interviews + car

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ems5184

Denist (future)
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did you guys go to the interviews yourselves or did you bring someone along with you? It seems kinda weird to go cross-country to an unfamiliar area and not bring anyone with you?

Also, say for a place like UCONN, how do you get around if you're not 25 and old enough to rent a car if you fly in?

Members don't see this ad.

I brought my boyfriend along for my cross-country trek to Philly - it was a lot more enjoyable to have someone to go out to dinner with and to see the sites.
As far as cars - I know that Thrifty rents to anyone over 21 as long as you have your own credit card. And some other companies charge a fee to those under 25, but will still rent to you.

OK, I wasnt aware of that...thanks for your input Jess.

Members don't see this ad :)
ems5184 said:
Did you guys go to the interviews yourselves or did you bring someone along with you? It seems kinda weird to go cross-country to an unfamiliar area and not bring anyone with you?

Also, say for a place like UCONN, how do you get around if you're not 25 and old enough to rent a car if you fly in?

At UConn, I took a taxi to my interview.. but it costs 50 one way, luckily i split it on the way back with another interviewer. I stayed at the Days inn that was right by the airport ($60).. it was nice and convenient because I used the shuttle to get to the hotel from the airport and back.

I couldn't afford to take anyone else (I guess most of us are in that same boat) or knew anyone who could skip as much school as I did. I interviewed at Case, VCU, Maryland, Loma Linda, Nova, and UNLV. To save $ I generally stayed with students from my school and they were all really cool about me crashing on the couch (and they're better at telling you what the school is really like). Also, I tried to figure out the public transportation as best I could on the internet before I went. I never rented a car and the only time I took a taxi was from the Vegas strip to the airport. Basically, last semester I saw a lot of the country I hadn't seen before, met a lot of cool people, had a great time, and did it all as cheaply as I could!

USUaggie said:
I couldn't afford to take anyone else (I guess most of us are in that same boat) or knew anyone who could skip as much school as I did. I interviewed at Case, VCU, Maryland, Loma Linda, Nova, and UNLV. To save $ I generally stayed with students from my school and they were all really cool about me crashing on the couch (and they're better at telling you what the school is really like). Also, I tried to figure out the public transportation as best I could on the internet before I went. I never rented a car and the only time I took a taxi was from the Vegas strip to the airport. Basically, last semester I saw a lot of the country I hadn't seen before, met a lot of cool people, had a great time, and did it all as cheaply as I could!

So how do you guys catch up on the classses while you have to go to all these interviews?

I was planning on taking mostly easy electives, so if i had to miss a lot of classes, i wouldnt be completely screwed..

JamesD said:
So how do you guys catch up on the classses while you have to go to all these interviews?

I was planning on taking mostly easy electives, so if i had to miss a lot of classes, i wouldnt be completely screwed..

Keeping up with classes sucked. I had to make up like 2 exams b/c my interviews were ironically scheduled on my exam days. Professors are pretty understanding though. Take em' early if you can...that's what i ended up doing. :thumbdown:

toothfairy_TX said:
Keeping up with classes sucked. I had to make up like 2 exams b/c my interviews were ironically scheduled on my exam days. Professors are pretty understanding though. Take em' early if you can...that's what i ended up doing. :thumbdown:

I know what you mean.. I had to make up four exams as soon as I got back.. I couldnt take it earlier but taking it later wasnt that big of an advantage because it was not like I was studying while I was away.

I enjoyed last semester because I wasn't as anal about my grades as I had been during the previous 3 years. I took some easy classes and studied a little and i did have to make up about 3 or 4 exams on different days, but the teachers respected what I was doing so they were easy to work with.

Also, say for a place like UCONN, how do you get around if you're not 25 and old enough to rent a car if you fly in?[/QUOTE]
You don't have to be 25 to rent a car from some places. Enterprise has the lowest rates for those under 25 in my experience.