Introducing yourself to a patient...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How do you introduce yourself?

• Total voters

pinipig523

I like my job!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So when you guys introduce yourselves to a patient, how do you do it?

Do you go:

- My name is Dr. So-and-So...

or

- My name is Jim...

I really don't care if patients call me either way but I tried both. The one thing I noticed was that patients felt more comfortable with me and more confident in the care if I introduced myself as a "doctor" and considerably less if I was casual with them.

I don't know, I thought it was interesting.

Members don't see this ad.

Slightly different then the provided choice, but usually very close to "Hi, I'm Brian Eno and I'll be your doctor while you're in the ED."

See above post. Although to be fair, I clung to "I'm Dr. X" up to my fourth year of residency. Establishing rapport (vs. establising credentials) becomes more important as an attending, especially because you don't have someone to bail you out if you can't establish a therapeutic relationship with the patient.

Members don't see this ad :)
I use Dr. xx. It's hard enough, as a female, to convince patients I'm not a nurse. Using my first name just makes it harder.

Depends on the patient

Under 18ish: "Hi my name's Jimmy, I'm one of the doctors here."
Aged 20-45ish: "Hello my name's Jimmy So&so, I'm one of the doctors here."
Aged >55ish: "Hello my name is Dr. So&so."

Drug seekers/ drunks etc. "Hello my name is Dr. So&so."

I always introduce myself as "doctor", only because I look about 19 years old, and patients would otherwise think I was a nurse, tech, or medical student.

The few times I haven't introduced myself as "doctor" I've had patients complain that they "didn't even get to see a doctor".

I introduce myself as Dr so-and-so, almost always. Our title gives us therapeutic distance and seems to allow the patient to tell us things they wouldn't tell anyone else. Quite simply, I would not want "Jimmy" sticking his finger up my a-- and I might not like telling "Sarah" my right testicle hurts and I have blisters on my penis.

I am not vain, and I really do not care for the title any more than it allow me to do my job, but I think clinicians should benefit their patients by using a professional title.

I have a great benefit. My last name is kind of hard to spell, but my first name, Quinn, is easy to remember. So I tell the patients, "Hi (shake hand, always), my name is Dr. Quinn *last name*, feel free to call me Dr. Quinn or Dr. *last name*."

One of my fave attendings from residency always introduced himself as Dr. Firstname Lastname. I am of the same thread.
Q

I introduce myself as Dr so-and-so, almost always. Our title gives us therapeutic distance and seems to allow the patient to tell us things they wouldn't tell anyone else. Quite simply, I would not want "Jimmy" sticking his finger up my a-- and I might not like telling "Sarah" my right testicle hurts and I have blisters on my penis.

I am not vain, and I really do not care for the title any more than it allow me to do my job, but I think clinicians should benefit their patients by using a professional title.

I agree 100%.

I always introduce myself as "doctor", only because I look about 19 years old, and patients would otherwise think I was a nurse, tech, or medical student.

The few times I haven't introduced myself as "doctor" I've had patients complain that they "didn't even get to see a doctor".

And this happens to me all the time because they ask me if I'm 18 atleast once every 2-3 shifts.

I usually introduce myself as Dr So-and-So, but with children I grin at them and say "M to you". I sometimes introduce myself as Dr M So-and-So. When I started as a resident I said "Hi, I'm M, a doctor working in the emerg today", but that led to a lot of people thinking I was a nurse or a respiratory tech or something else that's not a doctor so I gave up. With my regular patients in the office though (we're a smaller hospital in Nova Scotia, Canada, so many of the emerg docs are also family docs) I use my first name and let them chose what to call me. Many of them know my parents and my siblings so it's kind of nice that way (although occasionally awkward, particularly the ones who've known me since I was a baby).
With the drug seekers and the ones who look like they're going to be trouble, definitely "Dr So-and-So", and little or no response to questions about where I'm from. Cheers,
M

'Hi, I'm Doctor X. What's it gonna take to get a good Press-Ganey score from you today?"

Take care,
Jeff <- I jest, I jest. Sort of.

'Hi, I'm Doctor X. What's it gonna take to get a good Press-Ganey score from you today?"

Take care,
Jeff <- I jest, I jest. Sort of.

You laugh, but we had a presenter for acute psych issues hand out a paper that recommended giving angry people decaff iced cappucinos. You know, because water isn't good enough anymore.
I have had people complain about the Cokes, and want pepsi/7-up/beer/vodka.

Members don't see this ad :)
I definitely go with Dr. It's hard enough for patient's to tell who the doctor is if you're not even going to say so. I can't count the number of times I've gone in to talk to a patient right after the resident left, introduced myself and said "I'm the supervising doctor working with Dr. Resident today." They always look at me and say "who?" They don't remember the residents because instead of saying "I'm Dr. Resident" they say "Hey, I'm Jim, and I'm going to be your doctor today." All the patients hear is "I'm Jim Blah Blah Blah." Introduce yourself as doctor. The patients already don't know who is who, don't stress them out trying to figure out who the doctor is.

I'm Dr. lastname, and my patients can call me Dr. lastname. I call my patients Ms. or Mr. unless they ask to be called by their first name.

I always start with "I'm Dr Lastname" because I don't think patients really want their medical care delievered by some dude named "Dave"

I usually just walk in the room and wait a moment. It only takes about that long for them to see my wolf t-shirt and know that I am without a doubt...a doctor.

PS: If you're wondering if it works on blind people, you're apparently unfamiliar with the power of said t-shirt.

Reference: http://www.amazon.com/Mountain-Thre...r_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1269068780&sr=8-1

I must say I've always wondered about the people who can't figure out I'm not a nurse when I'm wearing chinos and a dress shirt (or jeans and a dress shirt, or cords, depending on the day) and all the nurses are running around in scrubs - and I've introsuced myself as a doctor. I know I'm female and all, but the clothing cue you think would tip them off. Then again, I've always thought that the majority of people are somewhat dim and definitely unobservant (or perhaps those adjectives should be switched?). Cheers,
M

I usually just walk in the room and wait a moment. It only takes about that long for them to see my wolf t-shirt and know that I am without a doubt...a doctor.

PS: If you're wondering if it works on blind people, you're apparently unfamiliar with the power of said t-shirt.

Reference: http://www.amazon.com/Mountain-Thre...r_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1269068780&sr=8-1

I've worked at EDs that have very relaxed dress code and where the admitting resident once wore a mickey mouse tshirt and jeans with a stethascope on top. I've always wondered what pts think of this. Yes I can be professional and introduce myself correctly and appropriately but when I come in looking like their teenage son might look like going to school, do they lose a little respect/trust for me. Frankly, I think the pts should trust us regardless of what you wear or look like. But the reality is that people judge everyone before we can even utter a word.

I think you can't go wrong with Dr. Lastname when you enter a pt's room or bedside, unless the pt is a child and so I would introduce myself as Dr. Lastname to the parent. I think it does two things: 1) Efficiently states to the pt your title and what you will be doing and 2) Makes it easy for the pt to remember your name (that is if the pt is paying attention and your last name is easy to pronounce/remember). If you are an ER resident/attending, then this simple form is fine and you can add "I will be supervising Dr. Intern". If you are a consulting resident or admitting resident, you have to try to add that you are from xyz service and will be examining/taking care of the pt when pt goes to xyz unit. If this is not done, it's hard for the pt to keep track of all of the healthcare team. I've found that sometimes these consulting residents don't do a good job communicating their role/name/specialty to the pt and then pt doesn't know your name or who was it that talked with them about their condition/care plan/diagnosis.

Have any of you noticed a difference in EDs where dressing codes exist? As in techs wear this color scrubs, nurses another, docs another, resp therapy another, etc? I would think as a patient, I wouldn't pay that much attention unless I were able to see everyone walking around and notice only certain colors. Only then would I notice.

Have any of you noticed a difference in EDs where dressing codes exist? As in techs wear this color scrubs, nurses another, docs another, resp therapy another, etc? I would think as a patient, I wouldn't pay that much attention unless I were able to see everyone walking around and notice only certain colors. Only then would I notice.

I've worked in EDs where there is a dresscode and nurses, ED residents, techs, other residents wear different color scrubs. Honestly, I don't think that pts pay enough attention to these things for there to be any difference. I think it's done more so that we know who is who and so that the nurses/techs know who's writing the orders and asking for help. I think this is useful occasionally if the ED is crazy and there's lots of consulting residents around, so that the ED residents know which resident is what department and can discuss patients faster and more efficiently. But honestly, it's not that big of a deal. EDs with no dresscode don't have huge problems of confusion on this matter.

I vary my introduction depending on the day, but I'm started avoiding the handshake unless they're in their street clothes. I've walked into way too many rooms with young(and old) men in gowns and their hand on their junk watching TV. Plus, I've had at least a handful of rectals where the helpful patient pull their cheeks apart with both hands grazing the anus, and not think twice about it. Granted, they probably didn't play with their anus prior to my introduction, but still, not a hand I'm dying to shake.

I vary my introduction depending on the day, but I'm started avoiding the handshake unless they're in their street clothes. I've walked into way too many rooms with young(and old) men in gowns and their hand on their junk watching TV. Plus, I've had at least a handful of rectals where the helpful patient pull their cheeks apart with both hands grazing the anus, and not think twice about it. Granted, they probably didn't play with their anus prior to my introduction, but still, not a hand I'm dying to shake.

I don't shake hands either, and I tell patients it's for "infection control".

I have noticed that drug seekers go out of their way to smile and try to shake hands.

My father was recently admitted into a hospital with a color coded dress code, although this was the ICU, not ED.

My mother loved being able to differentiate the roles. Whenever she needed a nurse, she just had to look at one of the many color coded charts spread out across the hospital and pick them from the crowd. To make it even easier, all physicians wore either white or black scrubs, depending on their department.

I don't know if the majority of patients will notice or care, but I think it's worth doing. The thing is the hospital didn't seem to restrict anything else, so anyone can wear a white coat. But, the colors were very strict and the goal was to limit patient confusion. So, yeah, let that DNP introduce themselves as doctor. The light blue scrubs will still ID them as a nurse, so it shouldn't really matter.

I guess the point is why not try something this simple at more hospitals. This is more about helping patients and families rather than reinforcing egos, but I can see why some people would think this way.

My father was recently admitted into a hospital with a color coded dress code, although this was the ICU, not ED.

My mother loved being able to differentiate the roles. Whenever she needed a nurse, she just had to look at one of the many color coded charts spread out across the hospital and pick them from the crowd. To make it even easier, all physicians wore either white or black scrubs, depending on their department.

I don't know if the majority of patients will notice or care, but I think it's worth doing. The thing is the hospital didn't seem to restrict anything else, so anyone can wear a white coat. But, the colors were very strict and the goal was to limit patient confusion. So, yeah, let that DNP introduce themselves as doctor. The light blue scrubs will still ID them as a nurse, so it shouldn't really matter.

I guess the point is why not try something this simple at more hospitals. This is more about helping patients and families rather than reinforcing egos, but I can see why some people would think this way.

You brought up a great point that since many people now wear white coats, a strict color dress code would be helpful. I still remember going to see a pt in the ICU and then a resident (consult) came in and started asking me questions. When I couldn't answer certain things and I saw his confusion, I finally figured out he thought I was the nurse on with the patient all night. I explained I was a med student and was still trying to get caught up on the events from the night too. Disadvantages of being female. Even after explaining med student, many patients/families confused with nursing student. This is when titles will help.

This is why I figured we were required to wear the short white coat while on rotations but I doubt there is any information for the patients or the families differentiating students. It's already one thing to identify the staff.

I actually brought this up in another thread and I was surprised at how people just didn't like the idea or didn't think it would help. My counter was at how ridiculously easy it is to implement: a few laminated or thick plastic signs with color legends or have the legends on TV monitors through the hospital.

The issue is when the number of designations increase. I remember podiatrists at this hospital were maroon, but the thing was I was unsure if the hospital rotated pod students. What color would they wear? This goes for nursing, med, etc. It gets messy here.

The thing is start slow. Make it so all physicians must wear black or white scrubs and nurses must wear blue. There, done. Everyone else can wear whatever they feel is appropriate, but make a baseline distinction. It goes further than people think and it NOT hard to implement.

At one of the hospitals in Ireland where they were having a particularly hard time with nosocomial infections they made everyone in the hospital from the cleaners and porters to the consultants wear scrubs (not the usual practice most places in Ireland) that the hospital supplied. They were all the same colour (a fetching deep pink, actually:laugh:) but were labeled front and back with your job title in very large letters. It made it very clear who was who. One of my abiding regrets is that I didn't manage to steal a set of them to go with my orange "not for theatre use" scrubs (seriously, there's a huge box on the front of the shirt that says exactly that - it confuses the hell out of people). Completely off topic,
M

You had scrubs that said not for theater use? That sounds pretty funny actually.

I can see their efforts to reduce confusion, but really, imprinting credentials in large letters right on the scrubs? Honestly, if they can do this, they can do a color coded dress code system. I have seen one major hospital do this already; it can be done.

You had scrubs that said not for theater use? That sounds pretty funny actually.

I can see their efforts to reduce confusion, but really, imprinting credentials in large letters right on the scrubs? Honestly, if they can do this, they can do a color coded dress code system. I have seen one major hospital do this already; it can be done.

We could just go back to the old system whereby all doctors had to wear a suit and tie......

They do it at my hospital and at last check, it really only helps with people there often enough to know the roles, but not the people. The docs/nurses are there often enough to know the people, regardless of what they wear. People who go there every few days (consultants), or stay a few days on the floor(patients and families) eventually catch on. People who are there one time for a semi-stressful event probably wouldn't catch on if there were a legend posted on each person.

Your mother probably was more observant than the average person too. Also, I bet she didn't do it the first day, but rather after awhile (as above).
And to add; ick. White scrubs? Those are for nursing students and Duke interns.

I've worked in EDs where there is a dresscode and nurses, ED residents, techs, other residents wear different color scrubs. Honestly, I don't think that pts pay enough attention to these things for there to be any difference. I think it's done more so that we know who is who and so that the nurses/techs know who's writing the orders and asking for help.
They did a study here and found that it didn't make as big a difference for women. People still have stereotypes.

The "Not for Theatre Use" scrubs were in a different hospital and were and effort to keep staff from walking around the hospital in their theatre scrubs (the theatre in question being the OR). People were supposed to pull these on over their OR scrubs to keep them clean, or to change into them before leaving the OR. Infection control people were supposed to tackle anyone they saw outside the theatre area in scrubs that were not the approved orange non-OR scrubs. In reality, there were so few scrubs available at that particular hospital that the non-OR scrubs saw more action in the OR than out, and infection control quickly gave up on the whole scheme (or at least, that was the situation when I left. It might be different now). Cheers,
M