Intravenous Measurement: g/sq m

Started by Blam
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Blam

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was trying to read some medical journals online and I do not understand why you would measure an intravenous medicine in grams per square meter. What is being measured in square meters?
 
I was trying to read some medical journals online and I do not understand why you would measure an intravenous medicine in grams per square meter. What is being measured in square meters?

This is a strange statement/question.....you were just randomly "trying to read some medical journals"??? For what?

Most chemotherapeutic agents are dosed in milligrams per square meter, with square meters corresponding to one's body surface area....
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Oftentimes used for pediatric dosing too.

Hey! You find a jacket?

HAHA, just got back from Columbus this afternoon. I actually had to borrow a jacket from my co-resident, who comes from the Midwest originally.
 
What everyone else said....

It's basically just a way to ensure that larger patients get larger doses and smaller patients get smaller doses. It's typically done with chemo drugs--these can be highly toxic, so you don't want to give a dose too large for the patient's body to handle.