into the future

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by gochi, Apr 20, 2007.

1. gochi

10+ Year Member

Hey,

I see ppl getting into d-school with 3.1-3.4 GPAS...im just wondering, 4yrs down, will this still be enough ? Any predictions ?

thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. xdianaax

xdianaax In memory of Riley Jane
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    This has been discussed a lot on this forum...there's no way of telling really, we can only go by stats from year to year...get the highest GPA you can and then hope for the best when your time comes...good luck!

4. Fuji

2+ Year Member

All signs point to dental school getting more competitive. But remember that there are few schools that actually have a minimum GPA cut-off. A 2.5 might be enough to get you in if the remainder of your application is stellar.

One thing about the future is for sure. In 5 years we will all be driving flying cars.

5. pre-dentalguy

pre-dentalguy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Dental school predictions of higher competition has been posted in many articles and new publications, but there is only so much more competition that can be increased. There will always be room for 3.1'ers!! Remember one thing.. "Diversity is the key"

Marion

6. maksidaa

maksidaa shaniqua
    7+ Year Member

you also have to remember that all those 3.1's getting in are really good ice skaters and/or robot mechanics. if you are not one of those 2 professions, then good luck!

7. thomasjm

thomasjm Member
    5+ Year Member

I think that if you apply early, and the rest of you app is good, there will always be a broad range of GPAs.

I was recently at a school speaking with an admissions committee member who said that they turn away ppl with 4.0 GPAs because they apply so late.

8. 1992Corolla

1992Corolla CheerioKing
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    10 years ago people with 3.1's were accepted.
    5 years ago, 2 years ago, this year, same thing.
    5 years from now and 10 years yes.

The numbers may not be as great though.

9. thefrontrow

5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Everything is cyclical. If economy starts to really bad, then chances are less people will apply. Admission stats go down.

10. Dr.Jamie

Dr.Jamie New Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    i definately agree that there is a cycle. My uncle got in in the 80's and he is shocked at how competitve it is. He was recruited by schools, and he had a lower GPA than me...and i'm struggling. I see apps starting to decline when 1) people that are getting in now realize they hate it, and don't encourage others to do it, and 2)when the economy changes.
    Also, i'm sure there will be aspects of dentistry that become unappealing to people.

11. armorshell

armorshell One Man Freak Show
    Physician Dentist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Actually applications and competition in health careers usually go up when the economy starts to tank. Promises of high pay and job security start luring people away from their now poorly paying jobs.