Interviews on Back-to-Back days?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CS_22

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I don't know if this is even a bad thing, but is there anything wrong with doing interviews on back-to-back days? Just wanted to make sure I wasn't "not thinking" of something before it came up later.

CS

Members don't see this ad.

Nope. I did it a few times for my PA and OH interviews, since there are quite a few progrmas in those states... you should definately try to bunch them up. Just make sure you plan a good amount of time in advance... get a cheap hotel near the hospital (if there's no free hotel offered), and make sure you can do the drive.

I did Philly -> Pittsburgh -> Akron in 3 days

then York, PA -> Danville, PA (Geisinger) in two days.

Q

QuinnNSU said:
Nope. I did it a few times for my PA and OH interviews, since there are quite a few progrmas in those states... you should definately try to bunch them up. Just make sure you plan a good amount of time in advance... get a cheap hotel near the hospital (if there's no free hotel offered), and make sure you can do the drive.

I did Philly -> Pittsburgh -> Akron in 3 days

then York, PA -> Danville, PA (Geisinger) in two days.

Q

Thanks Quinn. Didn't think it would be a problem, just didn't wanna be forgetting something.

Members don't see this ad :)
CS_22 said:
So I don't know if this is even a bad thing, but is there anything wrong with doing interviews on back-to-back days? Just wanted to make sure I wasn't "not thinking" of something before it came up later.

CS

I think back-to-back is fine, but anything more than that may be a bit much. Originally I had scheduled UNC, Duke, Carolinas, and Wake Forest all in 4 days. I wound up cancelling one a couple weeks before the interviews, and am very glad I did. Even just doing 3 in 4 days felt like a little too much by the last one. You may wind up missing some of the dinners the night before, too, so keep that in mind if its important to you.

In addition to the cheap hotel, I'd recommend lots of coffee. Interviews, especially back-to-back ones are exhausting.

Good luck!
Jeff

I have three in four days for the Minnesota residencies. This has to be a popular combo as they are so close.

Doing 3 in 3 days in the NW ohio area. Dayton, toledo and columbus.. about 3 hours drive... Shouldnt be too bad should it? Hmm maybe ill cancel one of them.. Still unsure. Thoughts?

Not sure I would try Dayton, Toledo and Columbus in three days. If you don't do any of the dinner/social stuff I think you could get on the road by 4pm and drive until 7pm. By the time you check in and figure out where you are going the next morning you have to be pretty dead. I would try to move one to give you a day off in the middle.

Surprisingly, I find your welfare line much more offensive than the ectopic fetus or **** thing.

Not trying to offend.. just making a point.. anyhow.. the **** thing is actually the work f u n k y.. Not sure why it wont let it go through.. Surely that cant offend anyone. Ectopic Fetus.. whats so offensive about that.. and lastly the welfare line is just a statement why would it offend?

Anyhow thanks for your advice. I think I will try to reschedule one of them..

Quimby how about 3 in a row... Is that a little too much? Just wondering what your thought on that is?

Back to back interviews worked just fine for me. Maybe take notes afterwards though, as the characteristics start to blend together when you do this.

For what it's worth, I think three in a row is do-able if there isn't too much driving involved.

I did a two in a row without any difficulty... Maryland and Christiana

Of course this is the time of year where I get to add 'But then again, I had to scramble' to the end of all my posts.