Interviewing while an intern!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Fish

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am a prelim in surgery this year, reapplying through ERAS .. Did anybody do this? How do you schedule interviews? I mean it's my career and I have to on the interviews, whether the program allows it or not... any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

It's very difficult. Hopefully, your program will understand and allow you to swap work shifts / calls / etc. They absolutely do not have to give you the time off. If they don't, and you go anyway and don't show up to work, you risk getting fired immediately.

Hopefully, some creative swaps and/or vacation time use will help. Or, perhaps you will get a prematch offer and only require a few interview days. Or, your home program will offer you a spot.

So I am a prelim in surgery this year, reapplying through ERAS .. Did anybody do this? How do you schedule interviews? I mean it's my career and I have to on the interviews, whether the program allows it or not... any advice?

I went through this as an IM prelim intern last year. I took a vacation month in december and then tried to schedule most of my interviews during that month. The interviews that I couldn't get in that month, I had to take a personal day to get back to work the next day. It's not easy, especially as a surgery intern. Yes, as aPD stated, your program does not have to assist you and give you time off. Hopefully you have some understanding fellow interns and they will try to help you out with shifting things around to get days off.

I can just quit though if they're not willing to work with me right? I'll work @ starbux and pray that I match! I hope it doesn't have to come that

I can just quit though if they're not willing to work with me right? I'll work @ starbux and pray that I match! I hope it doesn't have to come that

But then you would be violating your agreement which would piss off your program who in turn can prevent you from getting into a categorical program.

You need your current program's help to get to the next stage.

This is why I advise people to delay graduation or do a research year instead of a prelim year. You only get 1 month off to do interviews which is not enough.

Panda Bear MD went through something similar with a program that initially did not want him to have time off for interviews. He posted about it here if you didn't see it: http://www.studentdoctor.net/pandabearmd/2006/03/22/the-residency-match-part-4/

If I were you I would try talking to the program director right now to see how much time they will allow you off during interviews. Hopefully they will be understanding about it. With a preliminary position, it should not come as a surprise that you want to do interviews! If they aren't understanding, then you have to decide whether you are more comfortable with the idea of taking the risk of resigning from your spot now (check your contract to see how much notice you are supposed to give - it's not like you would be the first person to drop out of a surgery program)...or you could bide your time until next year and interview next year when you will have plenty of time.
I hope things work out for you. I know it is not easy, but lots of others have made it work somehow. :luck::luck:

Thank you all, and Peppy thank you for giving me PB's link, I had not read it and found it very helpful

I wouldn't resign as it would lead your interviewers to wonder if you were having issues with the program other than needing time off for interviews.