Interviewers asking about other interviews?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AkGrown84

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had an interview today in which about half the time of a 20 minute interview was focused on asking questions regarding where I applied, who offered me interviews, who I ended up interviewing with, why I cancelled an interview, if I had an acceptance (and where), etc. I was really caught off guard. For the record, this was my 5th interview (I cancelled one other interview), and I still have one this Friday, so I know this was definitely not normal. Has anyone experienced this? Are they allowed to ask such probing questions (I mean, I'd say it's rude and bad form, but is it actually against the "rules")? I answered honestly and tried spinning it in the "I'm here despite already having an acceptance, which indicates I'm very interested in the program" realm, but I was a little frustrated that a good chunk of the little time I had was focused on this while nothing of my clinical experience, life experience, shadowing, etc was even mentioned or asked about.

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like my Western interview. I was asked why I thought I was wait listed at other schools.

It's a series of questions to see how you respond to pressure imo. I answered truthfully and will be attending said school, in large part, because of the interview.

I had this happen at the Marian MMI interview, for the 20 minute personal section. After wasting several minutes on this topic, staying calm and professional I waited for the opportunity to flip the conversation back on the interviewer asking where did they work before here? what was their specialty? why did you leave the former state to come here and would you recommend the same move? Then the interviewer seemed to validate and reinforce why I should also come to the program as she did.

Members don't see this ad :)
Western interview day was the worst.

That crossed a line. Complain to the Admissions dean, because that's the only way the process can remove bad interviewers.

I may ask if someone has been accepted somewhere else, but only as part of a hypothetical question which includes a compliment, and the entire question falls apart without the asking about the acceptance.

I had an interview today in which about half the time of a 20 minute interview was focused on asking questions regarding where I applied, who offered me interviews, who I ended up interviewing with, why I cancelled an interview, if I had an acceptance (and where), etc. I was really caught off guard. For the record, this was my 5th interview (I cancelled one other interview), and I still have one this Friday, so I know this was definitely not normal. Has anyone experienced this? Are they allowed to ask such probing questions (I mean, I'd say it's rude and bad form, but is it actually against the "rules")? I answered honestly and tried spinning it in the "I'm here despite already having an acceptance, which indicates I'm very interested in the program" realm, but I was a little frustrated that a good chunk of the little time I had was focused on this while nothing of my clinical experience, life experience, shadowing, etc was even mentioned or asked about.

Well within their right to ask you those questions. Just answer truthfully and move on.

That crossed a line. Complain to the Admissions dean, because that's the only way the process can remove bad interviewers.

I may ask if someone has been accepted somewhere else, but only as part of a hypothetical question which includes a compliment, and the entire question falls apart without the asking about the acceptance.

Western has that as part of their protocol. There's a list of questions the interviewers are required I check off including: Where else did you apply? Where did you interview? What is your number one choice? Have you been accepted? And they write the names of the schools down!

but see even that is better. Its a hypothetical implying that KCUMB is out of the picture. With just straight up asking you put someone on edge because its like: do I lie and say this is my number one? which is bad. Or tell them that you like another school more (possibly one youve interviewed at) which isnt that great either

but see even that is better. Its a hypothetical implying that KCUMB is out of the picture. With just straight up asking you put someone on edge because its like: do I lie and say this is my number one? which is bad. Or tell them that you like another school more (possibly one youve interviewed at) which isnt that great either
Tell them they're number one.

haha but wouldnt they expect that? Wouldnt everyone say that? I mean couldnt you come off as fake?

I mean beyond even ethics and morality and stuff. I am not a good actor, I dont think I even could fake it even if I wanted to. I mean granted I wouldnt be interviewing at somewhere I couldnt really see myself. But I dont know, this kind of circumstance brings up an interesting problem.

Reactions: 1 user
Western has that as part of their protocol. There's a list of questions the interviewers are required I check off including: Where else did you apply? Where did you interview? What is your number one choice? Have you been accepted? And they write the names of the schools down!
Maybe your interviewer was really pushy. I was asked the same question but seemed rather standard. They were writing, but there's no way they could have written down the 10 schools that I gave them. I think in general they want to know how you react to such question.

Members don't see this ad :)
haha but wouldnt they expect that? Wouldnt everyone say that? I mean couldnt you come off as fake?

I mean beyond even ethics and morality and stuff. I am not a good actor, I dont think I even could fake it even if I wanted to. I mean granted I wouldnt be interviewing at somewhere I couldnt really see myself. But I dont know, this kind of circumstance brings up an interesting problem.
Well they shouldn't ask such stupid questions if they don't want those kinds of answers IMO.

It's like your girlfriend asking you if you'd change anything about her.

The key in those situations is a little thing i like to call misdirection haha

but I doubt an ADCOM will get excited about something shiny in the corner of the room

I like misdirection......otherwise I feel as if my face will look like this when i fake it....this also works in other situations lol
images

Reactions: 1 users
Dr goro's head is spinning now!

I plead the fif!
Where else did you apply?
Fif!
Where did you int...
Fif!
plead-the-fifth.jpg

Dr goro's head is spinning now!
Why? It's already bad enough that humans are subjective that giving interviewers free range of any questions would make the processes even less standardized. At least some questions should be standard for everyone.

This happened to me at touro nv. I thought I bombed the interview based upon this awkward set of questions, but was accepted. No harm done I guess..

Edit: for the record, it was a lot why here, where else, what happened there, etc

This happened to me at touro nv. I thought I bombed the interview based upon this awkward set of questions, but was accepted. No harm done I guess..

Edit: for the record, it was a lot why here, where else, what happened there, etc

Interesting. My experience was at Touro NV as well. I didn't feel very good about the interview because of this, so it gives me some hope. It's definitely one of my top choices, so I'm crossing fingers.

WesternU only asked me how I would pick 1 school if I was accepted at multiple places. KCUMB just asked "Why KCUMB?" On the secondary they did ask for your 2nd choice school which was really weird. OSU asked for all schools you applied to on the secondary. Eh, not a big deal to me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk