Interviewing at St. George's University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RussianJoo

Useless Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an interview with an SGU graduate in a week and I was wondering if anyone else who had an interview with an SGU grad. could tell me what to expect. What type of questions might they ask? Is it an open file interview? Does having an interview mean that I have a pretty good chance at getting in, or do they interview almost everybody?? Also the letter I got from SGU said that I would have to write an assey during my interview, they didn't provide me with a topic and also when I scheduled the interview, the doctor i am going to interview with didn't mention anything about it. Did anyone else have to write an assey as a part of their interview? and does anyone know on the topic of the assey? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thnank you,

RussianJoo.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on your interview!

By and large, most of the interview exeriences from my fellow classmates were very low-stress, including mine. I also interviewed with a board member, and that was very relaxed.

I was just asked the standard things: why I want to go to medical school, do I think I could handle living in a foreign country for an extended period of time, etc. The essay is a joke. I recall my interviewer saying "they just want to make sure you can write in complete sentences. Just write anything." So don't worry at all about it.

Really, I was thrown no curve-balls at all; I hope yours will be as relaxed as mine was!

I just finished the basic sciences (no more caribbean!!), so I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have about life in Grenada and St. Vincent--feel free to PM me. It's actually a pretty campus (GORGEOUS beach for test breaks), and the educational program is very strong.

Best of luck! Just relax and be yourself.

Hi Brian,
I am interested in applying to St Georges and I was just wondering if you enjoyed your experience? The 1st 2 yrs are on grenada (classes) and the next 2 clinical years are in hospitals around the five boroughs (is that right?) What do you think was the hardest thing about living in grenada?
do you think going to a carribean medical school severely limits one's residency options? I suppose it depends what you want to go into right, at this point I would like to go into some kind of surgery but I dont know yet. Do you think I have a shot of getting in, I have some pretty bad undergrad grades though :( i had 3.1 GPA BA in microbiology from Cornell U. but in graduate school at NYU (MS-molecular biology) I have a 4.0, so hopefully they will factor that in (i feel so discouraged)
Thanks for your time and help, I really appreciate it!
~N

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
I also just got done with my second year. Looking back on everything I can certainly say it was a great experience. I definitely feel like I have recieved a great education. Living in Grenada was a culture shock but you do get used to it if you try. I think the hardest part of living there is a combination of not having access to the little things you take for granted back home, being homesick missing friends family etc.. while at the same time being under a lot of academic stress. The faster you get adapt to the new way of life the easier things are. Some people aren't able to do this and they are often miserable and you hear them complaining about everything. I will say that a lot of these people tend live in big cities back in the US. As far as residency and career options, yes SGU does put you at a disadvantage. It doesn't mean that any avenue is completely off limits but you will have to work harder to get to it. Concerning surgery, if you look at the residency placements SGU puts a lot folks into pretty good programs every year. What you don't see is the surgical subspecialties they get into afterwards. This also goes for other types of medicine. I've talked to a lot people who know cardio-thoracic, trauma, plastic surgeons who went to SGU. All in all I wouldn't worry too much about any disadvantage you would have. As I said look at the residency placements. Your GPA etc.. is fine and as long as your MCAT scores aren't dismal you have no problems. Lastly, as Brian said the interview was really laid back definitely do not fret over it. If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask or PM me. Take it easy.

Alex

acidhouse303 said:
Hi Brian,
I am interested in applying to St Georges and I was just wondering if you enjoyed your experience? The 1st 2 yrs are on grenada (classes) and the next 2 clinical years are in hospitals around the five boroughs (is that right?) What do you think was the hardest thing about living in grenada?
do you think going to a carribean medical school severely limits one's residency options? I suppose it depends what you want to go into right, at this point I would like to go into some kind of surgery but I dont know yet. Do you think I have a shot of getting in, I have some pretty bad undergrad grades though :( i had 3.1 GPA BA in microbiology from Cornell U. but in graduate school at NYU (MS-molecular biology) I have a 4.0, so hopefully they will factor that in (i feel so discouraged)
Thanks for your time and help, I really appreciate it!
~N
Hey!

I pretty much enjoyed my two years down there. The first 4 terms are spent in Grenada, and terms 5 and 6 (about 4 months) is on nearby St. Vincent, where you start "preclinical" rotations at the local hospital. The hardest part for me was having a significant other back home. I think it can be good for a relationship, though. If it is strong enough, it will work out...anyhow, the first 2 weeks and the last 2 weeks are the worst (getting used to a new way of life is an adjustment, and knowing that you'll be home in 2 weeks is quite a distraction!).

I think you should be fine with your GPA; mine was probably around yours, AND my MCAT was very low (22; physics? what's that?) ;) I got in, and managed to do well.

As Alex said, you are at a bit of a disadvantage as far as Residencies are concerned, but many students get into surgery every year. There are places that probably won't consider you regardless of how stellar you perform in school and during clinicals, but there are plenty of places that will.

Good luck, and let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Hi, Brian you seem to know a lot abut St. George's. My problem is that St. Georges can't seem to make a deicision regarding my application. I have a 3.6 gpa and low 20's on MCAT. it is already June 28th, and I afraid that it is getting really late. When I call my admissions avisers she tells me that the decision will come in any day, but it has been like this for 3 weeks, since they asked me to retake my MCAT which I have done. I was thinking of trying to find out the e-mail adress of someone who is on the board at St. George's and trying to ask them the status. At the same time, I was excepted to Ross, but i have about a week to tell them wheather I am going there or not. I was wondering if anyone can assistm me in my dilema.
Thank you

Hmmm. They have a tendency to accept people late, unfortunately. I was accepted after my vacation (which was the week of July 4), so it sounds like you may still be in the running. Your numbers are right around what mine were, incidentally (Actually, your GPA is higher :D )

Just keep bugging your admissions advisor, and hopefully you'll hear something soon (they left me a message on my machine). PM me if you have any other questions! Good luck!

Brian, Do you think I should try to somehow find the contact info for someone who is actually on the admissions board and ask them about the status of the application. This is because every time I call my admissions councerlor she tells me that I should hear the answer this week, and it has been like this for the past 3 weeks.

Thank you,
Yuriy

Yurka said:
Brian, Do you think I should try to somehow find the contact info for someone who is actually on the admissions board and ask them about the status of the application. This is because every time I call my admissions councerlor she tells me that I should hear the answer this week, and it has been like this for the past 3 weeks.

Thank you,
Yuriy

No, I wouldn't do that just yet. It sounds like the exact same thing they kept telling me when I called them (usually a couple of times a week). However, your counselor will most likely call you when they hear back from the committee (especially since they know it's getting late into the summer).

And as far as financial aid is concerned, I didn't have any problems with being accepted in mid-July (and I'm on full loans).

Let me know when you hear something!

To those who are going to SGU or waiting to hear, relax a bit. They do take their ie to give you the final OK, just call your advisor or ask for admissions supervisor and ask for info they'll help you, they are usually veruy helpful and friendly. Agian I concur ....don't sweat the interview...just be yourself, the essay is a formality so that they get something to satrt with. In mine I just had a talk with the Doctor, asked a few things, the usual plus the last book I had read, but all very relaxed. In regards to life in Grenada....it'll be an unquealed experience of your life, mostly positive. It's paradisiacal but BEWArE dont overdo it like some people or you will do badly. the island is nice, the environment pristine, but the studying is serious. I took a lot of advice from here before I went, so ask anything you want . I just finished 1st term but I've been in teh iosland for 1 1/2 years now since I did one year of premed there before entering the MD program. Good luck to all,

As I have stated in my previous post that I am awaiting to hear from Sain George's. I call my advisor and she keeps on telling me that i should hear soon. Yesterday she told me that the committee is not meeting this week. I also asked her if I could talk to someone on the board or supervisor, she said the only way is to send her(the admissions advisor) an e-mail and she will put it in my folder, but no one from comittee will reply to me. That is why I am getting woried.
On top of that, I was acceted to Ross, and have 5 days to answer whether I am going or not. So if anyone have any suggestions, please feel free to help.

Thank you
Yuriy

Yurka said:
As I have stated in my previous post that I am awaiting to hear from Sain George's. I call my advisor and she keeps on telling me that i should hear soon. Yesterday she told me that the committee is not meeting this week. I also asked her if I could talk to someone on the board or supervisor, she said the only way is to send her(the admissions advisor) an e-mail and she will put it in my folder, but no one from comittee will reply to me. That is why I am getting woried.
On top of that, I was acceted to Ross, and have 5 days to answer whether I am going or not. So if anyone have any suggestions, please feel free to help.

Thank you
Yuriy

Tell Ross that you need some more time. Or, just accept.

I'm switching from clinical psychology (MA) to MD path. I have high gpa (3.8) for my masters but below 3.0 for undergrad in neurobiology at Berkeley. Maybe there's no hope?

I heard that St. George has some program that the first year allows you to "prove" your ability then the next 4 years will be the regular MD training?

Members don't see this ad :)
To those who are going to SGU or waiting to hear, relax a bit. They do take their ie to give you the final OK, just call your advisor or ask for admissions supervisor and ask for info they'll help you, they are usually veruy helpful and friendly. Agian I concur ....don't sweat the interview...just be yourself, the essay is a formality so that they get something to satrt with. In mine I just had a talk with the Doctor, asked a few things, the usual plus the last book I had read, but all very relaxed. In regards to life in Grenada....it'll be an unquealed experience of your life, mostly positive. It's paradisiacal but BEWArE dont overdo it like some people or you will do badly. the island is nice, the environment pristine, but the studying is serious. I took a lot of advice from here before I went, so ask anything you want . I just finished 1st term but I've been in teh iosland for 1 1/2 years now since I did one year of premed there before entering the MD program. Good luck to all,

THANK YOU for the info. I'd like to do the same and wonder if the requirement to be 1-year premed is rigorous. I plan to hopefully be accepted as pre-med for 1 year then enter the 4-year MD training.

B2S (back to school) :)

I heard that St. George has some program that the first year allows you to "prove" your ability then the next 4 years will be the regular MD training?

I believe u are referring to the Foundations program at SGU. As much as I know, it is a program where u take bunch of classes and you have to get a high GPA and if you do then u are accepted into the med school.

Hi,
I was wondering what were the interview questions. I was told I will be given an interview, just waiting for the date and location.

Also, Is it true we have to write an essay at the interview? what are the essay questions?

Hi,
I was wondering what were the interview questions. I was told I will be given an interview, just waiting for the date and location.

Also, Is it true we have to write an essay at the interview? what are the essay questions?
Yes you have 15-20 minutes to write an essay

They wanted to know how you felt about the state of health care today

Does the question refer to the state of health care in the country that you want to practice medicine in?

Does anyone know the turn around time from application submission to interview, and interview to acceptance? Cheers!

It took about a month between application and interview. It only took me a week between interview and acceptance, but I also told them to expedite their decision. Normally it's another month I think?

My application took about 1 week after they received all of my paperwork. Then it took about 3 days to find someone near me for my interview and they scheduled it for today. I am very nervous but I have been preparing.
In total it takes around 3 week at least to do everything =). Hopefully they will tell me a decision early.

GL TO EVERYONE!!!!!!!

Congrats on your interview!

By and large, most of the interview exeriences from my fellow classmates were very low-stress, including mine. I also interviewed with a board member, and that was very relaxed.

I was just asked the standard things: why I want to go to medical school, do I think I could handle living in a foreign country for an extended period of time, etc. The essay is a joke. I recall my interviewer saying "they just want to make sure you can write in complete sentences. Just write anything." So don't worry at all about it.

Really, I was thrown no curve-balls at all; I hope yours will be as relaxed as mine was!

I just finished the basic sciences (no more caribbean!!), so I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have about life in Grenada and St. Vincent--feel free to PM me. It's actually a pretty campus (GORGEOUS beach for test breaks), and the educational program is very strong.

Best of luck! Just relax and be yourself.
Hey can u plz email me, i have an interview in a week and i want to get some feedback

My application took about 1 week after they received all of my paperwork. Then it took about 3 days to find someone near me for my interview and they scheduled it for today. I am very nervous but I have been preparing.
In total it takes around 3 week at least to do everything =). Hopefully they will tell me a decision early.

GL TO EVERYONE!!!!!!!

Congratulations on the Interview, hopefully you'll get accepted. May you share your stats if its ok with you, I recently applied as well for the January 15 class. I really appreciate it.

Hi, this is my first post on here, ever. Please be gentle :p

I just wanted to share my interview experience.

I submitted my application about a week prior to booking a flight to Grenada through their "See SGU" campus tour. I took the first available booking, which was only three days away.

After booking my flight, I contacted the person who coordinates the tours and asked her if it would be possible to arrange for a courtesy interview while I was on the island. Since my tour was in three days, she replied saying that it would NOT be possible to arrange for an interview on such short notice. So I sucked it up and flew out a few days later, just expecting to take the tour and then fly back home. I should also mention here that right before my plane took off, I checked my email on my phone one last time. I had received an invitation to interview!

As soon as I got settled into my room at the Radisson, I connected to the WiFi and checked my e-mail. Lo and behold, there was a message from Bob Ryan (Associate Dean of Enrollment Planning) asking me if I wanted to interview since I was on the island. He said that I could interview as soon as my tour of the campus was over. I was ecstatic.

Only one problem: since I was told prior to my flight that it would be impossible to set up an interview on such short notice, I didn't pack a suit. I was told to pack lightly, so that's what I did. All I had was shorts, some T-shirts, sneakers and a pair of jeans with a polo shirt. I replied to Mr. Ryan's message explaining my wardrobe crisis, and he reassured me that they completely understand my situation, and that jeans would be fine. He added that their interviews do not tend to be very stressful.

So I showed up on campus wearing my jeans and polo shirt with sneakers, took the tour (which was awesome, by the way), and went in for my interview.

Just before the interview, I was given a sheet of paper with three questions on it:

1. Describe a moment in your life when you decided that you wanted to become a doctor.
2. (Sorry, can't remember what this was, but I'll think about it and try to get back to you guys on this one)
3. Who is your role model?

I just remember that the 2nd question wasn't difficult, at all. I was given 15 minutes to answer all three questions, and the receptionist kept checking in on me to ask if I was done. She told me not to stress too much over the questions, so I asked for just a few more minutes to wrap it up, then I submitted my answers. My answer to the last question was really rushed and half-assed as I had to end it abruptly.

I was then interviewed by the Senior Associate Dean, who was dressed in a polo shirt and shorts. I apologized briefly for the jeans and sneakers, trying not to make a big deal out of it, and he said "don't worry about it at all--look at me, I dressed down just for you!" That pretty much set the tone for the rest of the interview, which was very comforting.

The interview was extremely relaxed; he just asked me about some of my life experiences (I had mentioned that I love to travel and have lived in foreign countries for years at a time). I asked him a few questions about the curriculum and campus life, and we had a pretty "normal" conversation. It didn't seem much like an interview at all. He did have a list of questions that he had to get through, but it was very straightforward stuff (e.g., "How do you plan on paying for your tuition? Family help? Loans? etc.?")

After the interview, I thanked him and he invited me to something called Sandblast, which was a kind of social event on the beach that all the med students would be attending the following day (buy a Sandblast T-shirt and bracelet on campus and drink all the booze you want while socializing with med students on the beach, great deal!).

The result of all that? Five days after I flew back home, I received my acceptance letter in the mail. I will be matriculating into the January 2015 class.

I just went in there and acted like myself. I didn't try to impress him with my knowledge of the health care system, or my previous clinical experience, or otherwise try to be some hotshot. I was just able to speak candidly and passionately about the things that interest me.

So in short, I interviewed in jeans and sneakers, screwed up the last essay question, had a very relaxed conversation with my interviewer, and then he invited me to drink Caribbean rum with some current med students on the beach. I was accepted not even a week later. I guess your mileage may vary, but I have to say that this was probably one of the most awesome interviews I've ever had.

Hope this helps!

Hi..
When did submit your application ?
I submitted my app sometime around the last week of September. I think it was about three weeks from the time I applied until I received my acceptance package.

Thank you.
Great. Congratulations!!!!

I will apply on this weekend..

Hey, it has been of help to me and thanks for sharing this. Am also waiting for an interview with one of the st. Georges committee. Am just concerned about some few things.
1) some guys claim that they were asked to write and essay and I don't recall Yu mentioning that rather u were asked some que so does that mean I should expect any of the two or both?
2)since my guidance called me have never heard from her or the school again Is it normal or I should take some actions on that matter Like sending them an email or I can just relax and wait for the two weeks that she asked me to expect a call after she submitted my application?
3) what is really expected from me and does the interview has to be one on one or they can use other form like through phone calls or mails?
4) are there exams that are to be taken if so what kind apart from the essay that I'll be asked to write?
5) Last but not least what is expected from me before and after the interview? Thanks
NB: do they call everyone or them calling someone shows a high chance of acceptance in their school.
Hi, this is my first post on here, ever. Please be gentle :p

I just wanted to share my interview experience.

I submitted my application about a week prior to booking a flight to Grenada through their "See SGU" campus tour. I took the first available booking, which was only three days away.

After booking my flight, I contacted the person who coordinates the tours and asked her if it would be possible to arrange for a courtesy interview while I was on the island. Since my tour was in three days, she replied saying that it would NOT be possible to arrange for an interview on such short notice. So I sucked it up and flew out a few days later, just expecting to take the tour and then fly back home. I should also mention here that right before my plane took off, I checked my email on my phone one last time. I had received an invitation to interview!

As soon as I got settled into my room at the Radisson, I connected to the WiFi and checked my e-mail. Lo and behold, there was a message from Bob Ryan (Associate Dean of Enrollment Planning) asking me if I wanted to interview since I was on the island. He said that I could interview as soon as my tour of the campus was over. I was ecstatic.

Only one problem: since I was told prior to my flight that it would be impossible to set up an interview on such short notice, I didn't pack a suit. I was told to pack lightly, so that's what I did. All I had was shorts, some T-shirts, sneakers and a pair of jeans with a polo shirt. I replied to Mr. Ryan's message explaining my wardrobe crisis, and he reassured me that they completely understand my situation, and that jeans would be fine. He added that their interviews do not tend to be very stressful.

So I showed up on campus wearing my jeans and polo shirt with sneakers, took the tour (which was awesome, by the way), and went in for my interview.

Just before the interview, I was given a sheet of paper with three questions on it:

1. Describe a moment in your life when you decided that you wanted to become a doctor.
2. (Sorry, can't remember what this was, but I'll think about it and try to get back to you guys on this one)
3. Who is your role model?

I just remember that the 2nd question wasn't difficult, at all. I was given 15 minutes to answer all three questions, and the receptionist kept checking in on me to ask if I was done. She told me not to stress too much over the questions, so I asked for just a few more minutes to wrap it up, then I submitted my answers. My answer to the last question was really rushed and half-assed as I had to end it abruptly.

I was then interviewed by the Senior Associate Dean, who was dressed in a polo shirt and shorts. I apologized briefly for the jeans and sneakers, trying not to make a big deal out of it, and he said "don't worry about it at all--look at me, I dressed down just for you!" That pretty much set the tone for the rest of the interview, which was very comforting.

The interview was extremely relaxed; he just asked me about some of my life experiences (I had mentioned that I love to travel and have lived in foreign countries for years at a time). I asked him a few questions about the curriculum and campus life, and we had a pretty "normal" conversation. It didn't seem much like an interview at all. He did have a list of questions that he had to get through, but it was very straightforward stuff (e.g., "How do you plan on paying for your tuition? Family help? Loans? etc.?")

After the interview, I thanked him and he invited me to something called Sandblast, which was a kind of social event on the beach that all the med students would be attending the following day (buy a Sandblast T-shirt and bracelet on campus and drink all the booze you want while socializing with med students on the beach, great deal!).

The result of all that? Five days after I flew back home, I received my acceptance letter in the mail. I will be matriculating into the January 2015 class.

I just went in there and acted like myself. I didn't try to impress him with my knowledge of the health care system, or my previous clinical experience, or otherwise try to be some hotshot. I was just able to speak candidly and passionately about the things that interest me.

So in short, I interviewed in jeans and sneakers, screwed up the last essay question, had a very relaxed conversation with my interviewer, and then he invited me to drink Caribbean rum with some current med students on the beach. I was accepted not even a week later. I guess your mileage may vary, but I have to say that this was probably one of the most awesome interviews I've ever had.

Hope this
Hi..
When did submit your application ?

SGU interviews are very laid back compared to most medical schools. You will usually meet with a resident or an attending that graduated from there. They will chat with you and ask you expected questions. Why do you want to be a doctor, tell me about a time where you felt xx, tell me about yourself, blah blah blah. After about 20 minutes of this the interviewer might tell you a little about Grenada, what sort of things you can expect while there, their experiences, etc. After that, I had to write a brief (1 page) essay on some vague topic relating to medicine. I think my exact instruction was "Write about an important topic in medicine". After about 20 minutes or so of writing, the interviewer came back and read over my essay, and then we talked about the topic for another 5-10 minutes and that was it.

It is very casual, they aren't trying to trip you up. Don't sweat over it too much. Read through your CV or application summary and think about the questions above. A good interview tip is to think of 2-3 formative experiences in your life, run through the details to prepare, and then try to craft answers that can reference those experiences to answer multiple different kinds of questions.

Reactions: 1 user
SGU interviews are very laid back compared to most medical schools. You will usually meet with a resident or an attending that graduated from there. They will chat with you and ask you expected questions. Why do you want to be a doctor, tell me about a time where you felt xx, tell me about yourself, blah blah blah. After about 20 minutes of this the interviewer might tell you a little about Grenada, what sort of things you can expect while there, their experiences, etc. After that, I had to write a brief (1 page) essay on some vague topic relating to medicine. I think my exact instruction was "Write about an important topic in medicine". After about 20 minutes or so of writing, the interviewer came back and read over my essay, and then we talked about the topic for another 5-10 minutes and that was it.

It is very casual, they aren't trying to trip you up. Don't sweat over it too much. Read through your CV or application summary and think about the questions above. A good interview tip is to think of 2-3 formative experiences in your life, run through the details to prepare, and then try to craft answers that can reference those experiences to answer multiple different kinds of questions.
This. The interview almost feels as if it's not that important. I honestly feel that the decision depends almost entirely on your stats.

That being said, I was incredibly turned off by the professionalism of the person who told me I would be interviewing shortly (NOT the physician interviewer). When they called, they felt it appropriate to say that I would be interviewed, and judging by my numbers wouldn't have too good of a chance at a US school...

Thanks a lot