Introduction and questions.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

MaryWrathers

Hello,

I am new to the forum. I thank you all for your helpful posts which I read until the wee hours.

Stats:
Senior
Graduating w/ B.S. in Dec 05
GPA 3.75 comm. college (received A.S.)
GPA 4.00 at the 4-yr level (last two years)
took GRE, plan to take it again in August to get a 1250+
have not taken MCAT
have not taken nat sciences (pre reqs)
tons of research experience (doing an honors thesis now)
tons of volunteer experience
am wavering between Med school and a Ph.D. in a different field (choose not to state it here so early)

So, basically for possible admittance into med school I will need to have a 3.7+ in the nat. sciences and a 30+ on the MCAT.
Since I grad. in December, that gives me Spring-Fall 2006 and Spring 2007 to take the nat. sciences. Then, take the MCAT in April....take more classes in summer 07?...then take the MCAT again in August. I think I might go the informal route or a la carte since formal post bacc programs cost more? (or so I've been reading).

1. What will I be doing in Fall 07 and Spring 08 when waiting to hear about interviews/acceptances? Or, what did you do?
2. Do you have an recommendations as to the order of nat. sciences I should take? e.g., what should I take in the spring, etc.?
3. Can anyone enumerate for me the post bacc programs along with their linkages to med schools? I am really interested in moving to AZ, NM, or CA. Maybe even CO.

Thank you tremendously!!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I figured it was stupid of me to withold information. If I want the best help possible I should include as much as possible. My B.S. will be in psychology.

Thank you! :)

MaryWrathers said:
for possible admittance into med school I will need to have a 3.7+ in the nat. sciences and a 30+ on the MCAT.

Welcome,

While many pre-meds think the above statement is true, please be aware that these figures (assuming you've taken them from the AAMC) are averaged for all med schools combined. If you are not shooting for a top 25 school, you will notice the matriculation numbers are lower for lower tiered schools. A better rule of thumb would be looking at numbers for individual schools to which you plan on applying. However, it is never a bad thing to set your standards high.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Q? Can you take any pre-req's this summer or this fall before you graduate in December? Just asking before I post any opinions.

You are really doing a fantastic job in undergrad. :thumbup:

Hi Sunnyjohn,

I apologize for the delay. To answer your Q's, I can't take any pre-reqs this summer or fall because my schedules are jam packed. My schedule opens up in January 2006. I don't know in what order I should take the pre-reqs in the spring 2006 semester. Thank you for your help. :)