Interviews Job vs Internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychfi

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to start interviewing for VA jobs and I was wondering if there are any difference in the interview style vs the internship or any advice you have for first timer VA job interviews.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Highlight your prior training in (if you have it) structured protocols (esp. from a CBT perspective) such as CBT-I, PE, CPT, ACT, or any other. If you don't have such training/experience, express your passion for wanting to be trained on such protocols. Also, make sure to pepper your speech with 'evidence-based' (this or that) at every opportunity. Make it clear that you're passionate about 'outcomes' in the form of patients reducing their endorsement of sydrome-based symptoms (e.g., PCL-5 for PTSD, GAD-7 for generalized anxiety, PHQ-9 for depression) and that you understand and appreciate the 'whole health' paradigm (which is basically the biopsychosocial model) as a 'revolutionary' and novel approach to conceptualizing physical, psychological, spiritual and communal well-being. And make sure to break eye contact first and keep your head down and don't interrupt (assume a submissive posture).

Only half-kidding. Seriously, have something meaningful and supportive to say about all of the above. And, oh yeah, you're passionate about working with veterans.

Reactions: 1 user
VA typically uses performance-based interviewing, so you can try to find additional information about that. Broadly, as a general interviewing strategy, I typically recommend having specific examples and "hard numbers" available for as many different questions and topics as you can.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yup, look up Performance-Based Interviews and be prepared for the questions with possible examples.

FWIW, I found the job application process much easier than the internship or even post doc interview process.