Intro Chem Waste of Time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Techmed07

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys I am taking this intro chem class and I am doing very well. However it isnt Gen Chem, So I feel it is a waste of time. Will this class help me any wit Gen Chem? Here are the specific things Ive learned.

Outcomes: [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]through the general learning outcomes of enabling the student to understand, construct, and evaluate relationships in the natural sciences, and to understand the basis for building and testing theories. The fully successful student will also realize the following specific learning outcomes:
1) Understand the general properties of matter.
2) Understand the phase changes that maters undergoes.
3) Perform mathematical manipulations such as unit analysis with proper attention to units and significant figures.
4) Explain atomic spectra and electronic configurations based on the results of elementary quantum mechanics.
5) Name and classify ionic compounds, covalent compounds;
6) Calculate amounts of chemicals involved in reactions based on balanced chemical equations and the mole concept.
7) Visualize molecules with proper molecular and electronic geometries as predicted by VSEPR theory.
8) Identify and predict the outcome of the various types of chemical reactions including acid-base and precipitation reactions.
9) Understand the physical and molecular nature of solutions, Calculate and utilize solution concentration units, e.g. molarity.
10) Recognize oxidation-reduction reactions using the concept of oxidation numbers.

Will this class help me alot with gen chem or could I have faired without?.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's a waste of time (I took gen chem w/o either AP or intro chem classes and got an A), but you're already taking it, so what's the point?

Sounds like it's the first few weeks of gen chem1. At least it'll be an easy A.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a side question somewhat related to this topic... Do most schools require you to take 1 yr of upper lvl chem if you AP out of gen chem? Or is it just "recommended"?? I APed out of gen chem but I don't want to take P chem... heard it's ridiculously challenging...

I have a side question somewhat related to this topic... Do most schools require you to take 1 yr of upper lvl chem if you AP out of gen chem? Or is it just "recommended"?? I APed out of gen chem but I don't want to take P chem... heard it's ridiculously challenging...

I think it depends on the schools that you're applying to. You should check with them or your advisor to figure this one out definitively. You don't want to get set a year behind by not knowing for sure.

To the OP, I think if you've gained some knowledge from your principles of chemistry course that you feel will allow you to better understand General Chemistry then I definitely don't think you wasted your time. My Ex took the Principles class and it definitely helped her in Gen Chem I.

Plus, don't look back at the choices you've already made and ask yourself if you wasted your time, because that is a waste of time. Just learn from those choices and be done with them.

but you're already taking it, so what's the point?

That's what I thought. Don't dwell on the choices you have already made, but use them to help you in your future choices.

It does build a foundation for Gen Chem I for those who have difficulty comprehending the subject. It should nonetheless help you in Chemistry I.

I've taken intro chem and gen chem 1, almost done with gen chem 2 now. Personally, I think I could have taken gen chem 1 without having done intro chem first and have still gotten an A without too much difficulty (despite having no chemistry in high school); the concepts you learn in 1A aren't that difficult. Granted, you have to work a lot of problems to understand the material, but welcome to science. ;)

That being said, taking intro chem first certainly won't hurt you. As others pointed out, it's an easy A, and it'll make gen chem 1 that much easier since you'll already know some of the material.

I'm in a similar class this semester (it's called chem 100 at my school, gen chem 1 is chem 102). It is SUPER easy I have something like a 103% or something dumb.

I took it because I never paid attention in HS and slept through HS chemistry. I'm glad I took it because a lot of chemistry concepts will be in my head for next semester and this easy A is a boost to my moral and GPA. Not all the classes you take are going to have 25% averages or be integral to everything you do the rest of your life. The only disadvantage is that I'm one semester behind on my chem pre-reqs (I didnt take any science pre reqs this semester).

I'm in a similar class this semester (it's called chem 100 at my school, gen chem 1 is chem 102). It is SUPER easy I have something like a 103% or something dumb.

I took it because I never paid attention in HS and slept through HS chemistry. I'm glad I took it because a lot of chemistry concepts will be in my head for next semester and this easy A is a boost to my moral and GPA. Not all the classes you take are going to have 25% averages or be integral to everything you do the rest of your life. The only disadvantage is that I'm one semester behind on my chem pre-reqs (I didnt take any science pre reqs this semester).

Yeah I suppose my class is also super easy. I have an 103 in it but the average of the class is possibly at the moment a 67..meh I just wanted to see what you all thought on intro chem.

My school requires IChem before GChem if you don't have HS Chem or suck on the placement.