Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
B

BlackPuma

just want to vent my anger out against the interview process...

I know I know, they wanna know and get to know the real you and see that u arent a nerd.....I guess Lots of us want this to be the factor to help get us in medical school...

but I am just so pissed, because it seems like we have to prove our worth to other pple....it seems kind of like we are pleading for a position in their university...

"so why should we accept you.....why do you want to come to our prestigiuos school..."

kind of defeats the whole modesty attitude we are supposed to have....ARGh....I know I know...first I have to have a couple and then start complaining about them :)

I never had that nature of proving myself to other pple.....and the idea sounds rather sick....I can't help think all tall goodlooking pple who are just born beautiful and articulate are going to get the top positions.....so u know I aint tall, but I am slightly above average looking ;)....

i hate it when this is a factor....sux :(

Members don't see this ad.

not true....I know several ugly people that have been accepted by top med schools.

(dont jump on me, i'm not really serious but just trying to disprove the "looks make-or-break" theory) :)

Members don't see this ad :)
that was funny....no looks wasnt the issue ofo the post...

my arguement was, why should we prove out worth to each and every school we apply to?

sux :(

Another question:

Why should we need to continually justify why we want to become doctors? Do we ask garbage men why they want to become garbage men? It's a damn job and I think I will be damn good at it!

I too am sick of this whole BS process. It's like we have to jump through all these hoops just to join this exclusive club.

Originally posted by moo:
•Another question:

Why should we need to continually justify why we want to become doctors? Do we ask garbage men why they want to become garbage men? It's a damn job and I think I will be damn good at it!

I too am sick of this whole BS process. It's like we have to jump through all these hoops just to join this exclusive club.•

During my internship/residency interviews last year, I actually got asked why I became a physician. :rolleyes:

u tell em moo

I hate the idea that we have to keep proving ourselves....its dumb...I mean the MCAT, AMCAS havent we suffered enough please!!!

and how much do the answers really vary!!!

I wanna help pple blah blah blah....SIGH if we didnt, why would we be in this profession anyway?

I feel like I have no idea how to answer secondary questions any more...because I have explained so many times leadership work/ independent study/ qualities that would make me a good physician/ qualities of the medical school that I like/ how I would increase the diversity of the school... that they are all running together. Anyone else feel this way?

And I have 12 secondaries to go! I was so proud of myself for finishing ten last night, until I thought about that. :)

finishing ten secondaries last night as in ten total, over the course of like a month. I just read what I wrote and it was ambiguous :)

I don't think secondary essays matter much...who is with me on this?
I think they matter maybe 1%...it's numbers and maybe your AMCAS essay. Who agrees or disagrees with me on this one?

I don't think a great secondary essay has any bearing on getting you in. A sloppy one will keep you out. They want to see some effort so it shows you aren't just checking them off on the AMCAS app. This, however,is merely my opinion. I could be wrong.

i knew a guy who got an interview at duke even though his numbers were significantly below their averages--he was actually told at the interview that yes, his numbers were pretty low for duke but they liked his essays and chose to interview him despite his numbers. i knew other people with similar situations.

so i really wouldn't underestimate the power of essays. high numbers will help you get your foot in the door, but essays can tip the scales in your favor.

I just want everyone to know that I have officially started studying for the LSAT....

Yes I have lost hope in the system...

laterz dude