Intro classes for recommended prerequisites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

katiebell

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I am wondering if intro classes will satisfy the recommended courses for dental school. The school I am aiming for is University of Michigan, due to location and the fact that I am not a traditional student, I have a child and cannot just move out of state. At michigan, it is recommended you take anatomy, physiology, histology, speech and art ( i thought the art one was weird, but I did take an art class over the summer for fun). I have all of those except histology. But the anatomy and physiology I took was human anatomy and physiology for dietetics. and it was a 200 class.
2 required courses I am concerned about are micro and biochem. The biochem I am taking is Foundations of Biochemistry ( 300 lev.), it is NOT Biochemistry 1 which would be 400. And the Microbiology I took was Microbiology for Health Professions ( 300 lv.) Everything else I have and know it satisfies. these were my only concerns. Especially the ones that are just recommended. Has anyone taken courses similar to these and gotten an interview?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys! I am wondering if intro classes will satisfy the recommended courses for dental school. The school I am aiming for is University of Michigan, due to location and the fact that I am not a traditional student, I have a child and cannot just move out of state. At michigan, it is recommended you take anatomy, physiology, histology, speech and art ( i thought the art one was weird, but I did take an art class over the summer for fun). I have all of those except histology. But the anatomy and physiology I took was human anatomy and physiology for dietetics. and it was a 200 class.
2 required courses I am concerned about are micro and biochem. The biochem I am taking is Foundations of Biochemistry ( 300 lev.), it is NOT Biochemistry 1 which would be 400. And the Microbiology I took was Microbiology for Health Professions ( 300 lv.) Everything else I have and know it satisfies. these were my only concerns. Especially the ones that are just recommended. Has anyone taken courses similar to these and gotten an interview?
For biochemistry, you are definitely ok doing the 300 level course. For micro, you should definitely be ok as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
also know that "recommended" is the same as "required" for applying to most schools :).

"Required" courses should be at the same level of those acceptable for a major. Intro courses are not acceptable for majors. You might want to check with the schools in question before you take a dive.

Reactions: 1 users
For biochemistry, you are definitely ok doing the 300 level course. For micro, you should definitely be ok as well.
I disagree.

Doc toothache is right.

TMDSAS (the application service for the 3 Texas schools) specifically states in regards to prerequisite courses:

"Courses for non-science majors or for health career majors (nursing, pharmacy, allied health sciences, etc.) will NOT satisfy the required coursework. All required coursework must be applicable towards a traditional science degree."

I'm assuming most dental schools share this opinion.

I disagree.

Doc toothache is right.

TMDSAS (the application service for the 3 Texas schools) specifically states in regards to prerequisite courses:

"Courses for non-science majors or for health career majors (nursing, pharmacy, allied health sciences, etc.) will NOT satisfy the required coursework. All required coursework must be applicable towards a traditional science degree."

I'm assuming most dental schools share this opinion.
I disagree to your disagreement. The dental school in my state accepts the 300 level biochem course. I'm sure most would. Micro isn't required at my state school but if it was if it was you I'm sure you could take any micro course.

In addition, taking a class for health career majors means if a class was taken in nursing school, or some other allied profession. If you haven't been to nursing school or some other allied profession, you don't have to worry there either.

Last edited:
Micro isn't required, but I'm sure if it was you could take any micro course.
Micro is required by at least one dental school, and no, a micro course that is "for non-science majors" would not be accepted as a prereq, at least not in TX. See above.

Micro is required by at least one dental school, and no, a micro course that is "for non-science majors" would not be accepted as a prereq, at least not in TX. See above.
My undergrad certainly doesn't have a microbiology class for non science majors, and I would be surprised if any school did. If the class has a prefix BIOL (or whatever the abbreviation for biology is at your school), then it is acceptable for dental school. Because at that point it can be applied towards a biology (or other science) major.

And the Microbiology I took was Microbiology for Health Professions ( 300 lv.)
So to answer your question OP, if that Microbiology class had a BIOL prefix, then I am confident that it is completely fine for dental school. Also, I know the biochem level 300 class is completely ok.

My undergrad certainly doesn't have a microbiology class for non science majors, and I would be surprised if any school did. If the class has a prefix BIOL (or whatever the abbreviation for biology is at your school), then it is acceptable for dental school. Because at that point it can be applied towards a biology (or other science) major.

Okay, well I guess you'd be in for a lot of surprises then.

I completed a few prereqs at a school that offered 2 different intro micro courses:

-Medical Microbiology: "This course is designed for health science majors." People take this to apply to the nursing program.

-General Microbiology: "This course is designed for science majors." People take this when going for a biology degree.

They both have BIOL prefixes. They are not both applicable to a science degree; they are not both acceptable for dental school.

I completed a few prereqs at a school that offered 2 different intro micro courses:

-Medical Microbiology: "This course is designed for health science majors." People take this to apply to the nursing program.

-General Microbiology: "This course is designed for science majors." People take this when going for a biology degree.

They both have BIOL prefixes. They are not both applicable to a science degree; they are not both acceptable for dental school.
The fact of the matter is that the other could still be applied to a BIOL major. The only way you could know for sure is by contacting the school (if they require microbiology) and asking them directly. At my undergrad, there are two microbiology classes, a 200 level and a 300 level. So the OP is probably good, and has taken the "general microbiology" class you are referring to.

https://cns.utexas.edu/images/CNS/H...sing_aids/PD_Courses_Dec2014-121914_final.pdf
Says that Medical Microbiology is acceptable for TMDSAS if you're talking about UT Austin.
I took the class and it also counts towards my upper division biology requirement.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not talking about UT Austin. :)
Oh really, not talking about UT Austin? The only Texas school that requires Microbiology? What school are you talking about then? Somebody just got caught with their back against the wall, giving bad advice when they had no idea what they are talking about.

Oh really, not talking about UT Austin? The only Texas school that requires Microbiology? What school are you talking about then? Somebody just got caught with their back against the wall, giving bad advice when they had no idea what they are talking about.

Calm down, I'm talking about undergrad UT Austin. Not the dental San Antonio or Houston UT.

Reactions: 2 users
tumblr_m0am6uj8RJ1rqr624o1_400.gif

lol ok whatever, ask the school end of story. No use arguing about it hah

Haha yeah I confused Austin with San Antonio. I realized that a few moments after posting. Oops. :playful: I'm not from Texas

Are you sure you don't want to change your answer, considering UT Houston is "the only Texas school that requires Microbiology"?

It almost seems like... how does it go again? Oh yes...
Somebody just got caught with their back against the wall, giving bad advice when they had no idea what they are talking about.

tanesha-side-eye-gif.gif

As already stated - give the school a call. Take the advice given on the forum (and any forum) with a grain of salt. Last thing you want to do is explain to dental schools that you took a specific course because so-and-so on the forums said it would be ok..