• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

    Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Interviewing at Wayne, should I contact MSU?

LGW

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2005
36
0
    I have an interview at Wayne State in Detroit on Feb 14 and my post-sec application is in review at MSU.
    Should I e-mail, call, MSU and let them know that I will be in town and would like to visit their campus?
    The only thing is that I will only be in MI from a Friday evening until Tues morning and my interview with Wayne is that Monday, so I would only have Sat/Sun/late Monday to visit MSU, unless they agree and I change my ticket?
    of course I'll only do that if it is an actual interview
     

    AStudent

    Senior Member
    10+ Year Member
    5+ Year Member
    Jan 24, 2005
    877
    8
      I'm in the same boat as you (interviewed at wayne, on hold at MSU) but I got into Wayne already. Keep in mind that East Lansing and Detroit are >100 miles apart and it will take you ~2 hours to get to MSU from Wayne. If you're flying into town and renting a car I don't see a problem, but if you're by cab.....you better bring some $$$$.

      I go to MSU btw, so if you need any help let me know.

      LGW said:
      I have an interview at Wayne State in Detroit on Feb 14 and my post-sec application is in review at MSU.
      Should I e-mail, call, MSU and let them know that I will be in town and would like to visit their campus?
      The only thing is that I will only be in MI from a Friday evening until Tues morning and my interview with Wayne is that Monday, so I would only have Sat/Sun/late Monday to visit MSU, unless they agree and I change my ticket?
      of course I'll only do that if it is an actual interview
       

      PBMaxx

      MS4
      10+ Year Member
      5+ Year Member
      Aug 26, 2004
      341
      0
      45
      Illinois
      1. Medical Student
        I don't think that it could hurt to let them know that you will be in their area during a certain time. As for how you should contact them, use their "preferred" method (if known) be it email or phone. If you don't know which one go with a phone call.

        Luck 2 U :luck:

        PBM
         
        About the Ads

        gbiz

        Senior Member
        10+ Year Member
        7+ Year Member
        Dec 13, 2004
        370
        0
        MI
        1. Resident [Any Field]
          MSU isnt the type to really care. There are med schools that are a lot nicer than others when it comes to things like that. I mean, MSU is no Wright State, but I doubt they'll care...

          But then again, it doesnt hurt to call and see!

          BTW, accepted to WSU, waiting on MSU ;)
           

          LGW

          Member
          10+ Year Member
          5+ Year Member
          Jan 25, 2005
          36
          0
            AStudent said:
            I'm in the same boat as you (interviewed at wayne, on hold at MSU) but I got into Wayne already. Keep in mind that East Lansing and Detroit are >100 miles apart and it will take you ~2 hours to get to MSU from Wayne. If you're flying into town and renting a car I don't see a problem, but if you're by cab.....you better bring some $$$$.

            I go to MSU btw, so if you need any help let me know.


            Lucky me....I'm was born and raised in Detroit (Cali now), so my Mother will be my mode of transportation :D and housing....and her husband is a MSU alumni ( I think he still holds a track record there)....my best friend graduated from there also.....but I'll get my advice from you since you're a current student....thanks in advance
             

            AStudent

            Senior Member
            10+ Year Member
            5+ Year Member
            Jan 24, 2005
            877
            8
              Yeah, I'm a current student too. Plus I can see the medical school and fee hall from my bedroom window, it's only a block away.

              LGW said:
              Lucky me....I'm was born and raised in Detroit (Cali now), so my Mother will be my mode of transportation :D and housing....and her husband is a MSU alumni ( I think he still holds a track record there)....my best friend graduated from there also.....but I'll get my advice from you since you're a current student....thanks in advance
               

              LGW

              Member
              10+ Year Member
              5+ Year Member
              Jan 25, 2005
              36
              0
                Congrats to you two that got into Wayne State!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :love:
                I'll let you know how my interview goes.
                Anything I should know that will help is welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!
                Did you stay with a student...and if not, did you at least contact one of them to talk about the school before your interview?
                 

                ddmo

                BMF
                15+ Year Member
                Sep 8, 2003
                1,027
                6
                  For those of you who are sitting on the MSU/WSU fence come decision time, I might be able to answer some questions you have. Last year I waited till literally 15 min before the deadline to decline MSU-CHM. I am in a unique position in that I attend Wayne, and my gf attends MSU-COM. So I have pretty good insight into how things are run at both schools. Any questions, pm me. I'll give you a zero bs assesment.
                   

                  AStudent

                  Senior Member
                  10+ Year Member
                  5+ Year Member
                  Jan 24, 2005
                  877
                  8
                    Stress serving underserved populations and your desire to train in Detroit (only big city with only 1 medical school). I wrote the latest "enhanced interview feedback" so give that a read, if you have any questions PM me.

                    LGW said:
                    Congrats to you two that got into Wayne State!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :love:
                    I'll let you know how my interview goes.
                    Anything I should know that will help is welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    Did you stay with a student...and if not, did you at least contact one of them to talk about the school before your interview?
                     

                    Soleil9

                    Senior Member
                    10+ Year Member
                    15+ Year Member
                    Oct 18, 2002
                    260
                    1
                    Michigan
                    1. Resident [Any Field]
                      ddmoore54 said:
                      For those of you who are sitting on the MSU/WSU fence come decision time, I might be able to answer some questions you have. Last year I waited till literally 15 min before the deadline to decline MSU-CHM. I am in a unique position in that I attend Wayne, and my gf attends MSU-COM. So I have pretty good insight into how things are run at both schools. Any questions, pm me. I'll give you a zero bs assesment.

                      I'm in a simular situation (S.O. is a COMer but I am currently hoping to attend Wayne... on the waitlist) What benefits (or drawbacks) does Wayne have over COM?

                      Thanks for your insight!
                       

                      twilight

                      Junior Member
                      10+ Year Member
                      5+ Year Member
                      Jan 29, 2005
                      15
                      0
                        LGW said:
                        I have an interview at Wayne State in Detroit on Feb 14 and my post-sec application is in review at MSU.
                        Should I e-mail, call, MSU and let them know that I will be in town and would like to visit their campus?
                        The only thing is that I will only be in MI from a Friday evening until Tues morning and my interview with Wayne is that Monday, so I would only have Sat/Sun/late Monday to visit MSU, unless they agree and I change my ticket?
                        of course I'll only do that if it is an actual interview


                        I have a question. Does anyone know how much weight Wayne State School of Med puts on undergraduate grades? If you did a post-bac, are those grades looked more favorably?

                        Thanks. Good luck with your interview and congrats on those who got in.
                         

                        Soleil9

                        Senior Member
                        10+ Year Member
                        15+ Year Member
                        Oct 18, 2002
                        260
                        1
                        Michigan
                        1. Resident [Any Field]
                          LGW said:
                          I just realized the previous post said she was "waitlisted"
                          Does this mean that am interviewing for a waitlist position next week?

                          Not necessarily. Each month, Wayne offers only a certain number of acceptances. The rest are either waitlisted or rejected (though I don't think there are very many rejections after interview...). Also each month, the waitlisted pool are re-evaluated and some are then accepted. After april, the class will be full and they will start pulling people off the waitlist as those who have been accepted matriculate elsewere.

                          So, in short, no. you're not interviewing only for the waitlist.

                          Hope this clears it up, and good luck!
                           

                          amylynn007

                          Junior Member
                          10+ Year Member
                          5+ Year Member
                          Sep 10, 2004
                          12
                          0
                            LGW said:
                            I have an interview at Wayne State in Detroit on Feb 14 and my post-sec application is in review at MSU.
                            Should I e-mail, call, MSU and let them know that I will be in town and would like to visit their campus?
                            The only thing is that I will only be in MI from a Friday evening until Tues morning and my interview with Wayne is that Monday, so I would only have Sat/Sun/late Monday to visit MSU, unless they agree and I change my ticket?
                            of course I'll only do that if it is an actual interview

                            Just to let you know in advance, MSUCHM does their interviews only on Thursdays.
                            Good luck. :)
                             

                            ddmo

                            BMF
                            15+ Year Member
                            Sep 8, 2003
                            1,027
                            6
                              Soleil9 said:
                              I'm in a simular situation (S.O. is a COMer but I am currently hoping to attend Wayne... on the waitlist) What benefits (or drawbacks) does Wayne have over COM?

                              Thanks for your insight!

                              Drawbacks: That you are an hour away from your S.O., Wayne's atmosphere is more competitive, and not being able to see Big 10 football during the fall.

                              Benefits: Just about everything else in my opinion. Since my opinion is most likely tainted, I'll give my gf's opinions on what is better at Wayne.

                              1) MD degree. Although you can do anything with a DO degree and DOs are just as good of physicians, it makes life easier to have an MD degree. Especially if you are planning on going into a competitive specialty.

                              2) Two classes at a time. We only have two classes at once, compared to as many as 5-6 for COM.

                              3) Monthy exams. This one is debatable depending on your learning style. However, both of us favor the Wayne system where you take your exams for each class back to back once a month. As opposed to COM, where you have up to three exams a week. Of course the Wayne system means the exams are worth a lot more and have a lot more material, but they allow you time to relax between exams. The month also gives you more time to integrate entire concepts without having to cram one topic after the next. But, if you need to be kept on track with weekly exams, then this might not be a benefit to you.

                              4) Clinical rotations at large tertiary care hospitals. At Wayne you are rotating through the largest and most sophisticated hospitals in the state with the exception of UofM's hospital. Compare this to the rural and suburban hospitals of the COM system. This especially pisses off my gf. She has the oportunity to rotate through Henry Ford Bi-county (203 beds) while I'll be in the main hospital with 903 beds.

                              Those are the main things I can think of. I am sure there are more, but it's late... Any specific questions, don't hesitate.
                               
                              About the Ads
                              This thread is more than 16 years old.

                              Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

                              1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                              2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                              3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                              4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                              5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                              6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                              7. This thread is locked.