interviewing this fall

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

noish

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First time poster, long time reader of this board...

I'm an MSIII who'll be interviewing for ophtho residency in the fall. Say I'm an "average ophtho applicant" who gets 12 interviews. When can I expect these interviews to take place? Are they usually on the weekends? Midweek? Out of these 12 interviews, how many typically take place in October, November, or December? From what I gather, the bulk of them take place in early November...

noish

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to the forum! :D

All interviews I went to were on the weekdays. I think most interviews are during the week so applicants can meet the residents and faculty.

Iowa interview dates are:
Friday, November 19, 2004
Friday, December 10, 2004
Friday, December 17, 2004

Only a handful of schools offer dates in either October or January. The great majority seem to be from the last week of November through the second week of December (pretty much in the period that Iowa offers, as noted above).

The average number of interviews for a successful applicant is 7-8, although I would recommend going to as many as possible. Only turn down an interview (in my humble opinion) if you have conflicts in scheduling that can't be overcome, or you would rather not match (and then have to worry about whether to do an internship or research or something else) than have to go to that program. No matter how competitive you are, the average stats won't work for every applicant, hence the term "average".

Members don't see this ad :)
Plan to be busy from Thanksgiving to Christmas break - mostly weekdays. Use your weekends to travel/catch up on sleep/catch up on the latest on SDN.

My interview schedule was pretty typical from what I gathered. I had 1 interview in late october, 1 about mid-November, and a whole gang of them between about Nov 20 through Dec 18. I also had 1 in January. Go back through the threads from last december and you can get a good idea of things.

Geddy