1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

interviewing pregnant?

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by rina33, Jul 25, 2006.

1. rina33

rina33 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

How do you think it will be received by EM residency programs to interview pregnant (~6 months)? Is it better to take off a year after graduation and apply then instead?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. EctopicFetus

EctopicFetus Keeping it funky enough
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    This really depends. I think a 4 yr program 2-4 would be a good bet... FWIW some PDs were all about residents being happy and flat out saying that.. Others probably dont want to be a man or woman down...

4. SoCuteMD

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Honestly I think that between interviewing pregnant and interviewing with a 9 month-1 year old it's really a toss-up. If you interview pregnant they will probably realize that you are due before you begin residency. If you take a year off then obviously you will be more "settled" when residency begins, but they might wonder if you will be looking for child #2 somewhere down the line. Bottom line: you are going to have a child and you ultimately want to be at a place that will be friendly to that so it probably doesn't matter when you interview.

With that said, would you rather take a year and start residency when your child was over a year old or would you rather start residency with an infant?

5. BKN

BKN Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I think most programs are very family oriented. I think it would be fine to interview that way.

As to the second question, raising a child and doing a residency are going to be the two hardest and best things you ever do. Plenty of ladies have done that simultaneously, but if you wanted to take a year off to be with your newborn, I don't think it would be seen negatively.

6. EctopicFetus

EctopicFetus Keeping it funky enough
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    :thumbup:
    :thumbup: damn fine advice...

7. rina33

rina33 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

yes, good advice from everyone- thanks. I think it comes down to essentially this question of personal preferences in terms of taking a year off or not- it seems that either way for residency interviewing/matching won't matter much. Any other opinions are welcomed. Is there anyone else out there who went through residency with young kids (going straight through or taking a year off)- I'd be interested to hear your stories. Thanks!

8. Seaglass

Seaglass Quantum Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think it depends a lot on the atmosphere of a program (if most of the residents are single/childless it might hurt you more). I think it probably won't matter at all at most places. Lots of residents have kids and are still great residents.

9. Seaglass

Seaglass Quantum Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I also think that taking a year off in general hurts you a lot more than interviewing pregnant.