interviews from mid tier programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pablo94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying anesthesia and was wondering if it is possible that "middle" or "low-tier" anesthesia residency programs are reluctant to give interview invites out to applicants with strong scores. I don't want to come off arrogant or anything like that, It's just that I have received several interviews from "top tier" programs and was recently denied an interview from a program that would not be considered so "high tier". I want to match into my home states program to be near family and it is not considered "top tier". I am just worried I won't be offered an interview there. Are programs hesitant to offer interviews to "overqualified" applicants? (I do not think I am overqualified for anything by any means, it is just that my scores are a bit higher than anesthesias average)

Members don't see this ad.

We, as DOs you are never overqualified for residency selection. The match is such a **** show no matter what. And hell, who knows that not top program could be anti-DO. There’s always that possibility. Best bet is to reach out to your home program

We, as DOs you are never overqualified for residency selection. The match is such a **** show no matter what. And hell, who knows that not top program could be anti-DO. There’s always that possibility. Best bet is to reach out to your home program
Yep. The university IM program where I worked has never taken a DO, and I was told by my personal internist won't in my lifetime. This is why I advise my students to not waste their time on these programs. Plenty of good programs that take DOs. Just Google the program and look at their residency roster.

Reactions: 1 users