Interviewing for PGY-1 positions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dk23

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been covered already but I've been searching past posts for an hour and can't find the answer. :confused:

When do you interview for the internship year? I thought NRMP interviews were in Jan-Feb. Do they interview prelims and transitionals earlier so you can get it all done in one trip? If a kind sould could briefly outline the steps needed to be taken, I'd be grateful. It would help in planning lax vs. intense 4th-year electives. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

dk23 said:
I'm sure this has been covered already but I've been searching past posts for an hour and can't find the answer. :confused:

When do you interview for the internship year? I thought NRMP interviews were in Jan-Feb. Do they interview prelims and transitionals earlier so you can get it all done in one trip? If a kind sould could briefly outline the steps needed to be taken, I'd be grateful. It would help in planning lax vs. intense 4th-year electives. ;)

Well, the earlier you apply the earlier you will be offered interviews. Most of my interview offers started rolling in October along with Ophthalmology offers. Most prelim/transitional programs have interview dates throughout November, December, January and some in early February. Its up to you when you want to schedule your prelim interviews. I either did them really early (end of October/beginning of November) or really late (end of December through February) so I could optimize my ability to schedule Ophthalmology interviews which typically interview from second week of November up to the week before Christmas. You can schedule all in one trip, but it takes some effort and luck (regarding availability of dates at both programs). In terms of what rotations to take etc, if you want to do what I did and go on as many as you possibly can, than you should take the easiest rotations possible. I had Derm in November, and was off in December. I would err on the side of lax from November - January, otherwise even if you only go on 7 or so interviews, the rotation can burn you out and affect your performance. Good luck with the application process.

great advice. thanks!