Into the fire.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaPhamT

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so here's my skinny: I graduated in '03, went to a private school in Wa state where I did misserably coming from a public school and didn't really know what I wanted to do after I came back home, here in Houston. For about 3-4 semesters, I've been struggling with what I wanted to do as a career path and didn't really put any effort at all in my school work. Although, I can do extremely well when I try, I often couldn't find the motivation to do so. I once did a group project by myself and still got a perfect 100; no one else's in the class did. So anyway, my GPA is really, for lack of a better term, piss poor; like 1.5 maybe. Terrible! I know. So I guess my question is this: Now that I do know what I want to do and given that I eventually make up my GPA to a decent 3.0, do you think I might recieve some harsh feedback or get rejected from a college, like University of Houston where I want to get my undergrad and PharmD? I know working in a pharmacy will atleast get me a few letters of recommendation, but I fear it might now be enough. Ugh, now that I know what I want to do, I just want to get it done and over with as quickly as possible to make up for lost time.

Anyway, I'm rambling so just let me know what you think.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, so here's my skinny: I graduated in '03, went to a private school in Wa state where I did misserably coming from a public school and didn't really know what I wanted to do after I came back home, here in Houston. For about 3-4 semesters, I've been struggling with what I wanted to do as a career path and didn't really put any effort at all in my school work. Although, I can do extremely well when I try, I often couldn't find the motivation to do so. I once did a group project by myself and still got a perfect 100; no one else's in the class did. So anyway, my GPA is really, for lack of a better term, piss poor; like 1.5 maybe. Terrible! I know. So I guess my question is this: Now that I do know what I want to do and given that I eventually make up my GPA to a decent 3.0, do you think I might recieve some harsh feedback or get rejected from a college, like University of Houston where I want to get my undergrad and PharmD? I know working in a pharmacy will atleast get me a few letters of recommendation, but I fear it might now be enough. Ugh, now that I know what I want to do, I just want to get it done and over with as quickly as possible to make up for lost time.

Anyway, I'm rambling so just let me know what you think.

I'm having difficulty figuring exactly how much college time you have in. Is it 3-4 semesters total, or is it more than that? If it's only 4 semesters, then chances are good, with some focus, that you can raise that GPA to 3.0+ in a relatively short period of time (about the time it would take to get a Bachelor's) If it's been more than that you may have to take enough courses for a Masters to bring that GPA up high enough, unless these were less than full course load semesters.
Either way, with some work, experience, etc, you should be able to do fine. Just make sure you stay focused, it won't take too many more slips to find yourself in an undesirable position.