Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sorg1123

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that all my applications are out I can finally sit back and relax, for a bit. I'm now thinking about the next step: interviews. What questions should I be prepared to answer and how best can I prepare myself to ace the interviews? Can anyone share his or her interview experiences, good or bad?

Members don't see this ad.

I have read that they can sometimes be brutal (asking why you think you are qualified or something like that, basically grilling you) to see how you work in a stressful situation. I really hope I don't face those and I hope none of my top-choice schools do that because honestly that could turn me off from a school. I think I would do fine but I really don't want to go through that.

Good topic - i'd also like to get some tips. I'm applying to Psy.D. programs, so if anybody has information specific to that - I would appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope people who've been through the interview process answer in. I got my first invite for January. I think I will review the questions mentioned in the Clinical/Counseling Psychology book of APA accredited programs, but I want some more resources and examples from people who've been through the interview process.

Most of my interviews were very positive experiences, and there were no "hard" or tricky questions. Be prepared to discuss your research interests in detail, as well as any projects you are currently working on, and to talk about how all that will fit in with what your potential advisor is working on. Be prepared to ask a LOT of questions. I had one interview where the entire thing was a prof asking, "So, what can I tell you?" over and over again as I asked questions which he answered. He never asked me a single question (besides that) but was obviously getting a feel for me based on what I was asking. Having questions to ask is as important (if not more important) than having answers to questions.

Primarily, be personable. Smile. Act like a person that would not be excruciating to be around on a daily basis for the next five years. They have already decided that you're smart enough-- now they're trying to decide whether or not you're tolerable.

I agree very much with the last comment. Except for once, I never felt awkward or like I was being grilled. The interviews felt very conversational and were often either very short or felt like it. I got a couple of really random projective questions, and one bad political question, but nothing else really bad.

I would also stress that the process is as much for you to learn about them as vice-versa. So be sure to ask questions.

Oh, I definitely answered the question point-blank. I was pretty sure beforehand that we weren't compatible, and the question confirmed that for me.

I interviewed a few years ago while a senior in undergrad. The interviews I had were very personal and I remember being asked a number of questions that I wasn't quite sure how to answer. Looking back, I believe this was because the programs were quite heavily psychodynamic.

I'm looking forward to (hopefully) the second-time-around interviews! My interests have changed and subsequently so have the programs I am applying to; it will be interesting to see how these interviews compare, if I am so fortunate to be granted some.

Keeping my fingers crossed for myself & everyone else on here.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

*Ella:)

I am on my way out and don't have time to get into it right now, but Rutgers Psy.D program has a painful group based interview process. If anyone has gone through it, or knows someone who has, you should share your experience. Unless they changed it drastically, which could be since my experience goes back a few years.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions and information to those who responded. I'm going to prepare as many questions as I can to ask (making sure of course that they won't be questions that are already on the website...).

I just really want interview invites at this point...and the sad thing is I still haven't gotten all my apps out the door. On that note, back to work...Jan 1 is coming!

Got my first interview invite.. horray! I didn't expect to hear from schools until after the holidays. T'was a quick phone call. I was asked how much of my career would be academic and how much would be clinical, why I chose their program, describe my current position/research and my research interests. Also, I was asked how I selected the other schools I applied to. Nothing out of the ordinary I suppose.