Intraocular Lens Implant questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uRabbit

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I was five, I had a severe accident involving my oldest brother, a stick, and my left eye. Long story short, I have an intraocular lens implant in that eye. My vision is horrible in that eye. It's also quite lazy.

I am twenty-one now and am preparing myself for my college career in an unrelated field.

However, I wanted to come here and ask some questions about it.

Are there furthering technologies that may be able to help people, who currently have these implants, obtain better vision?

Are there any current technologies that could do this?

My optometrist said that the only thing anyone could do for me is to put a larger lens in (since my eye has grown since I was five), which would only reduce the strength of my contact/glasses Rx.

I know there are corneal transplants. I'm wondering why the IOL does not improve vision to 20/20 and why one can not receive a "used" real lens from a cadaver.

Thanks a lot! Cheers!

Members don't see this ad.

As far as a donor lens, it is just not done. A clear plastic lens is better. It may be possible,but it is just not done.

A new intraocular lens may benefit you from a refractive perspective, but it may be that your eye is amblyopic (lazy) and not capable of better vision than you have now. Not being familiar with the specifics of your case, you may also have traumatic damage to structures responsible for obtaining good vision; cornea, iris, retina/macula, optic nerve, etc. Keep in mind that any additional surgery does not come without some amount of risk.

I think what you should do here is, first, have a conversation and really listen to your current OD who is familiar with your case. If that converstaion does not make you feel better, seek a second or third opinion. BUT, beware of falling into the mental trap of trying anything to improve you vision. It may be that what you have is what you have. The answer here may be, again depending on the specifics of your case, one of acceptance. Remember, things may not be able to be improved, but they can always get worse!

If you've made it to 21 and are entering college, it seems to me that you are certainly functional. Think twice before you risk making your vision worse in an attempt to improve things. If that happens, the cost will likely add insult to injury.

I am unaware of any new technology in the treatment of amblyopia or traumatic damage cases.

Good luck in college.

Peace.

I have amblyopia and some sort of trauma; I cannot remember exactly. The sliver of the stick (when this happened) punctured my cornea, if I remember correctly.

I am indeed quite functional. I outweigh my disability with my personable demeanor and my great sense of humour.

Was just curious, is all.

Thanks a lot! :)