#interviews #ranked to ensure match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

woundvac

MALE M0DEL
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i know nbme posts this info, where the average is 8 on the ROL for matched applicants and 4 on the ROL for unmatched applicants. but just wondering if this true for general surgery, specifically. cause right now im assuming the harder the field, or the less spots available per residency, the longer your ROL has to be. anybody know matched applicants and how long their ROL was for general?

also, can you rank every program you interview at or do they have to give you permission after they interview you.

basically, i'm all about saving some loot. so how long should my ROL be to ensure 95% chance of matching?

appreciate all responses.

:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

This is not the time to save money. How much have you spent on college and med school, including the money you could have been making at some other job all these years you've been in med school???? Now, you want to gamble your residency matching potential by saving money?

There is no magic number and it depends a lot on how competetive the programs you're ranking are, how competetive you are, etc. I say make the longest list you can of places you'll be happy at to avoid the heartache of going unmatched because that can and does happen to people who make too short of a list.

Yes, you can rank everywhere you interview at, although you might discover on the interview that you don't want to rank one or two of the places you previously thought you'd like, so keep that in mind when deciding how many interviews to attend.

yeah you're right. no need to save $. its good to know i can rank everywhere i interview at if i want.

...but suppose you apply to 50 schools and 30 schools give you an interview, how many places would you interview at?