and that my mind is not made up about any school. It cuts that topic short and hasn't seemed to hurt my interviews.

I think those kinds of questions are really silly.

About the Ads
About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.