Intraoperative fluids

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

forbes270

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys
i have been searching for good articles that describe exactly how much fluids do we need to give intraoperatively based on hours of fasting, weight, and various losses that they take into consideration.
If anyone can talk about any method in their hospital, that too would be helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

Guys
i have been searching for good articles that describe exactly how much fluids do we need to give intraoperatively based on hours of fasting, weight, and various losses that they take into consideration.
If anyone can talk about any method in their hospital, that too would be helpful.

Guys

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys

Are there any articles where they
describe how much fluids to be exactly given intraoperatively taking all types of losses into consideration?

It was a server glitch and this person kept trying to post a new thread, hitting the button because it didn't load immediately. As the person is not a donor, this person couldn't delete the redundancies.

The time is at the same time I 1. had the same thing happen and 2. there's a website backup (I believe).

It was a server glitch and this person kept trying to post a new thread, hitting the button because it didn't load immediately. As the person is not a donor, this person couldn't delete the redundancies.

The time is at the same time I 1. had the same thing happen and 2. there's a website backup (I believe).

Alright then thanks. I was not aware of a glitch.

Guys

Kind of a broad question....fluid resuscitation/administration is dependent on numerous variables both patient dependent and non-patient dependent...that I think you need to narrow down your question a little.

are you asking about replacing the so called "deficit" that is a "myth" that has become a "legend".

are you asking about the "third space" losses that we all talk about.

are you asking about the mythic "3 to 1" replacement for blood loss

are you talking about resuscitation for patients with "oxygen debt" secondary either to sepsis or prolonged volume loss....the "first hit"....

are you talking about "maintenance" fluids....

Water/Sodium metabolism is something that one can write a Chapter on and spend countless hours discussing....

My favorite topic. Let's start at the beginning. In 1957 Malcolm Holliday and William Segar published what has become the seminal paper on fluid management. Gospel. 'THE MAINTENANCE NEED FOR WATER IN PARENTERAL FLUID THERAPY'. You need to start with that, so here is a link:
http://pediatrics.uchicago.edu/chiefs/documents/ogmaintenance.pdf
Look at the results, and how they gathered their data, read the paper like it was just published. Because for all intents and purposes it was, every resident in pediatrics (and anesthesia for that matter) can recite the formulae that came from this very paper. Then ask yourself if you buy it.

Unfortunately at this point there are no solid rules to follow when it comes to perioperative fluid replacement since all the rules that used to be taught in the past on how to predict the volume needed are cuurently being scrutinized.
The current tendency is to be conservative in replacing fluids which seems to correlate with better outcomes.
This is one of the areas where the experience and judgment of the anesthesiologist play a crucial role.

Guys

Unfortunately at this point there are no solid rules to follow when it comes to perioperative fluid replacement since all the rules that used to be taught in the past on how to predict the volume needed are cuurently being scrutinized.
The current tendency is to be conservative in replacing fluids which seems to correlate with better outcomes.
This is one of the areas where the experience and judgment of the anesthesiologist play a crucial role.

You obviously didn't read my post... or, you did and you're ignoring it/showing your ignorance.

See? You should read what I write. You might learn something.

-copro