Int'l student applying - advice pls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bsnmed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an intl student from a top 5 US undergraduate institution applying to med school this year. My stats are average -> 3.5/31. I realize my chances of getting in are not so high, and I was wondering whether ppl had suggestions for safety schools. I'm asking this because I now realize I applied to too many top schools and I have already been rejected from 4 (no interview invites and my apps have been complete for approximately one month). Many "safety schools" also don't accept intl students. :( If I don't get in, I have made alternate plans though.

Members don't see this ad.

There is no such thing as a safety school, not even for an American with above average scores. Best of luck.

i applied last year and didnt get in.. im an intl from a top liberal arts college (not top 10 though) with stats similar to yours. i did have interviews though. im reapplying this year. my suggestion is to apply to schools in the state where u are going to college and apply to every mid tier school that accepts intl students. good luck this cycle..

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for your response, jamaican doc. if you don't mind sharing, did you stay in the US when reapplying or did you go back home for a year? i'm thinking of working for a year in the US if i don't get in this cycle. i could also go back home and do volunteer work/find a job, but that might be difficult since my nation is in the midst of a civil war.

thanks for your response, jamaican doc. if you don't mind sharing, did you stay in the US when reapplying or did you go back home for a year? i'm thinking of working for a year in the US if i don't get in this cycle. i could also go back home and do volunteer work/find a job, but that might be difficult since my nation is in the midst of a civil war.

Do a search for my previous posts. All your questions will be answered. The major thing is wether or not you are on F1 visa vs green card.
Thats going toi affect your ability to secure funding to pay for school.
Getting in is the least of your worries if you are an F1 student.

Dont go home. if you dont get accepted, you wont be able to get back in the country (violation of F1 status) and will have to go through the re-application cycle from your home country and that will be markedly more stressfull.
If you have agreen card, then technically, you are not counted as being international, in which case, you should qualify for your state school.