Interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clinpsychgirl

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know it's ridic early and that most interviews won't be offered until the 3rdish week of January through February... BUT

There have been posts in another forum about a person getting a phone interview (didn't specify which school) and another person being invited to interview at UConn (this one seemed a bit dubious- it was a friend of a friend sort of thing)

Here is the forum where the interview info was posted:
http://pub43.bravenet.com/forum/show.php?usernum=3692451787&cpv=2

(Scroll down to "Anyone got interview offer?" They are the January 3rd and January 4th posts by Anon.)

So- I just wanted to check with everyone on this post: Has anyone heard anything yet from any schools? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

according to the uconn site, clinical phd interviews are held the last week of february.

I haven't heard from any of the ten schools I've applied too. Most have emailed saying I wouldn't hear until after the 15th. I am going crazy waiting, but I know its just part of the process. I have heard of some students being offered interviews early in the past, but I haven't had this experience. I will post if I get any offers.

Members don't see this ad :)
PsychoEm said:
according to the uconn site, clinical phd interviews are held the last week of february.

Thanks for clarifying PsychoEm- Although I didn't personally apply to UConn, I thought that sounded shady.

It's possible that the friend of a friend got invited if one of the faculty was specifically looking for that application. That usually doesn't happen, though.

No replies from my 10 schools either.

If anyone hears this coming week, be sure to post! With that said- I think it will more likely be the week after next that interview offers will come in- we shall see!

Good luck everyone!

do interview offers typically come thru email? regular mail? or phone?

Depends on the school, but typically by phone. I'll reiterate what previous posters have said - it's early yet. Generally notifications for interviews are in late January-early February, with some schools even later. Good luck all in this most painful waiting process!

I have 3 offers.

... ha, did I scare you? Just kidding. I have none so far.

Hi all,

I got my first (phone) interview for Virginia Tech!!!!!!!

Note to others applying there: The professor that I wanted to work with contacted me via email and set up a phone interview with me later in the week. So, if you are waiting to hear, it seems to depend on your chosen professor.

Best of luck to EVERYONE!!!

Congratulations clinpsychgirl! I check my email at least 5 times a day in hopes of hearing some news on any of my schools. Its exciting to know some people are starting to hear. :)

psychgal said:
Congratulations clinpsychgirl! I check my email at least 5 times a day in hopes of hearing some news on any of my schools. Its exciting to know some people are starting to hear. :)

Thanks for the congrats! Best of luck to you psychgal- I know your offers will start to roll in! I hear you on the compulsive email checking- sometimes I wonder if I've developed some sort of applicant-induced OCD ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I just received word today to set up a telephone interview with my professor of interest at Ohio State, but that's all I've heard so far.

joetro said:
I just received word today to set up a telephone interview with my professor of interest at Ohio State, but that's all I've heard so far.

Wow! Congratulations to you as well. I hope I will hear something from the nine schools I've applied to soon. Ohio State is a great school from what I've heard. Its quite an accomplishment to get an interview there.

Well, I'm kind of not sure that it's an "interview." The e-mail message said "brief telephone conversation," but thanks for the support.

So I just completed my phone meeting/interview-esque type thing at Virginia Tech. It was nice- The faculty member just wanted to know a bit about the work I was doing and about the work I would be interested in doing in graduate school. Nothing too intense.

Although it seemed to go well, I was hoping that I would have been invited for a formal interview at the end of the conversation, which I wasnt :( The advisor did mention that we would be in touch, so maybe it wasn't that catostrophic (I hope)???

Joetro, what was your experience with the phone "meeting"? Were you invited to formally interview at the end? How about other folks? What were your experiences?

Thanks and good luck to all!

I received an email early in December (app deadline was Dec.1) from a professor with whom I want to work and we set up a time to talk over the phone. The "phone interview" only lasted about 10 minutes. The professor asked me a little bit about my research and told me about the projects she'll be starting in the next few years. At the end of the interview she asked me to visit the school for a formal interview. She mentioned that it was unusually early but that her school wants to be one of the first to offer interviews... So it sounds like a lot of schools just take a little longer to contact applicants.
Don't worry Clinpsychgirl. I would wait a couple more weeks to hear from the professor or the school.

Thanks for the info. We'll see what happens I suppose. You are right- it is still very early. Which school contacted you? Good luck with your formal interview!

I completely know how you all are feeling ( I was there last year). I started getting contacted for interviews around mid-late January, and even some in early February!
I remember from last year that UConn was notoriously slow in contacting people....it took them like 2 weeks to get through asking everyone to interview!
Typically they will call and will sometimes follow up with emails regarding specific information for the interview weekend, etc.
Sometimes it is the professor who will call and other times it is the head of the department who will call.

thank you so much twiggers for that information, it calmed me down a little!

I have my phone interview tomorrow. An alumnus of my college is currently at Ohio State, and she said she had a phone interview with her professor shortly before the real interview, so I think that's how they do it. I had one phone interview in November after I contacted a prospective professor, and the questions were not too hard - just to make sure I was on the right track for what they were looking for, basicially.

I haven't heard anything else from the other 10 places. I'll post tomorrow about the telelphone thing.

No problem psychoEm :) I remember having the same stressful feelings last year at this time!

Good luck Joetro! Let us know how it goes!

Twiggers, thanks for all of the insightful posts. I've read through your posts from the last application year and it has been extremely helpful!

Best of luck to everyone! :)

PsychoEm said:

i am currently an undergrad at uconn as a psychology major and i can tell you the school is very research oriented. the clinical experience i had as an undergrad was extremely limited. of course i know it's a ph.d program and very good, i just think other areas are better represented by uconn.

i wouldn't recommend uconn if you are going for a master's there in clinical.

My Ohio State phone "interview" was a little different than what I was expecting; it was more a chance for that professor to sell himself and OSU to me rather than vice-versa. He asked about research background, interests, and then gave me a chance to ask questions. He also mentioned that there admissions process is about a month accelerated from other programs; interviews in early February and offers by mid/late February. We talked for about 45 minutes or so.

Yay!!!:) Invited to VCU interview on Feb 10th

Note to others, I got a call from my professor of interest.

good job!!
I havent received any calls yet :(
half of my applications were due jan 1 and half due jan 15, so ima give it some more time

what time during the day or night do they/did they call?

clinpsychgirl said:
Yay!!!:) Invited to VCU interview on Feb 10th

Note to others, I got a call from my professor of interest.

Could you tell us your professor of interest? Or whether this is the clinical Ph.D. or counseling Ph.D program? Thanks and good luck!

I have an invitation to the Ohio State interview, although I'm unsure yet of the day. That should be confirmed tomorrow, and I'll post. I think it's February 3.

Thanks for the congrats everyone- I am VERY excited:)!!!

I was originally called on Monday evening, after 5pm. We caught up during normal business hours on Tuesday.

I am interviewing for the PhD program in clinical psychology. There's an informal graduate student social event on the evening of February 9th and the formal interviews are all day (8-5pm) on February 10th. This includes tours, general information sessions, and several faculty and student interviews.

If you want more details, feel free to PM me.

clinpsychgirl said:
Thanks for the congrats everyone- I am VERY excited:)!!!

I was originally called on Monday evening, after 5pm. We caught up during normal business hours on Tuesday.

I am interviewing for the PhD program in clinical psychology. There's an informal graduate student social event on the evening of February 9th and the formal interviews are all day (8-5pm) on February 10th. This includes tours, general information sessions, and several faculty and student interviews.

If you want more details, feel free to PM me.

Congratulations! It looks like you're doing very well. Good luck with the interview (and the others to come)!

Good for you, psychgirl.

My interview at Ohio State is all day February 3, including a party with graduate students. Nothing planned the day before.

joetro said:
Good for you, psychgirl.

My interview at Ohio State is all day February 3, including a party with graduate students. Nothing planned the day before.

Congrats, joetro! Keep the news coming everyone!

Duke just called me this afternoon - I have an interview there Feb. 3 (alternate date of Feb. 6th).

I also got the call from Duke today -- I picked Feb. 6th.

Has anyone heard from Temple yet? I got an email from the prof I'm applying to work with a couple of weeks ago saying that I should expect an invite, but I haven't heard anything yet. They seem to be a little behind schedule...

Thanks for the well wishes everyone! And congrats Konrad, Nosleep, and Joetro:)

So I heard from BU this evening- and have my interview scheduled for the 17th of Feb!:)

Konrad, I was wondering the same about Temple. I went ahead and wrote Dr. Fauber a brief note today re: interviews and didn't get a response.

If everyone could let other clinical psych applicants they know about this website, and tell them to post when they get notified about interviews, that would be great. That way, there will be more than 10 people or so posting and we will all be more likely to find out about the places we applied. Cheers!

joetro said:
Good for you, psychgirl.

joetro, i interviewed at OSU last year. be ready for an intense day. we were there from 9:00 to 6:00, then went straight out to dinner, and right to the party. interviewed with three professors and two grad students. i have never been so mentally exhausted.

Thanks for the advice. Any tips on the interview there? How to do well? How many professors did you interview with? Any breaks?

It does seem like a busy day ... it starts at 8:30 with a breakfast. I was like, um that's a little early. On the other hand, it's nice that there isn't anything on Thursday, as I can get there later.

Oops ... now I see you interviewed with three professors. What did the grad students ask?

congratulations everyone - very exciting! the ball is rolling...

for any clinically-oriented applicants out there, i have heard only from one school, Widener University (by mail) - interview date is February 1

joetro said:
Oops ... now I see you interviewed with three professors. What did the grad students ask?

yeah, no breaks. a break for lunch but that wasn't even really a break because i think grad students and/or faculty were there during lunch. the grad students mostly asked about my interests, why i wanted to go to osu, why i wanted to work with the professor i was applying to work with, etc. nothing overly surprising. be ready to ask them a lot of questions.

Hey guys,

I wanted to pass this along to all of the Templites out there:

As far as I know, there has been no "official" word yet from Temple. But unoffical word (from the Chair of the clinical admissions committee) says interviewees should start to hear today! Good luck all!

I have only heard from one school so far, Penn State. Interview on February 10th!

konrad said:
I also got the call from Duke today -- I picked Feb. 6th.

Has anyone heard from Temple yet? I got an email from the prof I'm applying to work with a couple of weeks ago saying that I should expect an invite, but I haven't heard anything yet. They seem to be a little behind schedule...

I received an email from a prof at Temple yesterday saying that Interview invitations will go out late this week (and next).

Have only recieved one interview from UConn so far (Feb 8th), hopin more to come

of those who have received interview invites, when were your applications due? Im getting worried here!!