interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

digimon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
just wanted to start a separate thread on interviews. i submitted my eras application with 3-4 lor's, both steps, and my paper apps during the first week in september. i have yet to hear from any radiation onc programs, but have gotten 1 prelim invite from johns hopkins/sinai via email. from what i can tell from adts, most of the programs i've applied to have downloaded my app. friend's i've talked to say most invites will be sent mid-october to november. has anyone else heard anything? good luck all...

Members don't see this ad.

No action here yet either. Altho, Im not quite as on the ball as you. I got eras submitted a little over a week ago and I only have 2 LORs in so far. Still, tho, lots of downloading and I haven't heard anything yet. I hope I get at least a nibble soon. I think Ill feel alot better then.

Ann

Ok guys, just to reassure you a little, since I went through
this last year. Don't plan on getting interviews this early.
Peds, int med, fam med and such get early interviews, but
they have to interview lots of people. Lets face it, in rad onc,
if the programs are only going to interview 10-30 people, they
are under no real rush. They wait until they get Dean's letters
and everybody has applied. Then they figure out who they are
going to interview. They are going to have about three days
in which they interview 5-10 people. It is more efficient this
way. Last year, when I applied, the earliest interview I got
was at the end of Novemeber and most were in January.
I damn near got ulcers waiting for interviews early, because
my stuff was in and I wasn't hearing from anyone. Come
December, I was damn near hysterics. Then the interview
offers started coming. I eventually matched. Don't fret, be
patient, enjoy your fourth year, everything will work out.
:)

Members don't see this ad :)
alright. so i'm doing an away rotation this month and come to find out that most all of the senior attendings and the chief resident in the department are headed to NO, LA next week for the annual ASTRO meeting. I figure that most program directors and chairpersons are attending this big party--many of whom have prepared big talks or poster presentations. So, it only makes sense that these guys wouldn't wanna bother with apps until after the conference. At least this is how i'm rationalizing my lack of feedback despite the downloaded status....
any lucky ones with a radonc interview yet?

I like your theory. Makes sense to me. I have heard from everyone Ive asked that this is too early. Of course, Ill start stressing about it immediatly if I hear of other people getting interviews. So far tho, nothing here, nor have I heard of anyone else getting anything.

I think it would also make sense that they would want to wait until the Dean's letter came out.

how do you guys know if they have downloaded your applications? what is adts? pray tell!

adts is the applicant document tracking system and it is used to what you have uploaded and to see if they have been downloaded.

most interviews come in november and even december.

i interviewed at 12 programs (got 12+) and didnt match last year so i am re-applying this year. its just how it goes---spyder got 8, went to 4 and matched. kind of the luck of the draw.

anyways, i have a couple already, but thats because some of the schools that wanted me last year have emailed me about interviews. it kinda sucks that schools interview up to 35 people for 1 spot...those numbers are against us applicants.

good luck to all

Hi. I just found this forum and thought I'd share my 2 cents. Some words of encouragement - I matched this year in rad/onc and I am not AOA or a PhD and have no medical research whatsoever. (I do have some other non-related research). I applied at quite a few programs, got 17-18 interviews, and went to 13. Why did I match? I have no idea. I was so nervous all of 4th year because I had no backup plan, but in retrospect perhaps I should have. I actually matched at a program where I had my worst interview - and it was bad! I never heard anything from the programs after the interview day, although I know several who people who did (and then did not match at those programs - go figure). The whole process seemed pretty random to me, because I got interviews at some really good places and then was rejected by other, sometimes lesser known, programs. I think there are some really good applicants out there who didn't match - maybe for personality reasons??

I would just go to as many interviews as you can and try not to be *too* picky about geography. You have to realize that while people going into FP or IM may get to pick their location, you may not, unfortunately. Also, if you are worried about not matching, seriously think about whether you would want to take a year off to better your application via research or something. It may be difficult if you match into just a prelim year (you could do early elective rotations at rad/onc programs if they let you).

I think that does it - good luck everyone-

Let me concurr on one important point here- I've seen people with star CVs get punted down to the dregs of a match list because of their behavior at interview. New for all interviewees: you are not outstanding among the people you are interviewing with-they are all good. Act arrogent, entitled or unfriendly and it wont go unnoticed. Program directors and chairs want people who will work well and work well with others for four long years. Your friendly outgoing and colleague supportive behavior will go far at interview. I could tell you stories of really foolish behavior; what you think is subtle and sly to cull favor can back fire; one woman made a point of trying to sabotage another applicant by wishing him good luck at another program's interview, noting "I know you really want to get in there" whenever a member of our program was in hearing range. Another applicant pimped me at his interview. Pimping juniors makes you look like an insecure bully but pimping your seniors is just plain stupid. He's not at our program now. Remember, your personality will count-for or against you as you determine. Good luck.

3 so far, middle tier programs
a lot earlier than last year, im somewhat surprised

3 for me, as well. here are the programs that i know of so far that have offered interviews:

UAB
UWisc-madison
UChicago
Vanderbilt
UC-Irvine
LUMC

any others? i haven't gotten any rejections yet...but i don't know that programs do this....anyone know? i hope programs have the courtesy of letting us know if we're no longer under consideration.

well, let's keep it real folks! i'm sure we'll continue to hear some more news after nov 1.

bona fortuna

-digimon

If you get rejected, they generally do send you a letter. Occasionally something might slip through the cracks, but by and large they will send out rejections as well as acceptances.

I got 3 so for also. Add the NCI program to that list.

Also, I got a rejection e-mail from UChicago. My only rejection to date...so maybe as they're sending interview offers, they do rejections??

Good luck!

To date I have heard from the following:
1) Vandy
2) UMich
3) UWisc-Mad
4) UChicago
5) ULouisville
6) UAB

I heard Loyola is also sending offers as well.

Hope this helps!

Lets keep our chins up, and hope we hear from more programs soon.

Best Wishes,

Buckaroo

lumc is Loyola Univ. Medical Center in Maywood, IL

Add:
1) WashU
2) Mt. Sinai NYC

Please keep the info flowing...

Best,

Buckaroo:clap:

1) Fox Chase
2) MD Anderson

Hope you are hearing the good word....

Regards,

Buckaroo

Hey... I just found this website. I have been scared ****less about this crazy match process. I applied in September and have yet to get an interview. Although, I do know of a MudPhud who is interviewing at Vanderbilt and another interviewing at NCI. I have been bracing myself for not matching this year. Any tips on how to go about getting a research year in Rad Onc?? My school does not even have a residency program in the field!!

Or should I just give up and settle for IM?

:confused: