Interviews!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medstudentquest

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your question is hard to answer. You may get 0 you may get too many to go to. I had friends match with 3 interviews and had friends who got over 13 interviews. It just depends. If u want facts go to the published data by the aamc that tells u stats like board scores, aoa status, etc.

Question-what realistically is the average number of interviews that someone applying for derm gets?

I have a colleague who was applying for a different specialty and said that he already got 9 interviews. I could not imagine that most people in derm would get that many-so wondering what the average is?

Also I looked at the "successfully matched" applicants and it shows that there were some people who matched with scores between 180's to 200's. How does that happen?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been told anecdotally 6-8 interviews for a decent shot. Personally would be ecstatic with 10 offers. The students at my school who matched last year both finished with <5 interviews. I believe the average applicant who did match last year had a rank list of 8 programs (so 8 interviews) according to the NRMP match data.

Regarding the people with boards < 200, I would assume they had a PhD, inside connections, compromising photos of the PD, or some other ace up their sleeve.

Re; low board scores. Obviously in the minority... I don't see the point in wondering honestly...

Right, I know it varies and that there is no magic number, but they say that for a less competitive specialty, if you get 10 interviews to rank, you are likely to get in. I would simply imagine for derm most people don't get a great deal. I am also seriously curious about those people who get in with boards of less than 200.