interviews from mid tier programs?

Started by Pablo94
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Pablo94

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am applying anesthesia and was wondering if it is possible that "middle" or "low-tier" anesthesia residency programs are reluctant to give interview invites out to applicants with strong scores. I don't want to come off arrogant or anything like that, It's just that I have received several interviews from "top tier" programs and was recently denied an interview from a program that would not be considered so "high tier". I want to match into my home states program to be near family and it is not considered "top tier". I am just worried I won't be offered an interview there. Are programs hesitant to offer interviews to "overqualified" applicants? (I do not think I am overqualified for anything by any means, it is just that my scores are a bit higher than anesthesias average)
 
We, as DOs you are never overqualified for residency selection. The match is such a **** show no matter what. And hell, who knows that not top program could be anti-DO. There’s always that possibility. Best bet is to reach out to your home program
 
We, as DOs you are never overqualified for residency selection. The match is such a **** show no matter what. And hell, who knows that not top program could be anti-DO. There’s always that possibility. Best bet is to reach out to your home program
Yep. The university IM program where I worked has never taken a DO, and I was told by my personal internist won't in my lifetime. This is why I advise my students to not waste their time on these programs. Plenty of good programs that take DOs. Just Google the program and look at their residency roster.