Interviews and Missing days while on away rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor4Life1769

**tr0llin, ridin dirty**
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm scheduled to be on aways in October and November - 1st month anesthesiology, 2nd month SICU. Let's say I were to receive interview invitations with options in October and November - which would be most ideal to miss? Towards the middle or end of the month rotation? Also, anesthesiology or SICU month? I don't plan on having anything scheduled early on in the months if I can help it. Please let me know ASAP. Thanks!

PS: Those 2 rotation months are at the same program/hospital site.

Members don't see this ad.

R-35

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Don't schedule interviews during your away rotation. If you don't have any choice I would pick the SICU month, since your applying into anesthesiology. Good luck! :)

Bertelman

Maverick!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm scheduled to be on aways in October and November - 1st month anesthesiology, 2nd month SICU. Let's say I were to receive interview invitations with options in October and November - which would be most ideal to miss? Towards the middle or end of the month rotation? Also, anesthesiology or SICU month? I don't plan on having anything scheduled early on in the months if I can help it. Please let me know ASAP. Thanks!

PS: Those 2 rotation months are at the same program/hospital site.

Do you have interests in attending said program? If so, I would say it was probably a poor choice to schedule back-to-back aways in the middle of interview season. It kind of ties you down for 2 months.

It would be easier for you to miss days during anesthesiology, as you are basically dead weight to the anesthesia team (no offense). They won't miss you when you're gone. As an M4 on SICU, however, you should probably be in charge of managing patients much like an intern. Your absence during that month would cause a shift in the workload to your colleagues.

Again, though, if you are trying to impress an anesthesia dept, asking for time off during the away isn't always the best idea. I'm not saying it's never been done, and I am sure someone can share a story of doing just that and still matching, blah blah blah. I did it, but the interview was on a Sat., and I basically asked to leave by 3 pm on a Friday. I don't think anyone other than the resident I was scheduled with that day was aware I was going to an interview.

Members don't see this ad :)

Doctor4Life1769

**tr0llin, ridin dirty**
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you have interests in attending said program? If so, I would say it was probably a poor choice to schedule back-to-back aways in the middle of interview season. It kind of ties you down for 2 months.
I do have interest in that program. While I understand it may have been a poor choice, I was given advice that doing an anesthesiology and SICU month there would greatly enhance my chances. I will not mention the name of the program. However, I did understand that it could tie me down.

It would be easier for you to miss days during anesthesiology, as you are basically dead weight to the anesthesia team (no offense). They won't miss you when you're gone. As an M4 on SICU, however, you should probably be in charge of managing patients much like an intern. Your absence during that month would cause a shift in the workload to your colleagues.

Again, though, if you are trying to impress an anesthesia dept, asking for time off during the away isn't always the best idea. I'm not saying it's never been done, and I am sure someone can share a story of doing just that and still matching, blah blah blah. I did it, but the interview was on a Sat., and I basically asked to leave by 3 pm on a Friday. I don't think anyone other than the resident I was scheduled with that day was aware I was going to an interview.
The program that invited me gave me dates for options. However, they also mentioned that IF none of the dates work for me, they could accommodate with me on a date I request however the whole sha-bang that goes on with interviews would not be happening (i.e. pre-interview dinner the night before, resident luncheon, etc). Thoughts? Should I roll with this option and schedule it for say a Saturday? Thanks!

Gasman0

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an interview scheduled during an away. I had no choice. I dont think it should really be that big of a deal.

Bertelman

Maverick!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would schedule the interview during a normal interview day, and sacrifice the pride of the away program you will be rotating through. If you interview on an "off" day at a program, you are risking not talking to some of the most important people- PD, residents, etc. Some of the most reliable insider info is gleaned from pre-interview dinners and time with residents away from the OR.

What's done is done. You're there for two months, and there's nothing you can do about it now. I would just try to schedule as many interviews you possibly can in December. If you confirm an interview date during one of the rotations, I would suggest letting them know sometime before you start the rotation.

Chances are this won't come back to bite you in the ass, but just a word of advice to future applicants- You are committing one month of your time during an "away" to impress people. Asking for a day off, even for a completely legitimate reason, is one less day you will have to impress and rub elbows. I can't possibly think that asking for an interview day off will help your chances.

Doctor4Life1769

**tr0llin, ridin dirty**
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Problem is - it would be 2 days off since the pre-interview dinner is the night before the interview. :(

I could definitely take weekend calls to make up for lost time - unless most people already do this? I'm at a program currently that does not have students work on weekends - so I'm unaware of such things. (???)

Oh well, que sera sera ... :rolleyes:

WaveEquation

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Problem is - it would be 2 days off since the pre-interview dinner is the night before the interview. :(

I could definitely take weekend calls to make up for lost time - unless most people already do this? I'm at a program currently that does not have students work on weekends - so I'm unaware of such things. (???)

Oh well, que sera sera ... :rolleyes:

Pre-interview dinners seem like a major inconvenience. I may try to fly in at night and just do the interview the next day and be gone the next day.

fakin' the funk

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pre-interview dinners seem like a major inconvenience. I may try to fly in at night and just do the interview the next day and be gone the next day.

You should definitely go to the dinner if you reasonably can. You can get your own feel for what the residents and the program are like.

To the OP: if you're going on a "normal" number of interviews (~8-10) you shouldn't really have a problem scheduling them all during December or January. Given that you've scheduled an away during November, this is what I'd recommend. To others out there, November and December are the major interviewing months and if you can it's nicer to finish 'em earlier rather than later.

lord_jeebus

和魂洋才
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score

Also, many interviewers will casually ask you about the dinner, and if they learn you weren't there (without a reasonable explanation), they will question your interest in their program.

Doctor4Life1769

**tr0llin, ridin dirty**
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
You should definitely go to the dinner if you reasonably can. You can get your own feel for what the residents and the program are like.

To the OP: if you're going on a "normal" number of interviews (~8-10) you shouldn't really have a problem scheduling them all during December or January. Given that you've scheduled an away during November, this is what I'd recommend. To others out there, November and December are the major interviewing months and if you can it's nicer to finish 'em earlier rather than later.

:oops:
Didn't realize interviews were prominent starting in October even ...

I'd been in perfect shape had their last date offered been a week after 12/8. Since genius me has an SICU (ran by anesth. dept) during that time-frame still - either I may schedule it during the anesthesia rotation, or just cancel it. The place I'm at for that month is my Top 2. The place I'll be going to do my critical care month (ran by anesth. dept)is my other top pick. If I get enough interview offers, that's what I'll do, I suppose. Gosh, 2 days ... why couldn't dinners be after the interview.

killerleaf

beware, beyond there be dragons
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The dinners are for you and the residents to size each other up. Interviews are for the faculty to decide if they could work with you. Barring an unfortunate circumstance, programs look sideways at a candidate that cannot be bothered to show early enough for the dinner the night before. It definitely shows a lack of interest. If it comes down to you and another applicant, the selection committee is going to go with the one who actually appeared to want to come to this institution.

Perception, perception, perception.

As to the original question: Missing a couple of days during an away is not a big deal. Missing more than a couple of days and having your workload dumped on someone else is. Programs understand that this is interview season, and will work with you for the most part. If they don't, then that might be something to consider....education vs. service.