interviewing and not getting a good vibe

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

terrybug

happy
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So far, I've read a lot of posts about interviews that people felt didn't go well because of their own performance...
But what about people who have gone on an interview and felt some trepidation about the program or their POI afterwards?

I had an experience where I met the professor, really seemed to have a lot of interests in common, but noticed that they didn't seem to take much interest in helping out their advisees PLUS in our own brief interaction, they seemed to lack a certain level of considerateness.

Is that just how things are?
Will we live in their world and can't expect them to take out time from their busy schedules to help their students? See/read "The Devil Wears Prada" for an extreme example.

I guess I'm concerned because as much as I like to work hard and get things done, I also like to feel appreciated.

Anyone else have any thoughts?:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

So far, I've read a lot of posts about interviews that people felt didn't go well because of their own performance...
But what about people who have gone on an interview and felt some trepidation about the program or their POI afterwards?

I had an experience where I met the professor, really seemed to have a lot of interests in common, but noticed that they didn't seem to take much interest in helping out their advisees PLUS in our own brief interaction, they seemed to lack a certain level of considerateness.

Is that just how things are?
Will we live in their world and can't expect them to take out time from their busy schedules to help their students? See/read "The Devil Wears Prada" for an extreme example.

I guess I'm concerned because as much as I like to work hard and get things done, I also like to feel appreciated.

Anyone else have any thoughts?:confused:

That's a tough call. I love my undergrad advisor and will likely stay friends with her once I move on, but I know most of my friends HATE theirs and dread their meetings together. I can't imagine going through a whole PhD program like that. At the same time... programs are so hard to get in to these days, it's hard to justify being picky about it. I guess it's a personal call. If you feel like you absolutely could not work with that person, then hold out for a better opportunity. But if you think that you like the school an the program itself, then maybe try to make it work?

Good luck, I hope something works out for you!

I had a similar experience this past weekend. I really liked the research the POI is currently conducting but after meeting with him, I was a little discouraged of attending the school. He wasn't very welcoming and in fact was quite awkward to converse with. However, he seems very knowledgeable and well respected in the field. So I'm kind of in the same boat as you.

I guess I am going to make my decision, if accepted, based on other factors. There are more pros than cons about the school and the program so I think I will learn to tolerate my POI and hope that If needed I can get support from other faculty members and students. Remember, you can also express your concern to the head of the department or other faculty members. You are not in this process alone. I suggest that if you like everything else, attend the school and if it really becomes burdensome to work with this individual, ask to change advisors. Many schools are open to the idea.

Best of Luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been on some interviews where I felt great about the program/person, and some where the match just wasn't there or I worried about how we would get along ... or both. At least for me, the relationship with my mentor is a very important part of what I am looking for.

Having a good personality match with your mentor is very important! It will greatly affect your productivity as well as your quality of life. Of course, there are many other factors that go into picking the right program for you, but don't treat having a concerned, friendly, and involved advisor as something frivolous.