Interviews: Plane, Hotel, etc.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

informatique

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm worried about traveling for interviews in the upcoming fall/winter. Can someone post up some tips? I've never traveled alone before so I'm a bit worried about mucking up the process.

Do I call a cab once I get off at the airport and go to my hotel. Then, stay for the night, and call a cab and head to the school early in the morning? Where should I leave my suitcase while I'm interviewing if I have to check out in the morning? Did you guys stay in hotels that were within walking distance to the interview site?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm worried about traveling for interviews in the upcoming fall/winter. Can someone post up some tips? I've never traveled alone before so I'm a bit worried about mucking up the process.

Do I call a cab once I get off at the airport and go to my hotel. Then, stay for the night, and call a cab and head to the school early in the morning? Where should I leave my suitcase while I'm interviewing if I have to check out in the morning? Did you guys stay in hotels that were within walking distance to the interview site?

you can bring your suitcase with you to the interview. they either have a room for you to store it in or a place where you can store it next to you (like near your desk). it's not all that bad. if you want to play it safe then a taxi cab is the best bet, but trust me it can get costly.

some schools have lists of students who are willing to let you spend the night. they are sometimes even willing to pick you up at the airport! (but plan for a cab or rental car). call the school to see if they have such a list. if your destination is more than about 10 minutes from the airport then it will probably be cheaper to rent a car than get a cab, plus you can drive around a bit and check out the city if you arrive early or leave late enough.

Members don't see this ad :)

The thing that I worried most was a flight delay, especially if you travel during the snowing season. It better to arrive early than to be late or a no show. As for suitcase, most hotel or even motel let you leave your suitcase there and you can go pick it up after the interview. If you can, find a hotel that is close to school. So, you dont have to worry about taking bus or taxi or be late.

Most of the dental schools in the country are in fairly large cities, which is good for budget travelers because it means you can use public transport! This can save you a TON of money.

When you get an interview invite, the first thing to do is to look into what sort of public transportation is available. Some schools might provide you with a list of options, in my case I had to do most of the searching on my own. If you can, book a hotel that is close to a bus or subway route that covers the airport and the school. If you have to (this is most often the case) you can find transfer locations between bus/subway lines to get you where you need to go. Print schedules and maps ahead of time, and familiarize yourself with them. You might also want to bring a compass along with you if you are bad at orienting yourself, because you might walk in the wrong direction by accident (like I did in Cleveland at 6 am). Once you have a good route planned out, go ahead and book your flights and hotel, but keep in mind that buses and subways might not run at all times, so take this into consideration.

As far as traveling itself. I wore my whole suit on every flight to prevent excess wrinkling. Uncomfortable? You bet. I didn't have wrinkles though! Additionally, I didn't use a suitcase. Instead, I used my backpack (which is large, but not anything that looks odd when I wear to school every day!) and only packed the few things I would need for an overnight trip. If you plan properly and pack well, you can easily live out of a backpack for two days. The advantage to using a backpack is that you can take it with you on all the interviews without looking silly and toting a suitcase. These places are schools. Backpacks don't get a second look, and they do the job of a suitcase just as well!

So now you have all your luggage and traveling needs covered. Seriously, use public transport. It can get you where you need to go for cheap! When I interviewed at Nova, getting from the airport, to the school, and back was FREE! A cab would have probably cost about 30 bucks each way. My expenses for an interview (Including airfare, hotel, and transport) never went over $350, and I never flew less than 1500 miles.

Plan well, and you can save money and hassle!

Also, you get to have some fun stories, like being lost in Cleveland at 6 am until a nice bus driver tells you where the hell you need to go!

Most of the dental schools in the country are in fairly large cities, which is good for budget travelers because it means you can use public transport! This can save you a TON of money.

When you get an interview invite, the first thing to do is to look into what sort of public transportation is available. Some schools might provide you with a list of options, in my case I had to do most of the searching on my own. If you can, book a hotel that is close to a bus or subway route that covers the airport and the school. If you have to (this is most often the case) you can find transfer locations between bus/subway lines to get you where you need to go. Print schedules and maps ahead of time, and familiarize yourself with them. You might also want to bring a compass along with you if you are bad at orienting yourself, because you might walk in the wrong direction by accident (like I did in Cleveland at 6 am). Once you have a good route planned out, go ahead and book your flights and hotel, but keep in mind that buses and subways might not run at all times, so take this into consideration.

As far as traveling itself. I wore my whole suit on every flight to prevent excess wrinkling. Uncomfortable? You bet. I didn't have wrinkles though! Additionally, I didn't use a suitcase. Instead, I used my backpack (which is large, but not anything that looks odd when I wear to school every day!) and only packed the few things I would need for an overnight trip. If you plan properly and pack well, you can easily live out of a backpack for two days. The advantage to using a backpack is that you can take it with you on all the interviews without looking silly and toting a suitcase. These places are schools. Backpacks don't get a second look, and they do the job of a suitcase just as well!

So now you have all your luggage and traveling needs covered. Seriously, use public transport. It can get you where you need to go for cheap! When I interviewed at Nova, getting from the airport, to the school, and back was FREE! A cab would have probably cost about 30 bucks each way. My expenses for an interview (Including airfare, hotel, and transport) never went over $350, and I never flew less than 1500 miles.

Plan well, and you can save money and hassle!

Also, you get to have some fun stories, like being lost in Cleveland at 6 am until a nice bus driver tells you where the hell you need to go!

Or, stories about how your greyhound crashed in Pennsylvania at 4 am in in the morning because the stupid bus driver fell asleep! Yes, while on my way back from Tufts, I had to catch a greyhound because my flight was delayed and I had an exam the next day. Frikkin bus toppled over! :eek:

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2008/02/24/us-greyhound.html

What a day that was! Took my 45 hours to get back to Toronto.

my advice is to find co-ops/hostels to stay at while in each city.

I personally found that I could get my own room at a hostel for about 50-75$. I would have to share the bathroom, but I was up at 6am getting ready for the interview so I've never had a problem.

This was a good way to save money, considering how expensive the air fare/food are.

my advice is to find co-ops/hostels to stay at while in each city.

I personally found that I could get my own room at a hostel for about 50-75$. I would have to share the bathroom, but I was up at 6am getting ready for the interview so I've never had a problem.

This was a good way to save money, considering how expensive the air fare/food are.

I've never heard of hostels/co-ops. Will look into it. DId you get a rental car was public transit available near these hostels?

I used a travel bag called Skyroll to help me bring my suit smoothly. Most interviews last only one night and unless you want to stay there longer a one night stay is enough. At the admissions office they have always let me put my Skyroll at some secluded corner and at the end of the day I just come back and pick it up as I leave.

I just took the red eye in landed at 6am and took public transportation to my interviews. Then took the night flight out, saved me the cost of staying in a hotel. I just took a backpack and changed in the airport bathrooms. The next day after the interview I pretty much just slept the whole day, but it wasn't too bad.

Priceline.com was good for cheap hotels and car rentals. I got a mid-size car in Detroit for $25 per day. And don't do what I did and schedule you're departing flight for the next day, thinking you don't want to rush to the airport after the interview. If your flight leaves after 4PM, there shouldn't be any problems making it. Many schools asked if our flights left early and offered to let you cut things short if you needed.

i'm just hoping i actually get a chance to go through the "hassel" of getting flights and what not (you know with ALLL the interviews i'll be getting - haha). most of the schools i'lll prob be applying to are in the southeast (depending on DAT's) so i might even get to end up driving...what do you guys think about that. if its a 7-8 hr drive (which most around me are, or even less), is it even worth flying???

i'm just hoping i actually get a chance to go through the "hassel" of getting flights and what not (you know with ALLL the interviews i'll be getting - haha). most of the schools i'lll prob be applying to are in the southeast (depending on DAT's) so i might even get to end up driving...what do you guys think about that. if its a 7-8 hr drive (which most around me are, or even less), is it even worth flying???
Even with gas prices through the roof, I think it's still worthwhile to drive a lot of times. If you can find a ticket for $100, it's probably not worth driving 7-8 hrs though. Having your car for getting around whatever town you're in is an obvious plus. I flew enough this last cycle that I know I could never handle a job that requires much travelling. I'm so tired of airports and sitting on cramped planes.

Members don't see this ad :)
i drove 8 hours to one of my interviews. totally worth it. i'm a big guy so planes are not very fun for me. i think i spent $240 in gas. plane ticket was over $350.

i drove 8 hours to one of my interviews. totally worth it. i'm a big guy so planes are not very fun for me. i think i spent $240 in gas. plane ticket was over $350.

Seriously the best way to go. Thats what I am planning on doing.
If the driving is about 8 hours or less, IMO you can just interview and drive back. Will take like 20 hours to get back home though.

I just took the red eye in landed at 6am and took public transportation to my interviews. Then took the night flight out, saved me the cost of staying in a hotel. I just took a backpack and changed in the airport bathrooms. The next day after the interview I pretty much just slept the whole day, but it wasn't too bad.

exactly what i did too....except when i went to san Francisco i had to stay and enjoy that amazing city....

but def look into frat houses or students that will let u crash the night...

If the driving is about 8 hours or less, IMO you can just interview and drive back. Will take like 20 hours to get back home though.

i also did that for new york and philadelphia

yup. plus i was able to stay with relatives for the interview i drove to. too bad more of my interviews weren't closer. 3 of the 5 were a 30+ hour drive away. lol.

If you can, find a hotel that has a shuttle service to and from the airport. I also left my luggage at the hotel's front desk while I interviewed. I stayed within walking distance (about a half mile) from the school, but the hotels shuttle still took me to and from the school. Some hotels also have discount rates for students that are interviewing.

Hey, you're applying to MCG, right? My parents actually moved to GA about 2 years ago, but I remained in another state for school. Do you know if I could qualify as in-state if I am a dependent of my parents?

Hey, you're applying to MCG, right? My parents actually moved to GA about 2 years ago, but I remained in another state for school. Do you know if I could qualify as in-state if I am a dependent of my parents?
yup, as long as they paid taxes here and have been on lease for more than a year or own the property! i'm not sure EXACTLY how MCG does it (or how their rules set up), but i got instate tuition and i even got to keep my NC driver's liscence. that's how i plan on being a NC resident if i happen to get into UNC and not MCG (i have a GA DL now)

yup, as long as they paid taxes here and have been on lease for more than a year or own the property! i'm not sure EXACTLY how MCG does it (or how their rules set up), but i got instate tuition and i even got to keep my NC driver's liscence. that's how i plan on being a NC resident if i happen to get into UNC and not MCG (i have a GA DL now)

Yep! they own a house and have paid taxes in GA for two years now. MCG doesn't use AADSAS thought, right? i guess i'll have to make sure about applying as an in-state student.

i interviewed at 5 schools. i will just talk about what i did.

loma linda - my mom drove me and waited outside. the interview was only like 2 hours?

ucsf - booked plane tickets, car rental (at sfo), and hotel. my mom came with me and we went to the car rental place at sfo. took the car to hotel. we didnt know where to park.........lol. we just parked at a parking meter because you didnt need to pay from 5pm to 9am or something. luckily we could part there at night. then my mom drove me in the morning and she just drove around the city while i interviewed.

usc - i lived with a few friends that i knew there. they drove me in the morning. they were first years at usc.

unlv - i lived at a hotel and my sister drove me in the morning.

ucla - i lived at my sisters house and she drove me in the morning.

i am very thankful to my sister and mom. they saved me a lot of headache.

i interviewed at 5 schools. i will just talk about what i did.

loma linda - my mom drove me and waited outside. the interview was only like 2 hours?

ucsf - booked plane tickets, car rental (at sfo), and hotel. my mom came with me and we went to the car rental place at sfo. took the car to hotel. we didnt know where to park.........lol. we just parked at a parking meter because you didnt need to pay from 5pm to 9am or something. luckily we could part there at night. then my mom drove me in the morning and she just drove around the city while i interviewed.

usc - i lived with a few friends that i knew there. they drove me in the morning. they were first years at usc.

unlv - i lived at a hotel and my sister drove me in the morning.

ucla - i lived at my sisters house and she drove me in the morning.

i am very thankful to my sister and mom. they saved me a lot of headache.

aww...you're lucky that there are so many schools in your state! There is only one dental school in my state, so I'll probably have to travel alone by plane to various schools if I get interviews, so I can really do what you did. :(