• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

interviewing pregnant?

EctopicFetus

Keeping it funky enough
15+ Year Member
May 3, 2004
Arizona
  1. Attending Physician
    This really depends. I think a 4 yr program 2-4 would be a good bet... FWIW some PDs were all about residents being happy and flat out saying that.. Others probably dont want to be a man or woman down...

SoCuteMD

15+ Year Member
    Nov 28, 2005
    No more rounding!
    1. Attending Physician
      Honestly I think that between interviewing pregnant and interviewing with a 9 month-1 year old it's really a toss-up. If you interview pregnant they will probably realize that you are due before you begin residency. If you take a year off then obviously you will be more "settled" when residency begins, but they might wonder if you will be looking for child #2 somewhere down the line. Bottom line: you are going to have a child and you ultimately want to be at a place that will be friendly to that so it probably doesn't matter when you interview.

With that said, would you rather take a year and start residency when your child was over a year old or would you rather start residency with an infant?

About the Ads

BKN

10+ Year Member
      Oct 31, 2005
        rina33 said:
        How do you think it will be received by EM residency programs to interview pregnant (~6 months)? Is it better to take off a year after graduation and apply then instead?

I think most programs are very family oriented. I think it would be fine to interview that way.

As to the second question, raising a child and doing a residency are going to be the two hardest and best things you ever do. Plenty of ladies have done that simultaneously, but if you wanted to take a year off to be with your newborn, I don't think it would be seen negatively.

EctopicFetus

Keeping it funky enough
        15+ Year Member
        May 3, 2004
        Arizona
        1. Attending Physician
          :thumbup:
          socuteMD said:
          Honestly I think that between interviewing pregnant and interviewing with a 9 month-1 year old it's really a toss-up. If you interview pregnant they will probably realize that you are due before you begin residency. If you take a year off then obviously you will be more "settled" when residency begins, but they might wonder if you will be looking for child #2 somewhere down the line. Bottom line: you are going to have a child and you ultimately want to be at a place that will be friendly to that so it probably doesn't matter when you interview.

With that said, would you rather take a year and start residency when your child was over a year old or would you rather start residency with an infant?
          :thumbup: damn fine advice...

rina33

7+ Year Member
          15+ Year Member
          Mar 9, 2002
          Los Angeles
            EctopicFetus said:
            :thumbup:
            :thumbup: damn fine advice...
            yes, good advice from everyone- thanks. I think it comes down to essentially this question of personal preferences in terms of taking a year off or not- it seems that either way for residency interviewing/matching won't matter much. Any other opinions are welcomed. Is there anyone else out there who went through residency with young kids (going straight through or taking a year off)- I'd be interested to hear your stories. Thanks!

Seaglass

Quantum Member
            15+ Year Member
            Jul 25, 2003
            Winston Salem, NC
            1. Attending Physician
              rina33 said:
              How do you think it will be received by EM residency programs to interview pregnant (~6 months)? Is it better to take off a year after graduation and apply then instead?

I think it depends a lot on the atmosphere of a program (if most of the residents are single/childless it might hurt you more). I think it probably won't matter at all at most places. Lots of residents have kids and are still great residents.

About the Ads
              This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
              2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
              5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
              6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              7. This thread is locked.