intro letter to admissions ?

Started by crusinmsu
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

crusinmsu

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I am in the process of writing up letters to each of the schools in my state that I'm looking to apply to (Next cycle - 09) and was wondering if it was ok to go ahead and introduce myself to them? just giving a brief background of myself and that i'm taking classes at a local CC and seeing how the university views that issue, etc. what do you guys think? figured it couldn't hurt to get an early intro out to the schools I'll hope to form a relationship with within the years to come. thanks for your input.😍
 
Hi, I am in the process of writing up letters to each of the schools in my state that I'm looking to apply to (Next cycle - 09) and was wondering if it was ok to go ahead and introduce myself to them? just giving a brief background of myself and that i'm taking classes at a local CC and seeing how the university views that issue, etc. what do you guys think? figured it couldn't hurt to get an early intro out to the schools I'll hope to form a relationship with within the years to come. thanks for your input.😍

If you have a specific question such as "Does the school accept pre-reqs done at community college?" then send an e-mail (or short note) asking your question but leave the "letter of introduction" alone. A well-written and competitive application needs no other introduction. You do need to make sure that your community college courses are Ok. I can't imagine that they wouldn't be but a couple of schools might not want pre-reqs done at community college. I am sure they are in a minority but you don't want to waste tuition dollars if the courses are not acceptable. Good luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
what's wrong with the intro letter?

This is not a job application. Medical schools get at least 10 and often 100 applications for every available slot and generally don't want to read anything they don't have to. Same goes for additional letters of recommendation, etc. If you have a question ask it as briefly as possible. Otherwise make your introduction in your AMCAS essay.
 
what's wrong with the intro letter?
Do you like getting junk mail?

You can send a letter asking questions. There's a good chance they'll answer your questions. They will throw out your letter.

But I can't imagine med schools want unsolicited letters from folks that they may not want to know. Once you hit submit on AMCAS, they'll get a great introduction to you in your personal statement. They'll get a handle on who you are by the 14 talking points in your primary. If they like what they see and how you perform on tests and classes, they'll send you a secondary, where you can further introduce yourself. Eventually, if they still like you, they'll want to meet you in person.

There's a process. Sending anything to a med school prior to applying (or anything unsolicited while applying) is spam.
 
what's wrong with the intro letter?

You must always consider any interactions as a continuous interview. Think about it-why do you dress to the nines and walk on egg shells at interviews-so you don't make a bad impression. What is the best that can happen, balanced against what is the worst that can happen. Since you are so far away from applying, I can think of no real good benefit of an intro letter (the ADCOMS could understandably forget once 10,000 apps come in) However, the negatives may be what was mentioned-I am planning on improving my app thru CC (not ideal) or seem like you are trying to bargain for some sort of promise (which they will never do-even if you had a 4.0/42 MCAT, I would imagine a few schools might not give you the acceptance. Why would they ever open themselves up to potential complaints?)

On a slightly related note-you should look at the interview section of SDN and see the questions that are asked, the prep. students did for the med interview, impressions, etc. etc. etc.) I think you will find that this process was a somber, conservative process where you let your qualities (the application) speak for yourself rather than opening your mouth and risking putting in your foot!

Good luck!
 
some of your reply didn't make sense to me. "However, the negatives may be what was mentioned-I am planning on improving my app thru CC (not ideal)" what do you mean by that ?

also wouldn't you expect an applicant to want to do some research beyond what is presented online and books to find out what they really think ? it's called initiative.
 
some of your reply didn't make sense to me. "However, the negatives may be what was mentioned-I am planning on improving my app thru CC (not ideal)" what do you mean by that ?

also wouldn't you expect an applicant to want to do some research beyond what is presented online and books to find out what they really think ? it's called initiative.

Sorry-I realize that the posts came back uniformly "don't write the letter," and we tried to justify-but it seemed like piling on.

It is my understanding that there is a slight bias against CC. I was trying to state that I can't imagine a condition where a massive effort through CC would swing an (otherwise) non-competitive application. There are several posts in non-trad forum which state that it is a bad idea to take all pre-reqs through CC, or any significant fraction of other (non-BCPM) through CC. I can't imagine a reason to bring up CC in an intro letter, IMHO.

I also highly caution against expecting to have the ADCOMS tell you what they really think. Nevermind the legitimate reason that they can't accept all competitive applicants. Nevermind the fact that they are constantly hounded by various beauracratic factions. Nevermind the fact that initiative can be viewed by some as being annoying. I think it is simpler-no ADCOM is going to give anysort of semblance of a position which could be the basis of a law-suit; just isn't worth any sort of liability. Which is why many "research" on SDN-this is the wikipedia of the med school process-unsolicited and occasionally errant, but usually self correcting and generally accurate in the grand scheme of things. But once again, these are just my opinions, I mean no disrepect, and feel free to ignore it.

That said, I will try to offer a constructive solution. In the spring, many med schools offer open houses (many on weekends). I would visit several of those and try to make an impression there. This may be a little less intrusive, and insofar as it is an all day event, you might have a legitimate opportunity to introduce both yourself and some of your circumstances to some important folk (deans of admissions, financial aid, etc.) You have to register for the open houses, so the registration process might be a slight open door.

Once again-apologies if I offended. Was not my intent
 
Total Respect and I appreciate your being candid with me. that is the reason I ask the tough questions before I sent out the letters. you're right and I will refrain from doing so.