Interviews at TULANE for waitlist spot?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meg603

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was reading some of the interview reviews about Tulane and noticed that a few people who have recently interviewed were informed that the 2005 entering class is already full and the interviews are only for a waitlist spot. I was just wondering if they were told this by a student or admin? I called the admissions office and they said that it is not true, and they are still accepting students.

Does anyone know for sure what the status is?
I'm just wondering if I want to spend alot of money travelling down there if it is just for a waitlist spot. And if they did lie to me when I called admissions then I'm extremely dissappointed with the school because students spend alot of money travelling and should be informed!

Members don't see this ad.

hey its definitely a waitlist, the administrator told us couple wks ago in the info session. the class is already full, but im sure the waitlist movement is fast at this time of year.

yea people have said the same thing in the "tulane class of 2009" thread, but maybe they have had withdrawals recently.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I interviewed in October, a Tulane med student who participates in admissions told me that most people interviewing in the spring are going to be waitlisted. But he also said that there is a program that allows waitlisted students to take 2 or 3 courses (physiology, anatomy and cellular bio I think) and if they perform at or above a certain level, they are guaranteed a spot in the next year's medical school class.

The second poster's right--lots of schools don't give out acceptances or decisions until March so lots could change.

PookieGirl said:
When I interviewed in October, a Tulane med student who participates in admissions told me that most people interviewing in the spring are going to be waitlisted. But he also said that there is a program that allows waitlisted students to take 2 or 3 courses (physiology, anatomy and cellular bio I think) and if they perform at or above a certain level, they are guaranteed a spot in the next year's medical school class.

its called the anatomy certification program, you'd take the basic first year sciences with med students, and then enter the med school the next year and be a TA for anatomy while taking only the foundations in med classes. basically med school in 5yrs

I interview on March 14th. Interviewing for a waitlist is better than receiving a rejection so I will be there considering I haven't heard from my top choices yet. Plus I've heard many great things about Tulane.

They had already accepted more students than they had seats for back on 12/2/04. Not sure what that means vis-a-vis whether they are interviewing for spots today, however...

If the class is indeed full already, does anyone know how fast and to what degree the waitlist at Tulane typically moves?

I don't know what truth there is to this whole "interviewing for the waitlist" thing, but I do know that they are expecting a lot of movement because they have recently extended the interview season into April at Tulane. That means they aren't going to have interviewed enough people to fill the class of 2009 by mid-March (when they usually stop interviewing), so they are giving out extra interviews. Also, I can guarantee you that there is always a huge amount of movement on the waitlist. I am a fourth year student and I would venture to say that half to 2/3 of my class was at one point on the waitlist. Maybe more. People get accepted off the waitlist until the first day of classes. I promise you that if you go down there for an interview now you will not be wasting your time. Plus, the weather is great this time of year and there's always a party in New Orleans!

O that's just great! Increase my chances of not getting off the waitlist by extending the interview season!

It's okay though. I'm not going to let this affect me. I'm going to Tulane University School of Medicine. I have said it. Let it be so!

2tall said:
I'm going to Tulane University School of Medicine. I have said it. Let it be so!

Good for you! Write an LOI ASAP and keep them coming. The more letters you write, the more often they have to pull your file and look at your name. That ought to help your chances of getting in.

Good luck!

I interviewed at Tulane on 2/21/05 and had read on this website that they were interviewing for the waitlist only. However, when I interviewed with Dr. Beckman (who ultimately has the final word in acceptances), she told me this was untrue. I definitely believe her because I got my acceptance letter in the mail a week after my interview!

Yeah, the Associate Dean of Admissions came in to talk to us and he basically said that the person who said that the class is full is a lying bastard who should rot in hell. He said that that was a blatant lie and that they still send out acceptances every week.