Interviews part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey,
I heard from SLU also. What date did you request?
I requested Sept. 27.

-MS

Idiopathic said:
Heard from SLU today (9/7)

Members don't see this ad :)
I havent decided on a date yet. Im supposed to start an away rotation in Nashville on the 26th. Im wondering if it would be best to be two days late to my away elective or to take a day and a half off in the middle, add about 500 miles of driving, and just do it that way. Are the first two days really that important? (my gut says yes).

I heard form SLU also - I'm not going until October 6.

hmmm... tough call. I think you are right- do it in the middle, there
may be other students starting at the same time, you don't want to
start off 2 steps behind...

Idiopathic said:
I havent decided on a date yet. Im supposed to start an away rotation in Nashville on the 26th. Im wondering if it would be best to be two days late to my away elective or to take a day and a half off in the middle, add about 500 miles of driving, and just do it that way. Are the first two days really that important? (my gut says yes).

So does anyone have any good info on this program? Ive seen whats on the web, but anyone have first hand knowledge?

Idiopathic said:

but i think its better the first two days, that way they kinda 'forget about it'. plus heck its interview season....i mean they should understand i imagine

so I did not apply. Should we post the programs we applied to?

Idiopathic said:

If it were me, I would feel better about going toward the end of the rotation vs the beginning. I am always anxious at the beginning of a new rotation and wouldn't want to miss any kind of orientation. Besides, you could come interview the same day as me! In the big picture I'm sure it wouldn't matter to program you are doing your rotation at - thinkfast is right on the money it is interview season.

For all of you that were invited to interview at SLU, what date did they download all of your paperwork and do all of you have your anesthesia grades in yet? They downloaded my stuff yesterday afternoon, haven't heard from them yet. Thanks and congrats to all

driverabu said:
For all of you that were invited to interview at SLU, what date did they download all of your paperwork and do all of you have your anesthesia grades in yet? They downloaded my stuff yesterday afternoon, haven't heard from them yet. Thanks and congrats to all
They downloaded my stuff yesterday afternoon, I don't have any anesthesia grades and I only have one LOR in.

I had my stuff submitted at 9 AM on september 1. They d/l me on 9/2, and my board scores on 9/6.

I have:

Two LOR's (one gas)
USMLE and COMLEX
No "anesthesia" grade (all pass)

Members don't see this ad :)
ThinkFast007 said:
but i think its better the first two days, that way they kinda 'forget about it'. plus heck its interview season....i mean they should understand i imagine

along these lines... do you guys think it's considered "bad form" to take time off of an away rotation to go interview at ANOTHER program (that isn't your home program)?

something tells me yes, but on the other hand -- what can you do, right?

Congrats guys, I'm still waiting ;) .

kid korea said:
along these lines... do you guys think it's considered "bad form" to take time off of an away rotation to go interview at ANOTHER program (that isn't your home program)?

something tells me yes, but on the other hand -- what can you do, right?

The way I look at it is: if they dont want me to go on the interview, they can lock me up with a contract ;)

Idiopathic said:
The way I look at it is: if they dont want me to go on the interview, they can lock me up with a contract ;)

true, but i mean, wouldn't you feel sheepish telling (for example) a program on the west coast "sorry, i've gotta miss a few days, got an interview on the east coast"? i realize that if it came up, we'd have little choice but to do it. it just makes me feel sheepish thinking about it.

Idiopathic said:
Hey Idio

I totally agree with you on this. If you kick a$$ on a rotation and both parties like each other you should be able to sign a contract. But hey I had a q about this. I thought it was against the NRMP rules to get out of the match and sign a contract with the folks.

On the contrary, I know for a fact that FMGs are allowed to sign contracts outside the match. I really dont get why they can adn we cant. Or is it that we can, but there's a certain way to do it?

The reason i'm curious is cuz on that NRMP thing it specifically says we CAN NOT drop out of the match all of a sudden and then sign a contract with a program :mad: :mad:

if any of you astute law types know any 'loop holes' do share :D

ThinkFast007 said:
Hey Idio

I totally agree with you on this. If you kick a$$ on a rotation and both parties like each other you should be able to sign a contract. But hey I had a q about this. I thought it was against the NRMP rules to get out of the match and sign a contract with the folks.

On the contrary, I know for a fact that FMGs are allowed to sign contracts outside the match. I really dont get why they can adn we cant. Or is it that we can, but there's a certain way to do it?

The reason i'm curious is cuz on that NRMP thing it specifically says we CAN NOT drop out of the match all of a sudden and then sign a contract with a program :mad: :mad:

if any of you astute law types know any 'loop holes' do share :D

DO's can, since they are not (yet) bound by the ACGME rules regarding the match. As long as a program pulls that spot from the match, they can offer it to a DO/IMG without repercussion. Some programs (UAB, for instance) even have applications on their website for positions outside of the match.

Idiopathic said:
DO's can, since they are not (yet) bound by the ACGME rules regarding the match. As long as a program pulls that spot from the match, they can offer it to a DO/IMG without repercussion. Some programs (UAB, for instance) even have applications on their website for positions outside of the match.

Are you totally sure about this?

Got my first invite today (9/8). It was from SLU as well. I submitted ERAS on 9/2. :luck:

Got an interview at Florida today 9/9.

received an invite to interview at UIC today (9/9). i don't think i have ANY LORs in the system yet (although i've been told they've been sent in).

Hold on, it's about to start...

Dartmouth 9/9
MMC 9/9

Good luck all!

Could we maybe do the prelim and TY separate? That will "clutter" the thread quickly and isn't as interesting to everyone as not all will even be hunting for them. :)

Dartmouth by email, both programs actually.

FYI- Dartmouth supposedly requires FOUR LORs even though freida says 3. My friend talked to the PD or someone like that. Obviously, that doesn't matter yet though- I have only two in.

Does anyone know about Darts strengths or weaknesses?

SLU (9/7) by email
Emory (9/9) Program director called me at home
Oklahoma (9/9) by email

DrDre' said:
Dartmouth by email, both programs actually.

FYI- Dartmouth supposedly requires FOUR LORs even though freida says 3. My friend talked to the PD or someone like that. Obviously, that doesn't matter yet though- I have only two in.

Does anyone know about Darts strengths or weaknesses?

Old Man Dave is a resident there.

i'm going to ask Dr. Vent if we can have this as Sticky, much like the IM ppl did on their forum. Perhaps making this the 'official' thread for interview posts (lol since there's like 3 of them).

9/10 Utah
Form letter from Sept. 2nd. States app is incomplete, will contact later. I have everything but 1 LOR and MSPE.

UU was snail mail.

Thanks for reminding me that OMD goes to Dartmouth. Maybe he will chime in...

I got B-lawns yesterday too. I thought we should keep TYs off though cause that will add a lot of post volume. Are you in IA? If not, I can tell you insider info on the Lawns if you need it.

ThinkFast007 said:
i'm going to ask Dr. Vent if we can have this as Sticky, much like the IM ppl did on their forum. Perhaps making this the 'official' thread for interview posts (lol since there's like 3 of them).

TF I think this thing will stay pretty hot for a while so I'll avoid yet another stickey for now.

VentdependenT said:
TF I think this thing will stay pretty hot for a while so I'll avoid yet another stickey for now.
sounds good to me :thumbup:

DrDre' said:
I got B-lawns yesterday too. I thought we should keep TYs off though cause that will add a lot of post volume. Are you in IA? If not, I can tell you insider info on the Lawns if you need it.

Dre,

If you could give me the scoop on B-lawns that would be great! I'm not from Iowa so any info would be much appreciated. :) You can PM me if you prefer.

As far as posting Transitionals - I just saw the new thread, so I will 'cut & paste' my prior post.

Thanks.

(9/12) Form letter from Wake that they have got apps and will be offering interviews in the next few weeks

Does anybody know anything about Emory? Is it a good program? Looking through their website it seems that they have pretty much everything that anybody woud be looking for in a residency program (VA hospital, pain clinic, etc.) It is pretty much the only program that I have applied to that I have no idea about.

hey... this program didn't get great reviews on scutwork, anyone know more about it?
thanks!

Emory is a good place... I'm doing an away rotation there right now. Several large hospitals to work in.

MD/TX2006 said:
hey... this program didn't get great reviews on scutwork, anyone know more about it?
thanks!

Emory is a good place... I'm doing an away rotation there right now. Several large hospitals to work in.

The most recent review is good

Status
Not open for further replies.