interviewing this fall

Discussion in 'Ophthalmology: Eye Physicians & Surgeons' started by noish, May 1, 2004.

1. noish

noish Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

First time poster, long time reader of this board...

I'm an MSIII who'll be interviewing for ophtho residency in the fall. Say I'm an "average ophtho applicant" who gets 12 interviews. When can I expect these interviews to take place? Are they usually on the weekends? Midweek? Out of these 12 interviews, how many typically take place in October, November, or December? From what I gather, the bulk of them take place in early November...

noish

2. Andrew_Doan

Andrew_Doan Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Verified Account 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Welcome to the forum! :D

All interviews I went to were on the weekdays. I think most interviews are during the week so applicants can meet the residents and faculty.

Iowa interview dates are:
    Friday, November 19, 2004
    Friday, December 10, 2004
    Friday, December 17, 2004

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Redhawk

Redhawk Fellow
    7+ Year Member

Only a handful of schools offer dates in either October or January. The great majority seem to be from the last week of November through the second week of December (pretty much in the period that Iowa offers, as noted above).

The average number of interviews for a successful applicant is 7-8, although I would recommend going to as many as possible. Only turn down an interview (in my humble opinion) if you have conflicts in scheduling that can't be overcome, or you would rather not match (and then have to worry about whether to do an internship or research or something else) than have to go to that program. No matter how competitive you are, the average stats won't work for every applicant, hence the term "average".

4. mjl34

mjl34 Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Plan to be busy from Thanksgiving to Christmas break - mostly weekdays. Use your weekends to travel/catch up on sleep/catch up on the latest on SDN.

5. GeddyLee

GeddyLee Bad-ass Guitarist
    7+ Year Member

My interview schedule was pretty typical from what I gathered. I had 1 interview in late october, 1 about mid-November, and a whole gang of them between about Nov 20 through Dec 18. I also had 1 in January. Go back through the threads from last december and you can get a good idea of things.

Geddy