Interviewers asking about smoking?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cheekiemunky

Pre-Medical
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay I have a question; I tried searching and could not find the answer. If this has already been covered, it is pretty well hidden. I am a smoker, and I have a sister in medical school who told me that interviewers may ask if you smoke in interviews, and that if you say "yes" then they won't let you in. I really think she was just trying to scare me; I know doctors and students who smoke. I did want to make sure though; I am really not down with lying.

My question is not whether smoking is bad for you. My question is not whether you think I should quit. My question is not whether you think someone who smokes should be able to become a physician. My question does not involve your opinion about the legality of smoking in public areas. My question is simply whether or not interviewers ask this question, and whether an answer of "yes" will get you rejected. If you have not interviewed yet or do not know someone who has valuable experience with this matter, then your input is not necessary. There is really no reason for this thread to be controversial unless you are really desperate to start a flame war. I'm sorry if that bothers you.

Thanks for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

I highly doubt you would be asked unless you smell like smoke...ive been to a bunch and have never been asked this.

I HIGHLY doubt that would influence any admissions decision...and your decision to be truthful would be honored. If it comes up I would be saying something like " I realize smoking is harmful and I am having a difficult time quitting" and leave it at that.

Maybe don't smoke in the 24 hours preceding the interview, so that you don't have smoke smell on your clothes and/or breath?

Members don't see this ad :)

:)

On a serious note - just get some gum or a patch for the morning/day of your interview (if you smoke a lot and need it) and don't smoke until you leave.

I've never heard of this being asked and if you don't smell like smoke there is no reason in the world they would ask you.

i agree with everyone else... as long as you don't smell like smoke it should be a non-issue.

Unfortunately, I too am a smoker... trying to quit and have made a promise to myself I will before I begin medical school. But I have gone through two interview seasons as a smoker and I just made sure not to smoke after I took my shower the morning before my interview. The long drives to far-away schools are hard, which is why I have used nicotine gum in the past to take the edge off during the drive and during the interview day.

That's almost like asking, "So, do you drink and have unprotected sex?"

Little..weird.

That's almost like asking, "So, do you drink and have unprotected sex?"

Little..weird.

No, no, that's like asking the interviewee about the size of his penis. Unnecessary, unless it's sticking out of the pant leg.

:laugh:

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks people. That's pretty much what I thought, I just figured I would ask.

i agree with everyone else... as long as you don't smell like smoke it should be a non-issue...

(1) they won't ask, but 90% of smokers will smell like smoke and all of the clothes that has spent any substantial time in their home will smell like smoke. And smokers will be unable to tell what smells like smoke, so they will be singuarly unable to know they have a tell.

(2) As a physician you will be REQUIRED to counsel people to stop smoking. It's the single most important correctable habit related to most of your patient's conditions in many specialties. In your OSCEs and Step 2 CS, you will actually lose points if you don't do a good job on counseling folks not to smoke, and attendings in your rotation will advise you that this is a requirement of patient contact. You would end up a huge hypocrite if you were a smoker and tried to do this. In fact, the number of physicians these days who smoke is pretty small compared to the public -- most physicians are non-smokers or folks who quit. Not a bad idea to quit if you are going down this route.

(3) If you smoke a lot normally and quit for a day cold turkey, you will not do well on your interview that day -- you will be irritable and unpleasant.

(4) It's hard enough running up 10 flights of stairs to a Code as an intern if you have clear lungs -- smokers get too winded. Best not to put yourself in this position.

(5) Not to mention that your risk of stroke, cancer, peripheral vascular disease etc etc drops substantially within days of quitting smoking. As if somehow this isn't enough of a reason to quit.

It's an addiction and an unhealthy one. You are going into a field where you will treat the sequella of this addiction. If you need something as a cue to quit, going to med school is a good one. Lots of people quit because they don't want to be a hypocrite. And those who don't will get a lot of cold stares by their colleagues who will be spending future careers lopping off lobes of lung.

(1) they won't ask, but 90% of smokers will smell like smoke and all of the clothes that has spent any substantial time in their home will smell like smoke. And smokers will be unable to tell what smells like smoke, so they will be singuarly unable to know they have a tell.

(2) As a physician you will be REQUIRED to counsel people to stop smoking. It's the single most important correctable habit related to most of your patient's conditions in many specialties. In your OSCEs and Step 2 CS, you will actually lose points if you don't do a good job on counseling folks not to smoke, and attendings in your rotation will advise you that this is a requirement of patient contact. You would end up a huge hypocrite if you were a smoker and tried to do this. In fact, the number of physicians these days who smoke is pretty small compared to the public -- most physicians are non-smokers or folks who quit. Not a bad idea to quit if you are going down this route.

(3) If you smoke a lot normally and quit for a day cold turkey, you will not do well on your interview that day -- you will be irritable and unpleasant.

(4) It's hard enough running up 10 flights of stairs to a Code as an intern if you have clear lungs -- smokers get too winded. Best not to put yourself in this position.

(5) Not to mention that your risk of stroke, cancer, peripheral vascular disease etc etc drops substantially within days of quitting smoking. As if somehow this isn't enough of a reason to quit.

It's an addiction and an unhealthy one. You are going into a field where you will treat the sequella of this addiction. If you need something as a cue to quit, going to med school is a good one. Lots of people quit because they don't want to be a hypocrite. And those who don't will get a lot of cold stares by their colleagues who will be spending future careers lopping off lobes of lung.
An excellent motivational post for the OP. Why not just get it over with and quit? I've watched two coworkers die from brain mets from their smoking-related lung cancer after failed treatment efforts. Don't be those guys.