This question pertains more to the ladies, but what do you all do regarding coats/shoes in cold weather (or snow)?

I've never been in snow before, or anything below 30 degrees, for that matter, and I really like my skirt suit. So obviously I cannot wear sneakers or dress shoes with socks. So what do you do about shoes in the cold weather, esp. regarding snow and slippery sidewalks?

Also, do schools usually have somewhere to hang coats, or are you forced to carry it along during the tour or all day (and possibly feeling awkward)? Or do you just forgo the coat since most of the tour is probably indoors, but then what if some the day requires walking outdoors between buildings, do you just freeze for those brief minutes?

For now I am thinking of wearing a thick wool trench coat type jacket thing, but it doesn't necessarily match my suit. Does this matter? And as I've mentioned earlier, I'm worried about the problem of having to carry it around all day.

Thanks guys.

DrMidlife

has an opinion
10+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
In my experience, and in observing smart things the other women did, I suggest the following:

1. Assume that once you're inside the building, that there will be a room where all the interviewees are corralled, and that you'll be able to leave a coat/bag there, on your chair or in a closet.
2. You can bring 2 pair of shoes: one for walking and one for your interview (smart in warm weather too). If you suspect you'll be walking through snow on a tour, maybe bring flats, pumps AND boots.
3. If you need a bag (such as for extra shoes), then plan to carry a small portfolio and pen into your interview, leaving the bag with your coat.
4. If you have a car, then plan to secure everything you can in the car. You don't need to carry a purse around - leave your valuables in the car, well hidden etc. Don't bring stuff you don't need, and yes you will have time to go to the bathroom.
5. If there's underground parking, or you'll otherwise be indoors once you get out of the car, then leave the big coat in the car so you don't have to deal with it.
6. It totally doesn't matter whether your coat is fashionable or not, but I'd suggest avoiding anything brightly colored. Borrow a trench from somebody.
7. Don't forget gloves, but skip a hat if you're going to worry about your hair. A compact umbrella is nice, just in case.

Best of luck to you.

niranjan162

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
consider that most of the schools are only one building

About the Ads

HeatherMD

Queen of Passiveagressiva
10+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2008
Canada
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
lol

You can still wear your skirt suit. Nylons or black tights (which look great with almost anything) will keep your legs warm enough. Low heeled or flat shoes are best for icy sidewalks. Chances are you won't have to go through much, if any, snow because most places are good about keeping paths shoveled & salted.

I have a wool coat as well that I usually wear out with nice outfits. I don't think it matters if it doesn't match your suit. Warmth > fashion. Chances are, there will be a place for you to hang it, so you won't be forced to carry it.

Can't believe you've never been in snow before!! Hope you like it =)

DrMattOglesby

Grand Master
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
oh...i know why this is posted now...
When I went to Creighton, it was surprisingly nice weather! There was no snow around. In fact, it was a bright and sunshiny day. Surprised me a lot.

Haha thanks, Matt :laugh: As an aside, do you remember having to do anything outdoors at Creighton?

And then there's also LECOM and a handful of other "cold weather schools" I could potentially hear back from in the near future if I get lucky.

DrMattOglesby

Grand Master
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
The only "outside activities" at Creighton were my walk to the school after arriving there that morning (with a ride from my student host). Then after breakfast and presentations, we got into a shuttle and headed across the street to the hospital (to eat lunch, do interviews, and go on a tour). We took the shuttle back to the main campus and received some final presentations and did a tour of the school and talked to a lot of students. It was all VERY relaxed!

RySerr21

i aint kinda hot Im sauna
10+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
im really glad i went to Des Moines in the Fall.....i would hate to see the weather now! Same goes for Chicago! haha

MossPoh

Textures intrigue me
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2006
Tally/Willkillya County
psu.facebook.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I think any school that makes you take a death march through snow would probably be off my list anyway.

Why worry about shoes? You lose feeling in your feet pretty quick anyway.

Haha, you are right. I was mostly worried about the slippery sidewalk scenario seeing as I only invested in one skirt suit so I can't exactly wear regular walking shoes with the skirt. I think I will listen to DrMidlife's advice though and come prepared with the flats, pumps and boots just in case since I am pretty clumsy.

DrYoda

Space Cowboy
10+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2008
Dagobah System
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Haha, you are right. I was mostly worried about the slippery sidewalk scenario seeing as I only invested in one skirt suit so I can't exactly wear regular walking shoes with the skirt. I think I will listen to DrMidlife's advice though and come prepared with the flats, pumps and boots just in case since I am pretty clumsy.

With all the $ medical schools have I would hope they would salt their sidewalks. But I guess you never know.

About the Ads

MossPoh

Textures intrigue me
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2006
Tally/Willkillya County
psu.facebook.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student

I used to sit at a coffee shop at my old school on Thursday and Friday evenings and watch the girls in their little skirts and stilettos try to trek up a hill or stairs with all the ice and snow. It was my guilty pleasure. I would take DrMidlife's advice too...if I were a chick, although my man dress shoes suck and have no traction at all. They aren't going to judge you poorly for thinking ahead. Many college sidewalks are pretty well taken care of. I'm not sure whether medical schools are the same way.

JagerDO

10+ Year Member
May 1, 2008
Illinois
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I grew up outside of chicago makes this thread pretty hilarious to me but I figured I'd throw out my advice for you southerners.
First of all, bring your coat inside. Depending on the day, you might not want to go the 1 minute without a coat. They will expect you to have a coat, scarf, gloves in winter and will have somewhere to put it. If you are set on wearing a skirt, def wear nylons, or better yet tights. Bare legs would be unbearable. Staying warm is part of staying healthy and I always think it's best to appear healthy while interviewing at a health school. For shoes, I wear a medium size thin heel with my suit. I don't have problems in the snow, ice, slush with them but I'm comfortable in most heels so it's up to you. The heel kinda acts as a spike through ice though which is nice haha. Be care of flat flats with no treads- impossible for icy grounds.
Keep an ice scraper in your car, an umbrella if you wish, and make sure you don't let your gas tank get close to E. That should prevent some disasters on your way. PM me if you have other questions and good luck!

MossPoh

Textures intrigue me
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2006
Tally/Willkillya County
psu.facebook.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
The worst is when you don't have gloves or an ice scraper. Have to heat up the car and dig out a piece of cardboard or something. A few times I just put a towel on my window when it was snowing really heavy and then ripped it off the next morning with the snow on top. One of those deals where I was too lazy to get to walmart.

JelloStapler

10+ Year Member
Sep 9, 2008
OR
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
As one who will be in Chicago in a few weeks and Des Moines in January, I would like to thank everyone for this advice! Where I'm from, the entire city practically shuts down in the event of 2 inches of snow!

MossPoh

Textures intrigue me
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2006
Tally/Willkillya County
psu.facebook.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Snow really isn't that bad. It is ice you have to worry about. I'd trade an inch of ice for 2 feet of snow any day. Snow is inconvenient but there is still some bit of traction with proper tires. Ice is just deadly.

Kateb4

10+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2006
Chicagoland
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I interviewed in Chicago in the winter last year and it was COLD that day! I wore suede boots with a low heel, and that was fine with my suit inside and outside. Definately bring your coat with you inside, as well as scarf and gloves if you have them. Not sure about other schools, but the CCOM tour was mostly outside. (they had a coat rack too)

AmyWho

10+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
When they do tours, do they walk you around the entire campus or just in some buildings? And how long is a tour usually?

group_theory

EX-TER-MIN-ATE!'
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Oct 2, 2002
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I would invest in a nice warm overcoat made of either wool or cashmere to wear over your regular interview suit. Even if you don't end up in a school located in cold weather, it will be something good to have in case of medical conferences in cold places (ie Boston, Chicago, NYC, Toronto, etc). It will be something good to have come residency interview time if you are planning on applying something in the midwest or northeast.

A nice overcoat for women
overcoat1.jpg

A nice overcoat for men
menovercoat.jpg

GucciOvercoat.jpg

A nice warm scarf to cover your neck will keep your neck warm. A nice pair of leather glove (lined inside with something warm) will keep your hand warm.

To keep your feet warm, a nice pair of wool or cashmere sock are great at keeping your feet warm. Better than heavy cotton/polyester.

For shoes - if the weather is cold but the walkways/sidewalks are ok, regular business-appropriate shoes are ok. For ice or snowy situation, a nice boot can be used.

Female dress boots
shortboot1.jpg

boot2.jpg

boot3.jpg

Men dress boots
menboot.jpg

menboot1.jpg

Hope this is helpful.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.