interviewing at your home program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor Bagel

so cheap and juicy
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My first interview is at my home program, and I just got my schedule the other day. More than half of the interviews are with people who wrote me letters and/or people I worked with on my rotation. I've never interviewed with people I knew before, so I'm kind of curious about how it will go. Will it be pretty relaxed, or will they maybe even grill me? I'm applying in psych where I've heard interviews are generally pretty benign, but I'm just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

It's awesome. Sit back and enjoy it. You'll probably get a lot of questions about why you want to stay there and then things outside of medicine.

I didn't interview at my home program for residency but did interview at my residency program for fellowship. In my interviews I talked with one person about my research background and interests. Another one we talked about cycling. Another was spent discussing Bob Dylan. And one was spent discussing the internal politics of the program. Overall my best interview day.

Our school has one day for it's own applicants and uses it as a 'mock interview' date since they already know most of our information. Yes, the program director already gave me a sort of interview for the LOR but I used this as an opportunity to be much more forward than I would in the actual interview. They schedule the day very early in the cycle to give us a chance to practice and it's a really relaxed day mostly for the applicant's benefit.