Interviews at Top Tier NY IM programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Caneforlife

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was wondering what average credentials were for interviews at Columbia, Cornell, Sinai and NYU in terms of USMLE, grades, Researcg etc....

Members don't see this ad.

Was wondering what average credentials were for interviews at Columbia, Cornell, Sinai and NYU in terms of USMLE, grades, Researcg etc....

So tiering it out, Columbia is more competitive than Cornell by a bit. And Sinai and NYU are right after. All are top-notch academic medicine programs and are relatively difficult to get into.

For Columbia you might need 240+, honors in medicine/SubI, and some published research.

For the other schools, I think 230+, honors in medicine/SubI, and having done research should be solid.

The moral of the story is apply where you want to be. I am the average person. No bells and whistles. I have worked hard, have a superior in IM and Sub I with the average score on both boards. My recs were good and I am passionate about what I want to do. My alma mater is nothing grand....I got every interview that I applied for including my one choice in NYC. Just get yourself out there and do a rotation at your top place. Write a good personal statement, and get recs from people that can advocate for you. EVERYONE can get into ANY school they want if you are average and determined.

Personally I have had people tell me they would rather have good grades in the right areas and average scores with a normal personality than top of the top and socially inept.....food for thought.

Members don't see this ad :)
Step 1 - 234
1st quartile for years 1 & 2,
slighty above the median for the clinical clerkships(our school does not use the honor system)
I was wondering if anyone had some advice as when to take step2. I would like to get interviews at the top NY schools including Columbia. I was wondering if I should take it early or take it around december time. If i take it in December I could probably send the score to schools that have offered me interviews if the score is good and withhold the score if not.

Hi Cane for life,
I've found that taking step 2 in December in order to release the score is probably not helpful. You can either take it early (june-Sept) and then release it for your application, or take it later in the year (dec-onwards) and not release it, and just coast through step 2. After December, I'm not sure it'll make a difference in the application process.

That said, I think your 234 is fine for Step 1. In my experience, Step 1 scores did not matter much for IM. I got 5 points lower than you, and I was fortunate to have interviewed at almost every top program in the country, and all of the NYC programs. I really think for IM they look more at your clerkship grades, especialy your medicine clerkship. Also, LOR's are VERY important for medicine! Those two things will go a lot further than a step 1 score.

I hope this helps!