Intimidated by nurses

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by failedatlife, Aug 10, 2017.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lyoness

Lyoness 2+ Year Member

Dec 4, 2014
    Well you stated you're not seeing any "fat" guys snatching "10's" but we're talking about things men can't help such as height and face etc.

Part of being attractive is you gotta respect your body and take care of it (so eating healthy and working out) which ties back to what I was saying earlier about self-respect. As for being bald, hey some women like that (especially with a beard). And entry level job is no problem just as long as we know you're working towards your fullest potential and don't plan on being entry level forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cellsaver likes this.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. CommyO

CommyO Account on Hold Account on Hold

Nov 23, 2016
    Wrong. Unconsciously, you want a taller guy and you know it.
    You say it's a "plus" but that "plus" is more than likely decisive if you'd date him or not. How many ex-bfs (if any) were shorter than you? Don't lie, because I'll know.

The 3/10 guys you mentioned have successfully mastered the mind game and would be consider self-actualized

W19 likes this.
  4. vernhart

vernhart 2+ Year Member

Oct 21, 2013
    yep it's their pe..................rsonality lol

5. 12glaucoma34

12glaucoma34 Banned Banned Account on Hold

Aug 1, 2017
    I can totally relate. I've had rotations where I thought to myself, "is it required to be a 10/10 to be a nurse on this unit?" Even the patient care techs were 10s.

6. 12glaucoma34

Aug 1, 2017
    Just because seeing an attractive nurse makes you lose focus doesn't mean you think of them as sex objects. Many students are intimated by their attending, does that mean they are sex objects too?

7. jcorpsmanMD

jcorpsmanMD

Feb 22, 2017
    Republic of Texas
    It all makes sense now..

AnatomyGrey12 likes this.
  8. WheezyBaby

WheezyBaby RSV Fomite

Jun 9, 2016
    Physician
    Yes

9. 12glaucoma34

Aug 1, 2017
    LOLZZZZ

Wasn't sure, thanks for clearing that up.

10. 12glaucoma34

Aug 1, 2017
    Good

11. cj_cregg

cj_cregg 2+ Year Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Only if they're intimidated by their attending because of the subjective rating out of 10 they assigned him/her based on their attractiveness...

xffan624 likes this.
  12. hurtem&healem

hurtem&healem 2+ Year Member

IME, attractiveness and niceness of nurses is directly proportional. It's the ones who are unhappy with themselves who take out their frustration on everyone around them.

Of course, I have ~9/10 rugged good looks myself so ymmv.

13. NotYou20

NotYou20 2+ Year Member

Dec 23, 2012
    Get off the misc

Pompacil likes this.
  14. xffan624

xffan624 2+ Year Member

Jan 6, 2013
    He missed his calling as an engineer.

15. 12glaucoma34

Aug 1, 2017
    By definition, rating an individual's attractiveness is subjective. The body type I believe to be 10/10 doesn't meet the 6' 3" anorexic super model type from Hollywood.

16. Matthew9Thirtyfive

Matthew9Thirtyfive Foxy.

Jan 10, 2016
    I totally agree with you, but I have seen a real 10/10 living a normal, working life. And I don't get intimidated by women at all, nor do I objectify them, but I just had to stop for a second because I had never seen a woman that attractive IRL lol.

Winged Scapula and 12glaucoma34 like this.
  17. Lyoness

Lyoness 2+ Year Member

Dec 4, 2014
    Yeah very classy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. ranvier

ranvier I can't anesthetize a rumor. 10+ Year Member

Jul 17, 2006
    A case of hospital goggles.

*Edit* Lol, I now see the incomparable winged scapula already posted this.

Winged Scapula likes this.
  19. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic! Staff Member Lifetime Donor SDN Chief Administrator 10+ Year Member

Apr 9, 2000
    Physician
    Faculty
    hSDN Member
    Of course there are exceptions but I find it hard to believe that the OP is encountering 10/10 beautiful women frequently during his day. as you note, it's pretty rare.

20. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic! Staff Member Lifetime Donor SDN Chief Administrator 10+ Year Member

Apr 9, 2000
    Physician
    Faculty
    hSDN Member
    Maybe some of us are LOL ;)

21. 12glaucoma34

Aug 1, 2017
    Good point, they are not mutually exclusive.

22. Matthew9Thirtyfive

Matthew9Thirtyfive Foxy.

Jan 10, 2016
    Yeah, like I said I agree with your post. I only mentioned that because while 10s are almost universally not just regular people, it occasionally happens. Not likely that he's working in a hospital full of 10s though.

23. cj_cregg

cj_cregg 2+ Year Member

Jul 25, 2014
    .....which is why I used the word "subjective." It's also not appropriate in a professional setting. Or any other setting, IMO, but that's a bit off the topic.

24. Mad Jack

Mad Jack Critically Caring Gold Donor 2+ Year Member

Jul 27, 2013
    4th Dimension
    Maybe he just has low standards for everyone but himself

25. Mad Jack

Jul 27, 2013
    4th Dimension
    All humans either subconsciously or otherwise rate the looks of those around them. We can't help it, it's the way we're wired. You may not assign them a number, but they're getting that Halo Effect all the same.

26. cj_cregg

cj_cregg 2+ Year Member

Jul 25, 2014
    There's a huge difference between subconsciously or consciously thinking that someone is attractive, and purposefully rating a professional colleague on a scale out of 10 and allowing that number to shape your interactions with them at work, particularly to the point that OP is "afraid it is going to compromise patient care." I'm also reading this post in the context of OP's previous posts which I think many would agree display some problematic attitudes about women. I don't care if OP thinks some nurse is cute, I'm concerned about the tone of disrespect towards women that underpins their comments in various threads I've seen over time. And quite frankly, I see this attitude on SDN far more often than I'd like to.

27. CommyO

CommyO Account on Hold Account on Hold

Nov 23, 2016
    @Winged Scapula
    I agree with your point about nurses. I mean you can't really check out any women in a hospital setting anyways because they're all wearing scrubs or whatever loose fitting uniform.

To assign a woman a 10/10 rating would require a full body evaluation in various settings and times

28. CherryRedDracul

CherryRedDracul 2 Chainz Muscular Dystrophy 2+ Year Member

Oct 12, 2012
    North America
    Physician
    OP, the difference between being a Timothy and being a Chad is 100% mental. (srs)

29. MedicineZ0Z

MedicineZ0Z

Oct 5, 2015
    You don't even need a good job, just be a Chad with the 10/10 face and you're golden. Height doesn't matter nearly as much. (I'm actually being serious)
    Not sure if this is a troll post. A 3/10 guy would be incredibly ugly and a 10/10 woman would be 1 in several thousand attractive. Nonetheless, the hot girl ugly guy thing basically never happens. Even a 2 point difference is incredibly rare. Almost every couple in the west is equal in looks, even when money is involved the gap isn't that big...
    yea..no. Women prefer confidence over looks because the woman herself is very average looking and she's picking the guy with the best personality out of a bunch of (surprise) average looking guys. I've yet to know a single good looking girl who doesn't place a huge emphasis on the guy's face. As long as you have average social skills & confidence, you're golden.

30. MedicineZ0Z

MedicineZ0Z

Oct 5, 2015
    It's not height or confidence. It's OP's face that almost entirely determines his dating prospects. His confidence is a byproduct of his success with women. Assuming the likely scenario that OP has had average social skills, he would have gained (or lost) confidence based on success or lack of with women.

The smart thing to do is to go for women in your own league - someone equally as good looking as you. Height, body, career, money, status, confidence etc. mean very little in comparison to a guy's facial aesthetics. (And the endless examples of average looking girls stating looks arent #1 to them doesnt mean a thing)

31. IslandStyle808

IslandStyle808 Akuma residency or bust! 5+ Year Member

Aug 5, 2012
    Reminded me of episode of Oprah long ago when they did a survey of women and who they would date. They had three pictures of men of various looks 1. hot 2. normal 3. ugly (don't mean to offend keeping it simple). When given no information they obviously picked based on looks. When they gave an arbitrary salary that each of these people make, with the hottest guy making the lowest and the ugly guy making the highest, the popularity vote totally changed. And surprisingly enough the guy that ugly had the highest ranking and the hottest guy had the lowest.

Not saying that wealth is the number one factor but what I am saying is do not disregard height, money, status, body etc. They play a larger role in the dating game than you think...

32. Mad Jack

Jul 27, 2013
    4th Dimension
    He's intimidated by high numbers though. He's a low number guy. Big guys probably intimidate him too.
    [​IMG]

33. cellsaver

cellsaver

Dec 26, 2016
    Internet Trolls Are Narcissists, Psychopaths, and Sadists
    Trolls will lie, exaggerate, and offend to get a response

Many of us are surprised you put up with Failedatlife's obvious trolling.
    But I suppose it is entertaining even if we are laughing at OP expense. That doesnt seem quite right

I would prefer comments on the medical student forums be more academic and applicable to our situation but...it seems many of them are just rants and puff ball questions... should I buy a Mac vs Windows? should I buy a sports car? SMH

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    Crayola227 and Goro like this.
  34. NeuroSpeed

NeuroSpeed Big Schwartz Bronze Donor 2+ Year Member

Oct 4, 2012
    @ the computer
    Physician
    I mean, there are people that work with you everyday, right? ;)

Matthew9Thirtyfive likes this.
  35. Winged Scapula

Apr 9, 2000
    Physician
    Faculty
    hSDN Member
    Surprised but not enough to report and provide evidence of trolling?

Look we don't just ban people because we feel like it; maybe he's trolling maybe he's just being annoying. I don't know and prefer to give benefit of doubt where I can.

36. MedicineZ0Z

MedicineZ0Z

Oct 5, 2015
    Of course they all play a role, life is dynamic and certainly not linear. But the only place to see actual proof of what counts is in the real world. You can look among your peers, colleagues, the bar, shopping mall, gym, scroll through instagram and virtually everyone is equal in looks. There's always the one odd exception but that isn't the rule. Its like carribean MD students who match into competitive fields. Certainly happens... but rarely.

As far as the money argument, I've lived in an upper class neighborhood mostly and known endless drs/lawyers/businessmen etc. You can make a judgement on how important money is by looking at their partners.

As long as you make average money, aren't too short or fat, can hold a half decent convo... then your face is largely what matters.

37. Goro

Goro 7+ Year Member

Here's the citation:
    Trolls just want to have fun - ScienceDirect

mistafab likes this.
  38. jw3600

jw3600 Probationary Status 2+ Year Member

Jan 7, 2013
    When you look around your gym, bar, and mall everyone is equal in looks? Are you being deliberately obtuse?

39. MedicineZ0Z

MedicineZ0Z

Oct 5, 2015
    In context, that means almost all couples are looksmatched. The guy and the girl are more or less equally attractive as each other (and height/body are small factors in that attractiveness).

I find it hard to believe that in 2017, society isn't willing to admit that facial aesthetics is the (obvious) most important factor in dating for men (not saying other factors don't matter either).

40. vernhart

vernhart 2+ Year Member

Oct 21, 2013
    it was a joke, lighten up...bet you're fun at parties

41. jw3600

jw3600 Probationary Status 2+ Year Member

Jan 7, 2013
    ....take a break from the internet. I'm actually unsure if I'm talking to someone with a normally developed brain.

Entadus likes this.
  42. IslandStyle808

IslandStyle808 Akuma residency or bust! 5+ Year Member

Aug 5, 2012
    Yes, there are social experiments that I have seen where if all that is shown is the partner and nothing else, then the will go with the partner that suits them in looks. Some will aim slightly higher or settle for something lower.

However, that is if you take everything away. If you add in wealth, personality, height, weight, etc. Then you'd be surprised at how less similar in 'beauty' each partner is with those other factors in play. This is what I'm trying to get at.

Crayola227 likes this.
  43. MedicineZ0Z

MedicineZ0Z

Oct 5, 2015
    lolwat

The problem with your statement is that when two people meet, they decide right away whether or not they are sexually attracted to the other person (real life vs. studies). No one walks around with a sign saying they make X$, or have Y job etc. If you're attractive facially to the other side, then your personality and career trajectory and so on will be factored in. Hence you are seen as more attractive (or less).
    That means someone good looking who has a crap personality can easily be rejected. However it doesn't really go the other way because an attractive girl won't settle for someone when she has endless better options. The type of girls OP is referring to get a ridiculous number of offers/approaches from male model tier guys who in many cases also have great personalities and decent jobs.

I mean would you really want to be with someone who doesn't find you physically appealing anyway?

44. mistafab

mistafab

Oct 20, 2015
    Thank goodness i'm not single - this thread gives me the creeps!:vomit:

45. Winged Scapula

Apr 9, 2000
    Physician
    Faculty
    hSDN Member
    When the thread has devolved into insulting each other, its time to close.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.