Interviews - pushing MD/DPM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Marine1

Hoorah
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I had two decent interviews and at each interview I was asked about MD/DPM. Basically, I should consider it because of where I want to return to practice(rural community). Is this an option? Why would anyone consider this? DPM school is the same as an allopathic or osteopathic school, so why do it? And why would DPM's push this at an interview?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys. I had two decent interviews and at each interview I was asked about MD/DPM. Basically, I should consider it because of where I want to return to practice(rural community). Is this an option? Why would anyone consider this? DPM school is the same as an allopathic or osteopathic school, so why do it? And why would DPM's push this at an interview?

May be the just want to see what do you (or applicants) think of this. Since some schools are planning for a MD/DPM or DPM/DO pathways.

Most DPM schools are not parallel to MD/DO schools. There is a DO/DPM program offered in FL. I personally think that it is not necessary even in a rural setting. You will be busy as a DPM or DO. Why would anyone consider this, maybe b/c they like having lots of letters behind their name? :thumbup: I really cannot answer that. I don't know of a school that pushes an MD/DPM program, but if they do they are probably trying to impress you. Many times schools have programs or say things just to impress applicants; but the programs may not be worth it, and what they say may not be true.

FYI: I know of a few pods that have graduated from DMU that work in rural Iowa and do great. They are very busy and probably are more important to their health system than those in urban settings.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone please clear up for me what the difference between MD and DO are? AS far as i know in Canada we only have the MD programs at our med schools. What is the difference between the two programs in the states?

That sounds pretty weird. How can they push a degree that doesn't exist and probably never will? I would consider that flat out lying to an interview candidate. As Feelgood stated, there is one program that offers a DO/DPM degree in Florida (which is a whole other story).

Can someone please clear up for me what the difference between MD and DO are? AS far as i know in Canada we only have the MD programs at our med schools. What is the difference between the two programs in the states?

You may want to try asking this question in the Osteopathic (DO) forum. :thumbup:

There is whole big section of SDN dedicated to Pre-DO and DOs. you might wanna go and ask there. They will provide you with the most up to date information. And just as a caution, dont start the thread there as "Difference between MD & DO". :laugh:

I am only interested in DPM. But i was asking what the difference between the MD/DO is becuase of what marine1 was asked at his dpm interview.

I will start to browse the DO forum to figure out what the difference is.

EDIT: nm a simple google search has solved all :)