1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Interviewing late, any benefits?

Discussion in 'Ophthalmology: Eye Physicians & Surgeons' started by DOCTORSAIB, Dec 14, 2005.

1. DOCTORSAIB

DOCTORSAIB Ophtho or bust!
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm wondering if any of you guys decided to interview late in hopes of improving your chances of matching. I read Iserson's Getting Into A Residency book and it recommends picking the last interview date available. He argues that this improves your chances b/c you'll interview right before the dept. puts together their rank list and so your interviewers are more likely to remember you and rank you higher.

Any thoughts?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. I think that makes sense, especially if programs wait until after the last date to make their rank list. You're "fresh" in their minds.

But I think it depends on how the program does things. I've heard from other programs who rank after each interview day that interviewing in the middle is "better," because if you interview too early they are hesitant to rank you too high, and if you interview late you have to compete against the established "favorites."

Regardless, we're almost done! :clap: